Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here, so please bear with me ...

I was hoping to get some feedback on the PPK made by Smith and Wesson. I was thinking about getting one in a blue finish if possible, but before I did I wanted to hear from those that have one.

I know the German made PPKs will probably always be the best, but how does the USA made Smith and Wesson hold up? Is the finish decent, and most of all - is it reliable?

And if anyone knows, what is a decent/fair asking price for a new blued PPK in .380?

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't think they are making blued versions now. In fact, when I asked about getting a ppk vs a ppk/s, they told me that you couldn't even get a ppk yet, although they were supposed to be coming.

As of early this year, all you could get (new) was a stainless ppk/s. Anyone hear different?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I seems their findly tighting up QC and turning out some good pistols. I was very displease with QC of earlier ones. I been handling a new one and trying to convince my self I really don't need another PPK/S I am losing. My old interarms has served me well but that little extra tang does fell better in hand. (I am not bothered by hammer bit) I would get a new SS one if going to carry makes life a little easier

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...

Well I'm glad the quality control is getting to be pretty good. Hopefully the blued PPK is available. On the Walther website it's listed - but who knows how accurate the website is.

I prefer the look of the blue over the stainless, and would really like to get one, especially if they are high quality and reliable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought one of the S&W PPK/S 'Flying Tigers' a few months back. The main problem is that the grips did not fit the frame properly and causes FF. I fixed the wood grips with a bit of auto exoxy and now it is very reliable.

Just remember that if you want to keep one in the chamber feed it in using the magazine. Just feeding it into the chamber thru the discharge will cause a FF that will jam up the whole gun for some reason. It even says that in the manual.

Just beware of the PPK bite. Fixing the grip and tapering the beaver tail helps a bit in eliminating the bite.

It is a very reliable, accurate little gun. Unlike a POS Colt Mustang that I just picked up!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't forget, the smithy PPKs have an extended beavertail that dramatically reduces slide bite.  Mine hasn't bit me yet in over 500 rounds.  I'm happy with the quality, fit and finish of of my smithy PPK/S.  Make sure you find a newer one, and you'll be fine.

-stunks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This has all been encouraging news to hear! I figured that the QC had to be fairly decent, but I have heard horror stories about some of the older Interarms PPKs not doing to well in the reliability department without some work.

I have always wanted a PPK, and I'm about ready to go ahead and take the plunge.

My only question now is ... has anyone seen a new blued PPK yet, and if so what is the price? What is too high, and what is fair?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got a smith PPK (not "S", they hurt upon recoil IMHO) a couple of weeks ago from RSR Group. Great pistol! Accurate. Reliable for 300 rounds so far. It is stainless. I asked about the blued. My rep says he has heard nothing. Called S&W. Gal said maybe 2 months--sounded like a guess.

The stainless is so nice I will spring for a blue without hesitation.

Lou

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope that blued is only a month or two away! Actually ... be a good Christmas present I should think.

If anyone has heard anything about the blued PPK, please share.

I appreciate everyone's help. I have owned several pistols before, but never a Walther. I have always wanted a PPK, but for some reason the little gun always seemed to slip through my fingers. Not this time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am pretty sure i saw a blued SW PPK at my local dealer the other day...thought it was odd that it was blued, but the dots on the sights were done in red paint instead of white. I'll try and drop by and check again, but i'm almost positive it was a blued new style PPK.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
15 Posts
confirmed that my dealer does have a blued ppk. it had a very nice and smooth da trigger-much better than some of the interarms ones i'd had...i was very surprised.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked one up in stainless steel. Good price. I also want a blue one but my dealer has told me the suppliers are out of the first run. He did not know when a second run was going to start. I have one on order for when they do come out. I had hoped for a blue finish for historical purposes but in researching PPKs I saw that they did produce a chrome version (rare) which actually looks a lot like stainless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts