Walther Forums banner

This is more like it.

914 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  1917-1911M 
#1 · (Edited)

10 rounds of mini mags from 21' sitting in a chair. The biggest problem to me for target shooting is making the dot dim enough. It is a 4 moa which is ok except for the brightness. I'm getting a flare on the dot unless I look through my glasses just right. At least it appears to be my glasses because the flare changes as I move my head around. I'm due for new ones...these are over 20 years old although they are almost to spec on my Rx. What I was shooting for was a little black dot similar to the one up top. A problem with being on target is shooting off your point of aim. I need to raise my point of impact a bit so that I can concentrate on the target dot. 3.4" 2017 QD pistol. A long time ago I determined that for this type of shooting the dot needs to be really dim, almost translucent. The brightness on this one is automatic and by taping over part of the site I can dim it quite a bit...too dim for steel but it could be even dimmer for target shooting where you might want to see a tiny target. Still within minute of can.

My old MK III target pistol wouldn't do any better in my hands with a 2x Leupold on it. My naked eyes can't do this good through open sites anymore. Too many points to try to focus on. So far I'm really happy with this sight but I need to figure out how to dim it further. I want all the rounds going through the same hole....at 25M. 1917

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yeah, the pistol is cycling 100%. Well I take that back. I've been getting scattered light strikes...two in 100 or so. A really unusual event. I will get them if the chamber is dirty and the round doesn't quite seat. They aren't dud rounds. Second hammer fall and they fire which is an indication of a dirty chamber....however, the chamber doesn't appear to be dirty. This has the decocker in it and I'm beginning to wonder if the firing pin block or something is acting up. Just checked the chamber and firing pin movement. No problems there, moves smoothly and fully resets. Come to think of it my Son had a failure to fire on the 5" pistol the other day. I asked did you have the safety on. He didn't think so...but, I can't imagine the red dot causing any of this issue. I did check the ammo when it occurred and it was a light strike. CCI usually isn't the problem. The slide is not bouncing back...I've checked that too...wondering if 19 grams of additional weight might make the slide bounce back. Nope, not that I've noticed.

Something to work on....I like a few issues every once in a while. The sight is mounted to a glue on base and has no screws through the breech block. 1917

#5 ·
I'm disappointed....thought you knew sharp #2 pencil punched holes by now OF. Got any ideas on dimming the dot light? Heck we are locked down here, gun shops closed....but, I have plenty of .22 ammo so I will soldier on. Someone has to. This sight brightens up in bright light and dims in darker light...as you know. I can place tape over the top to knock some light off and that helps but I want it dimmer. Perhaps a small piece of dark glass in front of the beam. For normal shooting the brightness isn't an issue. You can certainly put the dot on the ear of a squirrel. I just don't like it too bright. I've been diabetic for 15 years of more and that might be part of it but placing my hand over the sight dims it almost enough. Not quite. I think a 3 moa would cause the same problems if too bright. I want a dull, round, red dot. No small flares.

BTW, I do have some groups with powder burns, back when I had mounted one of these in a rest to try to stop muzzle rise. Had a big chunk of wood 12" from the muzzle. Ha, all rounds did go right in the same hole. 1917

#4 ·
I'll check the mainspring on both pistols. It takes 8 lbs of pull to cock the hammer with a new spring.

Picking a few up off the ground. Not the heaviest firing pin hits I've ever seen but they look ok, I think. What do you guys think? Too light, time to put in a new mainspring? 1917

#6 ·
12"......now THAT's a target distance I like. I just looked for the optical light sensor on my RMS and I have no idea where it is.

I will say that for SD/HD purposes, I love the auto adjust. But, I also agree that when shooting at paper it'd be nice to be able to manually adjust the dot intensity.

#7 ·
I think it is in the little recess where the LED is. I don't think it is at the base of the lens.. Covering the rear of the sight but not enough to block the dot beam is as dim as I can get it. I can get it dim enough to see the dot on a 1/4" dia black dot aim point. Not bad, but I do have to block off the light. If I have a single point light above the pistol and look up toward the light the dot is bright. If I tilt the pistol down, causing the dot area to be in the shadow the dot dims. So, I'm assuming it is somewhere in the recess where the LED bulb is located. I'm going to e-mail them and see if they have any ideas. Outside and at 25M you need a bit brighter dot. It's good to go there. 1917

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.