Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a P99QA; for those who have or have shot one what do you like or dislike about it? I haven't found one at a gunshow or shop to even test the trigger, so thought I would ask here?

Second question: Can the regular P99 be converted without monstrous effort to the QA trigger? I'm guessing not, but I don't know. thanks for any help. Kyle

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Kyle,
No the conversion isn't practical.
The QA has a trigger very similar to a Glock, but with a longer reset. It reminds me very much of a Kahr Elite trigger.
My wife really likes hers, we bought it shortly after the Pueblo OPS course, and haven't had any troubles with it.
She shoots it much better than she ever shot her Glock 19.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love my P99QA.  It's more accurate than I am (which on some days really isn't saying much...  
) and in about 2500 rounds in 4 months, I have yet to have a single error that I didn't cause.

Now, don't take this next part the wrong way, I woulnd't trade my QA for the world, but my next purchase will probably be the P99 with a standard trigger.  I have a P22, which has the DA/SA trigger, and I really like that setup.  I wouldn't mind having a 9mm like it.  BUT, I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying that type of trigger without an external safety.  It's a me thing.  The QA can be carried uncocked with one in the chamber, and you only need to pull the slide back about 1/4 inch to cock it, which I *can* do one-handed if necessary.

I will tell you that the trigger takes a lot of rounds to break in.  Brand new, it was very gritty.  At 2.5K, it's still slightly so.  I expect that in another 2.5, it'll be smooth as silk.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dregnan,
You should look into a quality firearms training school, email me and I can give you some contacts.
What you can do under range conditions ie: cock the striker by pulling the slide back a 1/4", will be next to impossible under stress. If you are that uncomfortable, and feel that you need the striker uncocked, you would be better off carrying chamber empty, and performing a full slide rack. The gross mechanics of a full slide rack will be easier to perform under stress than the fine mechanics of retracting the slide 1/4".
Feel free to email me with any questions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree the point that NM made: racking the full slide is easier than the partial 1/4" rack. Under stress often time you might rack more than it takes, resulted the round in the chamber being moved/tilted, and takes another slight rack to align it back. Whether or not to chamber a round is another issue, more of a personal preference.

My QA is apporaching 10K and runs smooth, becomes sort of monotonous and not much to complain about.

I'm hoping when the Walther subcompact releases, there will be a QA version.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I love my P99 QA's. I can shoot them better than I can the regular P99.

I also carry mine all the time with no worries. Just keep your finger off the trigger and you'll be fine.

You can not easily convert a regular P99 to a QA. The mechanical workings are different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, I just did an OPS class with Andy Stanford and was wondering what the class would have been like with a QA trigger. NM-99, my 16 inch groups have closed to about 4 inches and I'm shooting way the heck faster. By the way, in a previous post you mentioned a son, new info to me so I wanted to offer congratulations to you and your wife. What did you name the young man? take care, Kyle aka catboy

·
Registered
411 Posts
The little rug-rat is named James Ryan, and man-o-man is he a handfull.
Heck.... the 16" to 4" group reduction can be attributed to swapping a Ruger for a Walther.

My wife loves her P99QA, but once you've been spoiled by a P99's super short reset, the QA is a let down.
Now if the QA had the short reset...... ohhhh man I'd be all over it.
I'm hosting Yeager here in Hobbs, NM on May 1-2 of 2004, for a Tac-Pistol, if you hear of anybody looking for a course, send 'em my way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love my P99QA the trigger to me is more comfy to use than my Sig P226. My gf and a friend of ours also likes the P99QA better than the P226.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts