Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Walther PP will be auctioned off at a starting price of $37,500 soon – or maybe not. Personally, I can't find any conclusive explanation as to how this 1964 PP could have been used two years earlier in the 1962 movie "Dr. No". It's also exciting to know that the original film armorer BABTY claimed in 2006 that this gun was the only Walther PP used in the mentioned movie. These days however, 14 years later, BABTY confirms that this Walther PP was one of two. By the way, in 2006 they also explained, that the original brown (!) grips have been replaced on a subsequent production. I am very sceptical, but still curious if this gun can be sold with the well visible 1964 proof mark:

Christie's Auction in 2006:

Some detailed pictures of this Walther PP, S/N 19174A, German proof mark 1964, US mark of origin:

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's a very neglected and shabby 1964 PP. But in the end it's all about historical significance, as the auction house tells. Not only in "Dr. No" (1962), but also in "Ben-Hur" (1959) and many other movies, this weapon had absolutely no appearance.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Austin Powers could have done it. Brought the gun back I mean...:)
I however seriously doubt that this is the prop used in the movie. Some folks have more money than sense.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I however seriously doubt that this is the prop used in the movie. Some folks have more money than sense.
You're right two times, I suppose. Looking at the 1962 movie, for me it's quite obvious that a Zella-Mehlis PP was used. The old Walther banner on the grip plate is clearly visible:

Other pictures from the movie reveal the fact that the gun was reblued.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
At least the safety is off and he is ready to fire...

Reactions: Balogh

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
What is the story on the six-sided bore? Part of the deactivation?
Gene, those Pachy grips are a real selling point... ;)
For that kind of money, I'd want the provenance straight from God's lips.
Moon

Reactions: Balogh

·
Patron
212 Posts
What is the story on the six-sided bore? Part of the deactivation?
Gene, those Pachy grips are a real selling point... ;)
For that kind of money, I'd want the provenance straight from God's lips.
Moon
Looks to me like the gun was "blanked". You see it often on TV shows and in movies if you look. 1st season of MANNIX he carried a PP also, same thing in the barrel. They bored and thread the end of the barrel bore and screw in a piece of metal with a smaller opening so it will function with blanks. A built in "hidden" blank firing adapter. :) Ruins the barrel obviously......

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
We had clamp-on (and bright red) blank adapters for our service M16s; not only did they make the gas system work without live ammunition, but it prevented a bullet exiting the bore. Looks like that was the idea here as well.
Wonder how they make blanks work in a recoil operated pistol?
Moon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sometimes the locking system is greatly modified.
It's normal for several different guns to be used in filming sessions that may be split over several months and continents and location/studio work. Plus rubber ones for hitting villains over the head with and expendable resin molded lookalikes that have to be dropped on the ground/in the water repeatedly. So 'this is the one' almost never is true, 'one of the ones', well, maybe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts