Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Lot of work these last weeks so I managed to go to the range only two times. The P5 shot with authority some MagTech 115 grs and Fiocchi 124 grs, both FMJ. I experienced some FTF on the first round with Fiocchis. The round got catched between the top of the chamber and the slide. Found that it happened when I closed the slide using the lever. No problem when I closed it by retracting the slide.

As MagTech are cheaper, I don't care much, but I will try Fiocchis again in a few months, after 500 rounds or so.

I didn't experience problem anymore with S+B (slide stayed open on a partially full magazine at the first range session), as I filed slightly the internal tip of the slide catch...

No other mods in the pipeline, but I'm still partial to Nill's... Price is stiff (102 euros = $ 120). What are your experience with these? Do you recommand stipling, checkering or Nill's own treatment (Rhomlas)?

Also made a test again my Glock G26: found again that the Glock is very easy to shoot well and fast up to 15 meters, but I would also be uneasy to carry such a piece with its "Safe Action", especially on threat management scenarios. With training, I do very well with the P5 in DA/SA sequences, with a big bonus in safety.

Bye

P.S. Shall I submit to the moderators a proposition to wake this site up: it would be more interesting and interactive to have only two categories: Walther handguns and Walthers rifles.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Laurent @ Mar. 17 2005,7:24)]P.S. Shall I submit to the moderators a proposition to wake this site up: it would be more interesting and interactive to have only two categories: Walther handguns and Walthers rifles.
Glad to hear your P5 is working well. The Nill grips add more grip surface. Some people like it, some don't. I like the looks and feel of the Nils.

Regarding the "safe action". If you train correctly, then your finger will never be on the trigger, so you shouldn't have a problem. I carry the P99QA which has a similar trigger. Haven't had any problems in the 5+ years that I've carried it and used it in IPSC, IDPA and other competitions.

Also regarding the suggestion to just have two forums. Sometimes its nice to seperate the different models, so that people can get more in-depth discussion. The reason I see for the P99 forum being so popular, is because it is "the" Walther pistol right now. It is also much cheaper in price than the P5, P88 or PP series pistols. Some of the P.38's are also out of the price range for most people. So naturally the P99 forum is going to be the most active.

What we really need is for more Walther collectors to find this place and discuss their favorite Walther's here. In other words we need more people like you who like the "classic" Walther's to liven things up around here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks P88, for the explanations and kind words,

Don't worry, I train since the army (1981). Indeed, during our exercices that were mostly done "hot", I saw some strange and frightening situations so I know that the "unbelievable" comes sometime quicker than we imagine. I'm cool blooded and never panicked in these exercices but I saw people that did and infringed all rules. I know that it can and does happen.

Relating to my experience, Safe Actions and so on are not for me. But it's my choice and I highly regard others' options.

Bye

L.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Laurent @ Mar. 17 2005,9:24)]No other mods in the pipeline, but I'm still partial to Nill's... Price is stiff (102 euros = $ 120). What are your experience with these? Do you recommand stipling, checkering or Nill's own treatment (Rhomlas)?
I don't know how I missed this query because I'm a big fan of Nill Grips. Furthermore, I personally prefer the stippled grips for the overall look & texture but I've ordered some Rhomlas grips as well. I've read that their purchase is better and it's easy to understand why.
The overall design has a slight palm swell that is (for me) as close to a custom fit as I can find without ordering a custom grip. The thumbrest version should be tried first, if at all possible.
IMHO, they're absolutely comfortable and beautiful - There's a nostalgia of wood sided blued guns that just does it for me!
All my P7M8s have them, my former P5 and P88 had them, and I have a gorgeous set for my future P5c

Shameless Pic time:

This isn't my P5c but I purchased the grips:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Laurent,
Thanks for your range report - is it easy to get Winchester or CorBon ammo over there? Just curious.
I like the S&B & Fiocchi but I have to order it or pick it up at gunshows. There're not nearly as available or as cheap as the Winchester White Box 9mm target rounds (WWB) which I practice with.
My M8 defense rounds are the Ranger 124 +p+ but I've purchased some CorBon Powerball for my inevitable P5c to test functionailty, reliability, etc.
Thanks for any thoughts!
b-

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all,

bhp, here in Switzerland, "any ammo that deform in the body" has been banned by a stupid gov decision 3 years ago. The definition was so vague and the decision so hasted that the administration needed a full year to precise which ammo was really banned. The result is that even LEOs are limited to FMJ or lead-semi-jacketed... At the same time, Germany which is very restrictive by essence on guns has authorised JHP to civilians and police, after having banned for 30 years - in fact, all anti-terrorists units and official's bodyguards carried for long "killer-ammo" as the medias call it. To say it short, you can forget Corbon and all +P ammo that are usually JHP or worse in Switzerland. In the past, I bought some US ammo (Federal, Remington, CCI...) as my dealer had it at reasonnable prices. For some years, I only see Fiocchi, SB, MagTech, PMC, Geco and Ruag, all FMJ.

Bests

L.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jehzsa,

You will find official lists of authorized/prohibited ammo on the Swiss Confederation adress: http://www.fedpol.ch/f/themen/index.htm
The lists mention only ammos that are controversial. For example, Lapua CEPP and MEN Frangible are authorized. Neither Geco BAT, Ruag SeCo nor MEN Action 4 that are advertised as "controlled expansion" are mentionned and I never saw it for sale since the prohibition, so I believe they are banned.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hello Laurent,

Thank you for the link, I really needed to brush-up on my French and German. Amazing! OK, I'll say it again, Amazing!

So frangibles are OK but forget about SPs and let's not even talk about HPs. Actually, Laurent, it is very similar to the German law that has been in existence for I-don't-know-how-many-years. And it does provide for sporting exceptions. However, its rationale boils down to this. An HP in the leg is a lot worse than a FMJ in the head. If you ask me, my very own personal observation, if I had a choice... I'd rather take it in the leg.  

True, Geco BAT is not on the list. But I wouldn't use it...if I were you.

And btw, what a wonderful selection of proscribed bullets!

BHP, you are driving me nuts with those grips, you are aware of that, aren't you?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jehzsa,

In their papers, the swiss FedPol alludes to Germany "who banned expansive ammo recently". In fact, the ban was pronounced 30 years ago as a mesure against the terrorists of the Rote Armee Fraktion. The Waffen Gesetzt (Gun Law) adopted last year by Germany ended this prohibition. The German Gov recognised, after some incidents involving LEOs shooting 9 mm FMJ, that FMJs are often worse than HP as they penetrate to much and are prone to bounce. I remember 2 actual cases in Germany: a police woman shooting on a felon armed with a knife killed another guy behind, as her FMJ bullets went through the first body; a policemen who was killed after his FMJ bullets were unable to stop his assaillant. The German Gov also recognised that evey tinkerer can make JHPs from FMJs. So when the FedPol speaks about the German example, it makes me laugh gently.

Bests

1 - 10 of 10 Posts