Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to pull together some recommendations on what to replace/refurbish/check after buying a used PPK.

I would start with grips - if worn/loose/cracked they're easy to replace. Source from Earls' all the way to eBay. Range from $50-$125

Springs - Recoil spring is good to replace along with firing pin and hammer spring. Wolff kits available at Midway, Brownells, Wolff, etc. I would replace all these after buying one with unknown history. Cost is pretty low. About $20.

Firing pin - Good source is Numrich. Again, for the $26.50, worth it for peace of mind.

Good cleaning and lube.

Anything else?

·
Registered
629 Posts
What to check on a used gun: everything.

As far as recoil springs go, the standard 20lb factory spring can be readily purchased from surplus stores. I always prefer factory if possible for refurbishes.

If you are going to replace ANY part in a PPK, you had better know what you are doing. They are finely tuned machines when they run well. Immediately swapping out parts with a newly purchased piece is not recommended until a proper diagnosis can be made as to the cause of any problems that may arise.

Reactions: FisherTim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Replacing cracked grips would be a good idea.

Cleaning and carefully examining the gun would be a good idea.

I would only replace other parts after firing the pistol extensively and determining that the parts really need replacing.

It may be tempting to replace parts on general principles, but this can cause its own set of problems.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, Watcher, that I should have said at the start: Don't touch anything if you don't know what you're doing. If you any doubts, go to a local gunsmith and have them check it out. Your life and your health are a lot more important than saving a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
If it’s all there and works don’t change a thing . Replace parts as needed .
I'm not a believer in changing out parts or springs on a used gun without reason either. Just a good cleaning and lube is enough in most cases. Especially the magazines. Most of the used pistols I buy have filthy magazines.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
And unless you drew the short straw, many used guns really aren't that high in round count.
You may well introduce a problem by futzing with it.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Moon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts