Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to buy a handgun for walking in the woods. So many good choices makes it hard. That is until the local gun shop guy pulled out a Walther P99.
All I could say was "Wow, really?" Then I said to myself "I can't afford this one can I?" Then my wife said "Don't buy a cheap gun.":eek:

I've looked at and handled a lot of guns and shot a few, none of which really impressed me that much. I haven't shot the P99 yet but it sure has a good feel to it. Anyway, everything about it just seemed to fit for me.

The others I were looking at were the S&W M&P 2.0 compact which was very nice I have to admit, a couple Sigs which didn't fit my hand right, a couple Rugers, the RAP was a little heavy, the Security 9 doesn't have the safeties I would want (still thinking about it though cause it's such a good deal).

So, I get the feeling I would just be a lot more comfortable caring this one around where I live. Doing my research now and on the verge of deciding pretty soon.

Been listening to you folks, good site. Thanks for listening to me.
Dale

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's my perspective as someone who is very experienced in handguns. The Walther P99 is a top notch pistol, every bit as good as you can expect. I'm fairly new to the P99. It flew under the radar for decades while I played with Glocks, Sigs, CZs, HKs, Berettas, etc.

I picked up a P22 10 years ago but it just sat. I picked up a few mid-century P38s but never shot them. Later, in my quest for a single stack, I discovered the PPS and absolutely LOVE it. It is my backup gun and sometimes primary.

That led me to the P99. I think it's an extremely sexy styling and design with actual great lines. I find other polymer guns generally soul-less looking. I researched the heck out of the P99, and ended up getting one. I absolutely love it. I took about a 1/2 dozen guns (FNS, Kahr K9, PPS, P99, Glock, and there was also a SW) to a friends back yard range recently. The two Walthers were the favorites of all 3 other shooters (an experienced Army Master Sargeant "Glock-guy" - who asked me more about the P99 and asked my help in finding one for sale locally -, another experienced shooter, and a brand new shooter).

I've come to actually prefer the P99/PPS style of ambi-paddle mag release.

I've got Sigs, Glocks, HKs, CZs, etc. Those are all great. And the P99 is a fantastic choice. It will now be a top recommendation from me, and I'm continually looking for another one.

Keep in mind Walther is one of the oldest and best gun makers in the world. They don't make junk. And I just went thru a recall in their PPS M2 (trigger fix), and they handled it with stellar performance and speed - the envy of any company. Having dealt with a lot of companies and recalls and such, Walther is top shelf. (For example, Taurus handled their recent voluntary recall on a trigger defect so badly and royally screwed over customers so badly I will never pay good money for another Taurus and can no longer recommend them.)

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I prefer an all metal pistol / revolver.
I own exactly one polymer pistol because I cannot find an all metal replacement for it.
It's a Walther P99

·
Registered
89 Posts
The P99 is a fantastic firearm that was (and still is) a unique pistol being that it functions like a hammer fired DA/SA semi-auto that just so happens to use a striker fired system. It was a very forward thinking design and it's a shame it doesn't get the love and recognition it deserves. Watchguy - just ensure you are comfortable with the P99's trigger system before you buy one if you have not already tried it. The P99 has a very unique trigger system that's quite different from most striker fired pistols. This is its greatest attribute in my opinion because it makes the gun extremely versatile and a great carry option. You may also want to take a look at the smaller P99c AS if you intend to carry it often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It was the trigger system that attracted me to the P99 in the first place. Completely logical, functional and safe. Especially important was the decocker system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It was the trigger system that attracted me to the P99 in the first place. Completely logical, functional and safe. Especially important was the decocker system.
I posted on this forum about the trigger and wasn't convinced I'd like it. Turns out I really do like it. It's unique, very safe, and enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
He’s probably talking about Shoot Straight but those are .40 S&W. I have a P99 and P99c. I carry the P99c more than anything. The M&P M2.0s are nice too. I have the forty compact version. Those all have great prices right now.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I carry a Ruger 357 in the woods and the P99C everywhere else.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I prefer an all metal pistol / revolver.
I own exactly one polymer pistol because I cannot find an all metal replacement for it.
It's a Walther P99
I literally could have written this word for word, except for the very last one. I owned both and kept the compact version because of the ability to use both compact mags and the full-size mags with the spacer. I own no polymer or striker-fired pistol other than the P99c :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't really need an everywhere else gun and I did consider a Ruger 357 but don't like how they feel in the hand. I have shot a few revolvers (not a 357) and didn't like how they handle. Just me maybe.

I might reconsider though. Still open to ideas.

I carry a Ruger 357 in the woods and the P99C everywhere else.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe this is what Jimbo80 is referring to:

https://shoot-straight.com/product/walther-p99-as-40sw-121-semi-auto-handgun/ is the only source I could see.

Ok, so it's not a 9mm, but it's got me thinking. Probably this model is not so popular because it's not as fun to fire and I suspect they are dumping stock out of their inventory. For what I need it might be just fine. I wouldn't mind saving about $200.00.

Opinions are welcome.:)

Well, it's fun to fire, but I'm still having mag drop issues with my P99 .40. The magazine drops out of position when firing the last three to two rounds in the magazine. I personally wouldn't get the .40 for this reason.

I do have the 9mm, in both the full size and compact, and they're excellent pistols. My friend, if your wife says don't buy a cheap pistol, go for it! My wife told me I should buy some guns to go shooting with friends and now I have six Walthers! This is an opportunity I don't think you should pass up. Take the ball, look for the hole in the line, and head for the end zone!

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
P99c

I also can not find any new P99c I contacted a few stores all their distributions are listing inventory at 0 a few stores have stated the P99 is discontinued I emailed walther today to get the real story

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, so far I'm still sold on the P99 AS in 9mm. Looked real hard at everything out there and nothing else fits. Won't be able to shoot one until I buy it but the general consensus seems to indicate I'm going to be pleased with the purchase. Guess I'll be going to the local gun store tomorrow to buy one.:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts