Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody really know the whole story about american Walthers? I believe they were made by a machining company out of Alabama for years and stamped with the Interarms Logo. So, whats the deal now? Did S&W simply buy the rights to make the guns and they are made in the same place? Did S&W buy all the tooling, move it to their factory and keep producing the guns? Did S&W set up a complete new shop with all new tooling to make the guns? S&W is a pretty good company when it comes to machine work, it would not bother me in the least if they started from scratch with all new production..Also, Does anybody know if the German Walthers were forged and then machined? Were the Interarms American Models also forged and machined or were they cast? Having looked at the insides of all my Walthers, I can't see any difference in the machine work, the American made one I have looks really well done and seems to shoot well. (I assume my latest aquisition is a transition model, it is a PPK/S without the extended beavertail but with the Springfield address) Anybody that can fill in any details, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This was a good question that was never answered (very old post). I too would like to know the history of how S&W took over the production of the PPK line.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd like to know more about that as well. For some reason, I thought I heard that Walther manufactured the parts and pieces and they were "assembled" in the USA. I don't know where I heard that, but it's probably not correct.

I'm sure there are some experts on here that can furnish the details.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the best place to get reliable information on the current S&W PPK models would be the S&W forum. Some pretty knowledgeable chaps over there, regarding all-things-Smith.

The manufacturing equipment is an absolutely massive cost, so I would really have to assume that much of the tooling was preserved. But where it would be located, that's a great question.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Walther does not supply S&W with the parts to assemble the PPK or PPK/S. Those parts are made in the U.S. Indeed, the slides reportedly are cast over at competitor Ruger out in Arizona.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's probably not an entirely bad thing. Ruger has been ahead of the curve with good cast firearms for some time. Even their new 1911 has a cast frame.

So, does S&W then manufacture all the other bits, including the slide? Or are those still sourced from the company that used to manufacture the Interarms models?

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's probably not an entirely bad thing. Ruger has been ahead of the curve with good cast firearms for some time. Even their new 1911 has a cast frame.
Some people on gun forums wouldn't own a toilet seat not made out of forged, 8620, parkerized steel. Convincing them that cast parts won't get them killed is futile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The history of the manufacturing of the Walther P series is an interresting study...
The complete history can be pieced together by searching this site and a condensed version would make a great sticky...
----------------------------------
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong...
--------------------------------------------------
Quote;
Does anybody really know the whole story about american Walthers? I believe they were made by a machining company out of Alabama for years and stamped with the Interarms Logo.

Ranger Mfr...Gadsden, Al.... 1978-1998.... Under license of Interarms [Sam Cummins]...From castings by Hitchner... [German guns are forged]
----------------------------------------------------------
Quote;
(I assume my latest aquisition is a transition model, it is a PPK/S without the extended beavertail but with the Springfield address)

I believe you are correct, I believe the Springfield guns were made from
at least some of, the Ranger parts from Alabama.

My memory is unclear about the tooling...My recollection is that the tooling remained at the 'Interarms site'....I have lost my links from this study, but the info is on this site...Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will assist.

link;

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/19543-ranger-frames-forged.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Transitional PPK's Should Be a Recognized Variant

I own a Walther .380 stainless PPK/S serial number 3414AAA pictured in these attached photo’s. From the production history and markings the pistol appears produced under the first year of S&W licensing but before S&W put its own serial numbers on the Walther licensed PPK’s made in Houlton, Maine likely in 2000 or 2001. The serialization neither matches Interarms nor S&W numbering systems. In addition the pistol has no punch mark indicating S&W recall repairs; the magazine has an “-A-“ stamped on the spine in addition to the standard Walther markings, and the “VA” proofing mark of Interarms appears on the barrel in the ejection port. In the interim period between the end of the Interarms license (1999) and the beginning of S&W manufacturing (2001) it appears pistols were made in Gadsden, Alabama by Ranger, Black Creek or Mid-South Companies under the S&W license but using various component parts. Records show that 6,600 pistols were manufactured in .380 calibre at Black Creek in 2000. The suffix “AAA” could represent: first 10,000 series, stainless, Alabama, or simply be filler. These transitional American PPK’s need to be recognized and valued much like Luger or P-38 variations, as distinct from the more common serially-numbered German made, Interarms licensed, or S&W manufactured and licensed variations.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
So here's a dumb question. Does Walther actually produce any guns IN Germany? Maybe I'm just getting confused about the origins of the all metal PPK models. But where do their plastic shooters come from?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I own a Walther .380 stainless PPK/S serial number...
Interesting interim timeline between Interarms and S&W. BTW, that pictured gun is a PPK, not a PPK/S. It is also interesting that the slide has the characteristics of the S&W "fangs" on the lower front, where the Interarms and earlier guns are "de-bited" in that area.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't have a micrometer handy, but a ruler tells me my spring is 2-11/16 in length by approx 5/8 in diameter. Hope that helps. As I said, this is approximate. Also, mine is a PPK, not the PPK/S variety. They may be different. Why do you ask?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts