Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems it's been a while since I checked in here. Late 2002, if the forum software is correct. That appears to be an eternity in Walther years. Back then the P99 FAQ page was only one page and didn't have more than a handful of Lunde's pics on it. :)

Then -
Smith & Wesson was just entering the picture. You could only get 10 round mags(and those were hard to find). The rail was proprietary. Holsters were special order and only a couple of folks made them. There was no compact, and only one or two versions of the full size.

Now -
Just a quick look indicates lots of cosmetic changes to the P99, and apparently some mechanical ones as well. From browsing the FAQ, it appears this all started in 2004.

So bring me up to speed. How do the current models compare to the AB date code models. What has changed? What is the same? Are they as good as they were then? What impact has S&W had on things?

It seems I hear the siren song calling me back to Ulm, but I wonder if you can go home again. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Welcome back.... I hope you won't be selling any 1911's for the P99 .... you know sellers remorse :p

changes are besides the frame, on the slide... serrations are different and markings have changed a bit...
no more QPQ or TI slides... only blued anymore.... there is no OD "AS" version.... the only one offered in OD is the "QA"
Not sure that S&W is doing the best they can to market the P99 but that is what we are here for.
Other than that ..... little has changed I think... they are still one of the best "out of the box" combat handguns out there :D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Longer mag release....otherwise not much else. Marketing by S&W remains the same...slim to none. But customer service by WaltherAmerica is top notch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uncut said:
Welcome back.... I hope you won't be selling any 1911's for the P99 .... you know sellers remorse
Well I asked for that didn't I? :D Thanks for the welcome.

Jake Starr said:
Marketing by S&W remains the same...slim to none.
That's not surprising considering how hard they are pushing their M&P. What I was more concerned with was something like they did with the PPK. All S&W with a Walther banner on it. Glad to hear that Walther has stuck by the P99.

David S said:
holsters are still a btch to try to find.... well good ones anyway...
6 month wait for a Milt Sparks... ouch
Well at least there are more than 1 or 2 people making them now and actually listing them on their websites, so you have choices. Back when I had mine, none of the major mfgs like Desantis was interested, and Sparks and Alessi were about it.

Uncut, I think you are correct about "out of the box". Lately, I've been leaning towards simple gear, and the DA/SA and DAO 9mms fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Seems like we have few members from Indiana...we may have to have centralized meeting someplace and go shooting and do lunch....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Walther factory tour ?

It seems I hear the siren song calling me back to Ulm, but I wonder if you can go home again. ;)
Did you actually visit Ulm and went into the factory ? When I mailed them - some years ago - to ask if factory visits were allowed, they returned a polite 'no'. Whenever you guys are planning a Walther visit, count me in ! After all, for me it's only an 8 hours drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
E.T. said:
Did you actually visit Ulm and went into the factory ?
No never had the pleasure. What I meant by my comment is that while I have dabbled with other guns, I keep looking back at the P99. Ulm was an indirect reference to Walther.

Well howdy neighbor ;) Where do you shoot at? On the rare days I have time off I try to pop in Bluegrass range and shoot off a box. Spare time is rare these days though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts