Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean would make a lot of people on internet Happy. After all 380 isn't worth a dam as a SD round. We all know the PPK,PPK/S is a gun whose time has pasted. Theirs a 100 pistols that are better,lighter,with more power than our PPKs.
 I mean were only a 1/2 step above flintlock we need to move to world of  9mm and 40S&W Plastic ,black,light rails,
 Come on People lets move into the real world sell those heavy ,lousy caliber ,biteing jamamatics.,   Move up their are Hi Points  to be had for less money we must move foward.

Please excuse I forgot my meds today.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went to the range on saturday. Took my SIG P230 (.380) and Manurhin PPK (.32). Last one is specially sweet: number 102xxx, it was made in 1954, first year of PPK production by Manurhin, it was sold to Austria and served by the Borderguard (it has an Austrian Eagle, a "Z" for Zoll and an inventary number), the card box is marqued with the name of the agent who received it!. I have a letter from Manurhin confirming the production year and sale to Austria.

So I shot this piece to 25 meters (SA) and 10 meters (DA/SA doublettes) and once again I was extremly pleased by the groups - it just shot much better than the SIG.

Despite the small size, this PPK can be shot extremly fast and well due to a trigger that is one of the best DA/SA I know. The DA pull is short and light, with a weight that reduces to the end. The reset is extremly short - 1911 like - and the SA is light and precise. A dream.

I heard once a "Waltherolog" saying that the Manurhin were especially well made, as the Frenchs wanted to prove that they could be as good as Germans. The finish on my PPK has typical holster wear but it is still nicely polished and deep blue.

So I will never sell this nice PPK. I'm rather looking for a similar Manurhin PP, as my NIB Zella-Mehlis PP is rather a safe queen - it came in the original box, with all accessories, unshot since 1940 - and the trigger is awful (or just new?).

Bye.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
As I'm from Germany and never was interested in a PP or PPK combination (what a PPK/S is), I'ld agree. And yes, it's a gun developed nearly 100 years ago...
If you are interested in a 'modern' gun, developed before 1975 with a very well functioned DA System, try a CZ 75 'short rail'. The best I've ever shot in DA mode.

·
Administrator
3,638 Posts
The PP series is a piece of history. It is a conisours gun. It's longevity speaks for itself.

Just like some people appreciate owning and occasionally driving vintage automobiles or motorcycles, some enjoy owning and shooting classic firearms.

There is nothing at all wrong with that. Not every firearm a person owns needs to be the latest tactical wonder.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I mean would make a lot of people on internet Happy. After all 380 isn't worth a dam as a SD round. We all know the PPK,PPK/S is a gun whose time has pasted. Theirs a 100 pistols that are better,lighter,with more power than our PPKs.
I mean were only a 1/2 step above flintlock we need to move to world of 9mm and 40S&W Plastic ,black,light rails,
Come on People lets move into the real world sell those heavy ,lousy caliber ,biteing jamamatics., Move up their are Hi Points to be had for less money we must move foward.

Please excuse I forgot my meds today.
I have plenty of modern pistols, but I would NEVER sell my PPK or my PPK/S.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
never was interested in a PP or PPK combination (what a PPK/S is)
Neither was I until I won an auction for a PP .380 and PPK/S .22. I wanted the PP but figured that I'd try the PPK/S and if I didn't like it could flip it for what I paid. After several range sessions I now prefer it to my PPK .22.

Have you ever shot a PPK/S?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am brand new to shooting a PPK/S. First time today. It has now become one of my favorite guns. I do have many favorites. But this is definitely top 5.

I tried some "pocket" .380's and could not find one that was enjoyable to shoot.

The PPK/S is very enjoyable to shoot. I am Hooked!

I don't care what anyone thinks about what I'm going to type next. I'm in my early 50's. I am a James Bond movie fan. So therefore I've wanted a PPK variant pistol for...decades. No I didn't feel like Bond. James Bond. After shooting my PPK/S today. But I tell ya what. I can put a check mark next to that bucket list item after today.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I own a variety of PP, PPK, PPK/s versions of various calibers and all in mint (some NIB) condition, all German 60’s/70’s/early 80’s. The feel, balance, accuracy and solid response is superb and therefore I enjoy carrying still in rotation these gems as they will get the job (just self defense) done while I know I can operate them blindly. The PPK/s 380 is a superb shooter, so damn accurate and follow up shots are rattling out. Reliability is 100%….Always a smile on my face when adjacent shooters look in surprise seeing me practicing with a “small” pistol at 10-15 yards away while they are fiddling at 5-7 yards with their big new modern plastics…..Would I sell them….NEVER!……..only my german TPH .25 competes with them depending on the season…….long life the “old” stuff…….but everybody got to go with what they deem pleasing so they can sleep at night peacefully……..James Bond…Sean C forever!

P.s thanks for the question so old farts like me have some happy times ranting…..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aside from being a pleasant gun to hold or shoot, the PPK/S has better carry options than most guns. I also own a Glock G43X which is virtually the same size, & carrying the PPK/S is more pleasant when concealed, due to the rounded slide.

Reactions: ameridap

·
Registered
5 Posts
The PP series is a piece of history. It is a conisours gun. It's longevity speaks for itself.

Just like some people appreciate owning and occasionally driving vintage automobiles or motorcycles, some enjoy owning and shooting classic firearms.

There is nothing at all wrong with that. Not every firearm a person owns needs to be the latest tactical wonder.
I sent a new ppk/s for double feed issues, when I called they said it was functioning properly, then they mentioned if I want a video or the gunsmith shooting the gun they can make one and send it to me showing it’s working right, today when I called to see the status of the video they said they took it to the range and found it wasn’t working right so it’s back on the bench !!!! Note to all …. Ask for a video of them shooting your walther before they ship it knowing it’s not working right . They will lie obviously saying it’s all right and no issues , but videos don’t lie ! Now I have to wait another week to get it back hopefully working correctly.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I sent a new ppk/s for double feed issues, when I called they said it was functioning properly, then they mentioned if I want a video or the gunsmith shooting the gun they can make one and send it to me showing it’s working right, today when I called to see the status of the video they said they took it to the range and found it wasn’t working right so it’s back on the bench !!!! Note to all …. Ask for a video of them shooting your walther before they ship it knowing it’s not working right . They will lie obviously saying it’s all right and no issues , but videos don’t lie ! Now I have to wait another week to get it back hopefully working correctly.
Yeah the new generations have their troubles, sold them and stick to my post war German ones. The new ones have also not the beautiful finish, the deep blue and smooth edges, than the new ones. Never too late to change, so yes sell the new ones and buy the old ones is my motto. But I will also NEVER sell my Q5 SF baby!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Have you ever shot a PPK/S?
Yes, shot any caliber of them. It is a 'twitter' in my eyes, it's not a PPK nor a PP. But maybe it's just me... ;)
If I would shoot a really great .22lr, I would prefer my old High Standard Mod. 107. You see, my affection lies in the more powerful versions of the PP(K) :cool:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Yes, shot any caliber of them. It is a 'twitter' in my eyes, it's not a PPK nor a PP. But maybe it's just me... ;)
If I would shoot a really great .22lr, I would prefer my old High Standard Mod. 107. You see, my affection lies in the more powerful versions of the PP(K) :cool:
Ahhh a bigger is better guy, well let me tell you one secret I learned long ago and that has propelled me very successfully through my lives journey, “the ladies told me that bigger is not better, it’s the outcome that matters to them”!!!! 😇

…..and for the record it refers to my height only!!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
We are talking about PP series guns. And no, I do know what a .22 can do, if you are able to hit the right point. But in my personally opinion, the best caliber for a PP series gun is .32/7,65mm Browning. Pleasant to shoot and nearly no problems w. the guns duralibity.

·
Administrator
3,638 Posts
We are talking about PP series guns. And no, I do know what a .22 can do, if you are able to hit the right point. But in my personally opinion, the best caliber for a PP series gun is .32/7,65mm Browning. Pleasant to shoot and nearly no problems w. the guns duralibity.
Hello Martin. What has been your experience with the reliability of the PP series guns in .32?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Nothing was changed on a regulary PPK made in '62 (my Dad bought it new) except grips (not broken, but better to handle). It's my experience with all of my .32, incl. my ealrly examples pre war made guns. The guns were developed for this caliber. And yes, they did (and do) a great job.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts