Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I received an amazing gift from a great friend and I had to share, even more so with Father's day just around the corner. Carl Walther's own Dr. Peter Dallhammer has published a beautiful hardcover. The attached images do not do this book justice.
For those of you whom do not know, Dr. Dallhammer contributed considerably in the development of the venerable P99 and subsequent PPQ platforms. The publication is appropriately titled "The Textbook of Pistol Technology and Design", "Production . Principles . Progress." If you have a curiosity in how firearms are made, this book is for you. Dr. Dallhammer does and amazing job sharing his wealth of experience and knowledge across every imaginable echelon of firearm development, testing, and production. I would highly recommend this publication to anyone with a fascination with how things are made or engineers whom have a passion for the industry.
I understand the book is available initially through Amazon, ISBN 9783844058109.

Attachments

Registered
I鈥檝e just ordered this book as well, for no reason other than the fact that firearms and firearms design fascinate me.

I鈥檓 not an engineer, but I fully expect to be wowed by the content of the book.

I鈥檓 especially excited to read about the barrel flaking information hinted at in the screenshots in this thread.

Registered
This weekend I finished reading the 鈥淭extbook of Pistol Technology and Design鈥 of Dr. Peter Dallhammer who I met last year during a visit to the Walther factory.
I very much enjoyed reading and studying this impressive work. My compliments to Dr. Dallhammer on the broad approach to the subject, the meticulous substantiation and the extensive documentation. In the field of guns I have never read before a book that has satisfied me more in expanding my knowledge in this area than this book. Despite the extensive treatment of the subjects, his explanation is clear and obvious from his systematic approach and accessible language. Very interesting are the links to topics such as the legal requirements and regulations in the USA and the commercial aspects to produce and put a product like a firearm into the commercial market. The number of explanatory images in the book is limited but he sure has the quality to give a clear description of concepts and processes in spite of that. Also very instructive is the enumeration of the modern production methods that are used to produce the various parts of pistols as well as the logical systematic approach to the different types of safety features that are applied in present day gun systems.
I will certainly read the Textbook more often in the future and will look back in it many times during my work as technical instructor at the Netherlands Police, guiding my new student inflow into the fascinating world of firearms and ammunition in gathering their knowledge and increasing their insights and experience as much and as good as possible. This book helped me a lot with that en therefore I鈥檓 very gratefull.
I will gladly introduce everyone who is involved in the subject of firearms to the Textbook and recommend it wholeheartedly as I've done allready lately during reading.

Registered
To put a face to the name, here is a video, in German, that shows Peter Dallhammer at the Walther plant in Ulm. He looks like a bit of a nut. Which I like.

I鈥檓 especially excited to read about the barrel flaking information hinted at in the screenshots in this thread.
I'm interested in hearing what they have to say about that. Please keep us informed when you get to that chapter.

Premium Member
Yes. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good read or at least a very interesting reference. To me, its worth having, if only to give insight into the man's views and thought processes

I'm going to get myself a copy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts