Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
A brace, typically will open up to allow you to stick your arm thru the rear of the brace, placing your hand on the grip, then you can tighten up the brace around your forearm. This allows you to shoot it like a pistol....one handed.

Go here SBA3™ | SB Tactical and take a look at the pictures....especially, the view from the rear.
A pistol brace was designed to allow disabled veterans the opportunity to shoot. That's why you have to stick your arm through it and tighten it up with a velcro strap that comes on the brace.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
This is a pistol:

Suppressed 10" barrel Aero Precision upper chambered in .300 AAC atop an Aero Precision lower w/ SB Tactical PDW Brace and a Bobro-mounted Primary Arms ACSS Raptor 1x6x24mm FFP optic … and Bobro BUIS. The suppressor is a SilencerCo Omega attached via a QD (ASR-mount) brake. (I prefer brakes to flash hiders as QD hosts -- specifically because they reduce wear on suppressor baffles by taking the brunt of the blast, unlike flash hiders as QD hosts.) A Raptor-SD charging handle with a ported shaft completes the package to help direct DI gasses away from the user's face during suppressed shooting.

This pistol was built for suppressed, subsonic .300 AAC whitetail deer hunting at 50 yard ranges or less using Lehigh Defense 194gr Subsonic Maximum Expansion ammunition -- which reliably expands at subsonic speeds. It weighs less than half of my long range bolt action deer rifle … and when collapsed with the can removed, is also less than half the length of the bolt gun (also with can removed) -- making it perfect for close-quarters climbing stand hunting deep in the woods during the early season.

When I added an awkward and rigid 22lbs of climbing stand to my back (preventing me from using a traditional gun sling to carry my -heavy- and -big- bolt gun), I found hand carrying my 20" barrel Remington 700 action chambered in .308 on a Magpul Hunter 700 stock ... with can (same as pictured, here) and 800 yard capable optic … to be unwieldy, heavy, and overkill for scenarios where I could only see 30-40 yards. So, so I built something small, easy to carry, that would shed lots of weight as well as allow for even quieter shots (to help yield follow-up opportunities after the first harvest of the day). Sure, I could have rigged a sling mount/pocket of some kind on the climbing stand for the bolt gun, but I had an excuse to scratch an itch, so I did. Hauling this up into the stand after a climb is so much easier than the bolt gun, too...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My AR Pistol. PSA cause I'm a poor. 😉

10.5in Nitride upper with the PDW lower. Not bad for $829 total. Bought the upper and lower separately. Upper was delivered to my door, and the lower went to an FFL a mile from my Apt.

Streamlight Protact light. Grip Panels and Finger Stop are from Slate Black Industries. SIG Romeo 5 XDR Predator 2 MOA Green Dot/12 MOA Predator Triangle. Radian LT Charging Handle.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I knew I was late to the AR game and it's beginning to appear that I may be the last kid on the block to have one. You guys are so far ahead of in weaponry and experience. Oh, well....one step at a time. Just hope I have sufficient time remaining to become as well versed as all of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nah, don't worry about it. I finally got mine at the beginning of May. With some research and planning, I was able to get an idea about what accessories I wanted and what I didn't. I went with the smaller, lighter path and that eliminated a lot of options. You're on the right track; forums are really helpful and have a lot of good feedback. There are a lot of great ideas here and helpful people. I also found a couple of instructors and professionals to follow, and they can be helpful as far as what to look for in gear and what to avoid. Just know that cheap is a bad word in this arena, and a certain threshold of quality is necessary.

Edit to add: Once you find a direction it comes together pretty quickly, for better or worse ($$).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Threw this together. .300 Blackout. Love it!

Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt.

PSA Betsy Ross AR-15 "I STAND-15" Stripped Lower Receiver

PSA 8.5" Pistol-length 300AAC Blackout 1/8 Phosphate 6" Lightweight M-Lok Classic Shockwave Pistol Kit

SB Tactical SBA3 Pistol Stabilizing Brace, Black. Shoots great, can't complain!

Got literately 5 gallon bucket of .223 once fired brass. Cheap to shoot and accurate!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everyone is looking for a new caliber for the AR-15. Right under their nose is a real good one, the 223/5.56. It isn’t the most powerful caliber but it is a fast, flat shooting accurate round that is cheap to shoot and doesn’t beat you up. I must confess I love my Grendel upper, but I shoot the 223/5.56 the most.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am loving the new age of pistols. I have built quite a few, but this is my favorite.

I highly recommend that you go with a blast can out front, since any muzzle blast going out the sides of the muzzle device will surely reflect off the walls in a hallway or other confined area, and give you a lifelong ring in your ears... And, that is only if you are lucky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use to think that the AR-15 pistol was like “What, Huhnaa” Had no Idea of a use, but now I can see it’s purpose. Lots of rounds, cheep ammo, low recoil and one heck of a self defense weapon outside the home for close range work. Especially now that there are mobs of zombies raiding the neighborhoods. Has more energy than a 9mm, or 45acp, or 40 S&W, or even the 10mm. 30 rounds in a semi that weighs less then 7 pounds. i get it!

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Yep, agree with that. Here's a little info on 5.56 and 300 BO in various barrel lengths. I chose to build my HD AR's in 300 BO with 8.5" barrel. Nice and short for around the house use and sends a 125 gr bullet down range at 2100 fps and still has 993 ft lbs at 100 yards. I won't be shooting at 100 yards....more like 20 or 30....or closer.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Skip the blast can and just go suppressed. You will not regret it. Neither will those around you. (Once you go suppressed it's unbelievably hard to go back...)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I am planning on getting either an 8 or 9 in 300blk upper and getting a can for it just for home defense. I can put it on my PSA PDW pistol lower and have my own version of the Honey Badge/Sugar Weasel/Dirt Squirrel.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Some interesting comparisons and results. While it might be nice if every shooter had an attached and functioning silencer the most important accessory and certainly least cost is good hearing protectors. The BFD does a good job of protecting against the blast effect and does have a muffling affect as well. That combined with hearing protection seems to provide a reasonable result without reducing the bank account.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Suppressors are effectively hearing protection for EVERYONE, not just oneself. (So, of course they are more expensive than hearing protection meant for just one person. :) )

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I just wonder about the practicality of these things. Will I shoot it as good as I can a conventional rifle or carbine? Is it as handy and agile in a close quarters fight as a pistol?

My questions admittedly come from ignorance though. I haven't played with one yet so don't have direct experience.

Trying to keep an open mind...

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
I shoot my .300 AAC hunting pistol every bit as well as I do my .308 bolt gun. Keep in mind, though, I didn't skimp on the trigger, so it has a decent 2-stage from TriggerTech that's adjustable from ~2.5 to ~5lbs. I've got it adjusted to match what's on my bolt gun (~3lbs). I also made sure the PDW brace could extend far enough to match the length of the stock on the bolt gun.

Put another way … if you build the pistol platform similar to what you're already accustomed to shooting, then you'll have next to no transition pain to the pistol platform from what you're accustomed to shooting. But if you cheeseball the pistol platform compared to what you're accustomed to shooting, well, you can expect differences commensurate with the degree of cheese. (It's just good common sense, right?)

As for it being as handy/agile as a pistol in CQB? Of course not, because it's bigger. But it's also spitting rifle rounds instead of pistol rounds during such CQB -- meaning you trade speed+agility for increased punch. (Again, its just good common sense, right?)

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I shoot my .300 AAC hunting pistol every bit as well as I do my .308 bolt gun. Keep in mind, though, I didn't skimp on the trigger, so it has a decent 2-stage from TriggerTech that's adjustable from ~2.5 to ~5lbs. I've got it adjusted to match what's on my bolt gun (~3lbs). I also made sure the PDW brace could extend far enough to match the length of the stock on the bolt gun.

Put another way … if you build the pistol platform similar to what you're already accustomed to shooting, then you'll have next to no transition pain to the pistol platform from what you're accustomed to shooting. But if you cheeseball the pistol platform compared to what you're accustomed to shooting, well, you can expect differences commensurate with the degree of cheese. (It's just good common sense, right?)

As for it being as handy/agile as a pistol in CQB? Of course not, because it's bigger. But it's also spitting rifle rounds instead of pistol rounds during such CQB -- meaning you trade speed+agility for more increased punch. (Again, its just good common sense, right?)
I appreciate the thoughtful response surrealone.

How is it better though than a short barreled suitable caliber carbine? What advantages does it have over it?

Once again, not arguing, looking to learn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a 44 magnum 16 inch lever rifle. It is great for hunting but it holds 8 rounds, loads slowly, and costly to shoot. My 350 Legend AR pistol holds 20 rounds and is cheap to shoot. Just as much energy as a 30-30 or a 35 Remington. #00 BO is good too or just a 223/5.56. All will work

21 - 40 of 53 Posts