Walther Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is it better though than a short barreled suitable caliber carbine? What advantages does it have over it?
For me, there were a couple of reasons I chose a pistol over an SBR. The first is that the pistol is not an NFA item. I can transport it freely and I could shoot it the day I bought it (in theory. No ranges were open then). Another reason is that I have a concealed pistol license and can, therefore, keep it concealed with ammunition in it. Also, I could replace the barrel with a longer one or even a full-length upper. However, I could not legally put a shorter barrel on a weapon that I purchased as a rifle unless I filed it as an SBR.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I have
For me, there were a couple of reasons I chose a pistol over an SBR. The first is that the pistol is not an NFA item. I can transport it freely and I could shoot it the day I bought it (in theory. No ranges were open then). Another reason is that I have a concealed pistol license and can, therefore, keep it concealed with ammunition in it. Also, I could replace the barrel with a longer one or even a full-length upper. However, I could not legally put a shorter barrel on a weapon that I purchased as a rifle.
Got it. That makes perfect sense.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
How is it better though than a short barreled suitable caliber carbine? What advantages does it have over it?

Once again, not arguing, looking to learn.
In states like NC where a concealed handgun permit applies only to handguns, a pistol with a brace qualifies as a handgun and can be legally concealed by holders of the state's concealed handgun permit.

A pistol with a brace can also readily be used by someone who has a condition or disability that would otherwise preclude practical use of a pistol (i.e. handgun lacking a stock) or rifle (i.e. shoulderable firearm that fires bullets instead of shot).

A pistol with a brace can also be legally used in ways other than per the brace's intended design (example: shouldering it). When done, one effectively gains all of the benefits of a SBR … without any of the ATF-related costs, effort, or future sale/transfer annoyances. The ATF has ruled that using a brace other than as-intended/designed does NOT constitute construction of a SBR … after much ridicule by firearm aficionados to the effect of: holding a revolver's grip against one's shoulder and then firing it would constitute construction of a SBR if 'use other than as intended/designed' were construed to equate to construction. It was after this ruling that the design and sale of braces took off.

As previously noted, a pistol with a brace is not a NFA item, so it doesn't hit the minefield of state laws regarding NFA items that SBR's do when it comes to interstate transport and use.

Last, some states have pistol hunting season during deer season -- which comes after bow season, after black powder season, but before rifle season. A pistol with a brace is … a pistol … and lets someone legally hunt just a little bit earlier … using a rifle-like pistol that's still … a pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
In states like NC where a concealed handgun permit applies only to handguns, a pistol with a brace qualifies as a handgun and can be legally concealed by holders of the state's concealed handgun permit.

A pistol with a brace can also readily be used by someone who has a condition or disability that would otherwise preclude practical use of a pistol (i.e. handgun lacking a stock) or rifle (i.e. shoulderable firearm that fires bullets instead of shot).

A pistol with a brace can also be legally used in ways other than per the brace's intended design (example: shouldering it). When done, one effectively gains all of the benefits of a SBR … without any of the ATF-related costs, effort, or future sale/transfer annoyances. The ATF has ruled that using a brace other than as-intended/designed does NOT constitute construction of a SBR … after much ridicule by firearm aficionados to the effect of: holding a revolver's grip against one's shoulder and then firing it would constitute construction of a SBR if 'use other than as intended/designed' were construed to equate to construction. It was after this ruling that the design and sale of braces took off.

As previously noted, a pistol with a brace is not a NFA item, so it doesn't hit the minefield of state laws regarding NFA items that SBR's do when it comes to interstate transport and use.

Last, some states have pistol hunting season during deer season -- which comes after bow season, after black powder season, but before rifle season. A pistol with a brace is … a pistol … and lets someone legally hunt just a little bit earlier … using a rifle-like pistol that's still … a pistol.
I get it now. Took a little bit to sink into my thick skull but now I get it.

Thx

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
And, if you pick the right components, you can reduce the recoil of a 5.56 to that of a 22. A real pleasure to shoot.

Basically, the difference between a carbine and an AR pistol is the AR pistol doesn't have a stock....it has a brace. They'll handle and shoot the same. However, with an AR pistol, you can go with really short barrels.....want a 4".....no problem. And, you've still got 30 rounds, very little recoil, but its gonna be really loud.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Took the Daniel Defense 300Blk to the range for first test of the "pistol", the BFD and the Sig Romeo5. Everything performed as advertised. First, I must admit that the red dot on the Romeo5 proved to be the best sight system I have ever seen/used. The dot is instantly visible as the pistol brace comes to the shoulder and there is absolutely no focus issues. Then comes the BFD....can't say enough. While it isn't as muffled as a suppressor the overall noise and blast was shielded from my ears and face....a real joy to shoot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I appreciate the thoughtful response surrealone.

Once again, not arguing, looking to learn.
Well for one there’s no tax stamp involved. That’s probably the biggest one for me. The trade off in my eyes between a SBR and an AR style pistol is the brace vs a stock. But many braces today compare well to a stock, and for its intended purpose - shorter ranges I don’t see a problem with a brace. Obviously if someone is looking to shoot 2” groups at 100 yards any shorter barrel isn’t ideal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Exactly. A pistol ia a pistol. A short range weapon at most. 3 inch groups at 50 yards is great with one of these AR-15 pistols. It is better than a handgun semi like a Glock or Sig, but the brace that allowes it to be shouldered is an advantage over a hand held only pistol.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Given recent goings-on, here is a worthwhile read for those in this thread:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find it very important to state facts of proven truth about shortening a barrel on a rifle cartridge barrel. I would never go below a 10 1/2 inch barrel with the 223/5.56. The 223/5.56 boolit has design and balistics engineered into it. First and most important. A 5.56 M855 ( Seal green tip ammo) will not create a wound chanel that is considered fatal under 2500 fps. So this means that the M855 must hit vitals. It is only a glorified souped up 22 magnum at 7 inches of barrel length. Also as you shorten the barrel you increase pressure in the chamber area of the cone taper not existing in straight walled pistol cartridges. So if you are going with the 223/5.56 caliber, it is highly advised to go no shorter than 9.5 inches to achieve the velocity the M855 was originally designed for. At 14.5 inches of barrel length, cut to 10.5 inches, increases the pressure levels 50% which at 8 inches increases 50% over the 10 1/2 inch barrel. So that is why the 300 Whisper, now the 300 BO was created. It is not nearly effected by short barrels due to it’s fast burning powder. Also a 350 Legend is immune to the effects of a shortened barrel due to its straight walled pistol like chamber. It also is a great choice for short barrels. My 350 Legend only has a 9.5 inch barrel, and until you grow the barrel to 16 inches, you don’t increase much velocity or decrease much pressure. Thats what is so advantageous about using calibers designed for shorter barrels. If you have never sat beside a guy at the range shooting a short barreled 223/5.56 with a compensator, you don’t know how friggin loud it can be. You won’t like it. That is why you see so many 223/5.56 pistols being sold by private owners.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts