Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am realy interested in this gun for recreational and general plinking purposes. And I have been trying to find more info on it, but (probably because it is new) I haven't come up with much.

First of all I would like to know if the front sight is removable, since it seems to block the view of the scope in the picture. And though I have found some specs, I did not find what the magazine capacity is of the standard mags.

I am very curious about any experiences with this rifle and is it comfortable for shooters with big hands like myself?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jur,
  Welcome to the board!

The front sight should not be a problem with the view from the scope, even if the sight sits in front of the lens.  I know it sounds strange but it is true.  Several AR style rifles I have handled have had the scopes mounted diectly to the bases of the rifles w/o a riser. The front sight has covered at least half of the front of the lens on some rifles, yet when looking through the scope the vision is unaffected.  The higher the magnification of the scope, the less visible the front sight will be.  If you can see it, it will appear as a very very faint cloudy spot.  At 9X magnification, you probably won't notice it at all.

The more I look at the G22, the more I see similarities to the Steyr Aug.  Wouldn't it be great if it was released in a heavier caliber?  9mm or .223?  Then all that tactical add-on stuff would make a little more sense.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ni3Frontier @ April 29 2004,08:08)]Jur,
  Welcome to the board!

The front sight should not be a problem with the view from the scope, even if the sight sits in front of the lens.  I know it sounds strange but it is true.  Several AR style rifles I have handled have had the scopes mounted diectly to the bases of the rifles w/o a riser. The front sight has covered at least half of the front of the lens on some rifles, yet when looking through the scope the vision is unaffected.  The higher the magnification of the scope, the less visible the front sight will be.  If you can see it, it will appear as a very very faint cloudy spot.  At 9X magnification, you probably won't notice it at all.

The more I look at the G22, the more I see similarities to the Steyr Aug.  Wouldn't it be great if it was released in a heavier caliber?  9mm or .223?  Then all that tactical add-on stuff would make a little more sense.

-Yoshi
It certainly was inspiredby the bullpup design of the Aug. But I don't think walther is interested in developing it in heavier calibres, that would mean a lot of research and marketing to increase demand from authorities. I don't think the civilan market would be worth the investment.

The g22 is intended for the same purposes as the p22 it seems, mostly for fun and cheap recreational shooting with safe and modern technology. The tactical stuff is also just meant for fun and added value I think, similar to the tactical add ons for the p22.

And that is why I am interested in one, a high quality and fun .22 rifle with a lot of options for a reasonable price (about 430 euros here in the Netherlands for the standard version)

I hope there will be some reviews around soon, so I can decide wheter I want one or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh you'll see 'em in the U.S. , They'll just say Smith & Wesson on the side. I think this .22 is a test bed for Smith & Wesson getting back into the rifle business and I would not be shocked at all, if Smith ended up offering them in 9,mm, .40 and .45, taking the 99 mags.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Time will tell, but I think you are correct...S&W will jump in there with it's own offerings.

·
Registered
941 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jur @ April 30 2004,12:18)]And that is why I am interested in one, a high quality and fun .22 rifle with a lot of options for a reasonable price (about 430 euros here in the Netherlands for the standard version)
Jur,

Is the G22, available in the Netherlands, threaded for .22 cal. suppressor / muzzle can ?

The US Catalog doesn't mention the possibility of fitting a muzzle accessory.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Better than the AUG, the G22 is a smaller caliber competitor to the Beretta Storm. It looks neater and,being smaller in size and caliber, it's just right for most aplications including range and plinking, which is what most of us do anyhow: I've already placed an order for it but I'm told it's still being evaluated by our firearms commission (Italy here), and in my opinion it won't hit the stores until Christmas or so. Expected price under the 800 euros mark (about 900 US $).
Problem is, I'm sure any kind of factory accessory (the laser for example) will come much later, unless some aftermarket companies will move fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crete @ June 03 2004,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jur @ April 30 2004,12:18)]And that is why I am interested in one, a high quality and fun .22 rifle with a lot of options for a reasonable price (about 430 euros here in the Netherlands for the standard version)
Jur,

Is the G22, available in the Netherlands, threaded for .22 cal. suppressor / muzzle can ?

The US Catalog doesn't mention the possibility of fitting a muzzle accessory.

Thanks.
I know the german catalog mentions the possibility of a muzzle accesory, and I think that they are distributig the same models to the Netherlands. But I doubt a sound suppressor will be available here because as far as I know they are illegal.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks, Jur!

The US Catalog does not mention anything pertinent on this point.

California is even reviewing the P22 due to its threaded bbl and Walther is [said to be] working on a non-threaded P22 for export to CA.

I am in France and I have not seen a G22, yet. As a semi-auto the G22 needs to be licenced (just like the P22), unlike the ordinary .22 LR sporters. Most LR rifles come w/a threaded bbl, as muzzle can use is encouraged at the range and are therefore freely available here.

Regards,
Crete

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello i am new and verry exited about the G22 it looks almost like the assult rifle for halo 2. personally i have disliked bullpup style guns for military use but think that it would be fine for a plinking gun. Personally i hate the AUG cuz it has a HUGE stock and is a very uncomfortable gun. i hope this is a lot different than the AUG!

P.S. i LOVE my P22 cept the really small handle

·
Registered
3 Posts
For everyone interested in the G22 I am here to tell your the thing is great. My store just got one in the other day and I will be purchasing one shortly. They are ranging from $350 on up depending on it you get the stock version or the scoped/dot/laser version...The stock has room from two clips (they actually fit flush with the stock) both ten rounders....one if just for storage both do not feed....it is equipped for the right or left handed shooter and has a great feel for a plinking gun....tons of picatinny rails and a cool design...i'll tell you how mine shoots when i get it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! Newbie WaltherForums poster here...

I just picked up a G22 at the gun show this past weekend. I managed to get it to the range once this week. So here are my first impressions:

* It shot horribly. The sights were way off and it was six inches low at anything under 50 feet. Which is to be expected, I guess, considering the difference between the barrel axis and the sight axis. Gonna have to play with it to see what I'm doing wrong.

* It feels great in the hands. Comfy, light, well-balanced.

* The mag release will take some getting used to. It's hinged at the top, so you have to press on the bottom of the button in order to detach the mag.

* The rear sight slides down & out of the way for when you have a scope mounted. Pretty neat, actually. I'm going to pick up some scope rings and mount something to it. This thing is just dying for optics, IMHO.

More info as I play with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a G22, and upon perusing the manual I was left with some questions. Apparently, in order to disassemble the rifle for cleaning three pins need to be removed. Hmm... How? The brute force solution seems to be an allen key and a rubber mallet. Is there a better way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
brute force is the answer...when i took mine apart to switch over the ejection it was pretty damn tight to get them pins out

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have found at cheapest the G22 for $350 no taxes no nothing. in my hands for $350. no shipping have any of u found them 4 cheaper any where else? please stat the price and store and location thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i got mine for 300 but i guess that's the perk of working at a gun store...we're selling them for 369.98...so 350 isn't bad

1 - 20 of 34 Posts