·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Tell us more about it.....

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Looks alot like my first handgun a PPK/S from the early 1970's,

Seems like you have polished it for rebluing or had it chromed ......

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1971 - wear, had a lot of this carry wear when I got it in 1980. Think we'll just leave it this way.

Regards to all ~ photo

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
C'mon, let's get serious. That was originally a blue gun, and it did not get that way from a holster or from ordinary wear.

M

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not from any holster I've heard of to get into all of those contours and crevices that completely. That gun looks stainless and the only wear I can see is at the front of the slide at the Interams stamp.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Not from any holster I've heard of to get into all of those contours and crevices that completely. That gun looks stainless and the only wear I can see is at the front of the slide at the Interams stamp.
You'd be surprised what leather holsters can do over a long period of time. Since he got in in 1980, it's likely leather was the holster used to carry it in.
Take a look at some revolvers and you will see the front edge of the cylinders literally "rounded" from holster wear.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a stainless, not blue gun. As mentioned, I received it this way, gift actually from a LEO, who, in turn got it from anther LEO. IT was already this way and ten years old when I received it. My guess was that it was leather.

Regards, photo

·
Registered
923 Posts
I see that Photohause has said that it's stainless....D'oh! But still, that is a lot fo draws to cause that kind of wear at the front of the slide. A well used and obviously valued gun. Congrats!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see this is marked as a west german gun. I thought the west german guns were not made in stainless. Could this have been refinished?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anything is possible...that is all the info I have. The red paint is missing from the safety ares, maybe it was stripped, who knows? It has been a great gun for me and digested anything fed.

photo

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I see that Photohause has said that it's stainless....D'oh! But still, that is a lot fo draws to cause that kind of wear at the front of the slide. A well used and obviously valued gun. Congrats!
It's not just the drawing of the pistol, but the movement during actual wear. Most police leave their guns in the holster and just take the holster/belt off at the end of the day. But leather eventually stretches and that causes wear as the gun shifts around in the holsters. That's why I like Cordura or Kydex. My experience there is much less wear using those holsters. Sure glad that isn't a blued steel gun. Rust and pitting would have done a real number on bare steel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I see this is marked as a west german gun. I thought the west german guns were not made in stainless. Could this have been refinished?
Bingo. Somebody give Zonadrill a cigar.

German Walther PP-series pistols were not produced in stainless. That gun has been heavily polished (which is why the markings are washed out) and, judging from the color, plated with one of the proprietary hard-chrome treatments that were popular back then, such as Armaloy.

(And, if you look carefully at the first photo, you'll see that the trigger guard was polished in the wrong direction....)

M

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting thoughts gents. If polished, why not polish down the entire Interarms logo? ~ photo

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Whoever did the polishing probably was not aware just how shallow those etched marking were. One pass with a hard felt wheel will take the writing off as shown.

The law is pretty specific that serial numbers are not to be removed or "obliterated", I think the law includes makers/importers marks. In reality I doubt anyone really cares about markings other than the serial number. Prehaps the polisher just didn't want any problems, and stopped after the first pass.

My first Walther was 1612XXS, made in '72 or '73. At that time the Walther PPK/S was still made in "Germany" and as stated above, no stainless models were being made.

Can't tell from the photos for sure, but I would bet that pistol has been hard chromed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts