Walther Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to trouble you. I think I discovered the answers to my questions. The last 2 numbers of my ser # are 76, revealing the year in which it was made. The "HI" that I ask about is the year that the gun was proofed. At least that's what I think I've discovered.

·
Premium Member
8,506 Posts
between the antler and the eagle over an "N", are the letters HI. Can you tell me what they mean? Thank you so much!
HI=78 the year of manufacture and proof
A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
I=8
K=9
The staghorn shows the weapon was proofed in Ulm Germany... the numbers in your serial number are indicative of a manufacture date range...but a 76 at the end of the number wouldn't indicate it was made in 1976....

It would be fairly unusual for either Manurhin or Walther to store a weapon for 2 years before proofing, as it can't be sold until it has been proofed.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Querying Walther for info about late Manurhin pistols (made after termination of the Walther-Manurhin manufacturing license) is a gross waste of time and maybe also money. There isn't much that Walther can tell you, except that they don't know. And the earnest young people telling you that don't even know why they don't know.

Fortunately those old enough to remember will recall that the license expired about 1982-3, and that Manurhin struggled along for another few years before ceasing production. So that pretty well brackets your pistol.

M

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Olsoul, so then can we assume that with the HI marking that it was also made in 1978? As to the 232xxx ser # on mine seemingly falling before the Manurhin ser. # range beginning with 238xxx where do you think it was made? Ulm?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Manurhin PP, cal. 7.65mm, s/n 184xx is NIB with box, 2 mags, cleaning rod, user manual (in German), technical data sheet and a 15m./5 shot test target dated 2 March 1954. Lanyard loop on the frame, this was meant to be sold to the Swedish police in that police district where the arms dealer was situated-no central buying in those days. Why it never was purchased by the police no one knows. I bought it from a fellow collector friend of mine (we are both members of the same weapon collecting society) who owns one of the largest gun and hunting supply stores in Stockholm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After trying to find some information on my PPK/S, I turned up this thread.

I've got a Walther PPK/S in .380 that says 'Distributed by Interarms' and has an Interarms roll mark on the slide. Serial number is 1356**S.

However, no where on my pistol, does it say 'Made in France' or have a Manurhin logo. The barrel is stamped with the number '69', the Cross with antler, as well as the Eagle over N proofmark. The slide and frame has the Eagle over N as well.

The slide is stamped with the Walther banner followed by 'Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.' and 'Modell PPK/S Cal.9mm kurz' and has the Eagle N proof mark. The ejection port side is stamped 'Interarms' then 'Alexandria/Virginia', and just below the ejection port, it has the serial number, but with no S.

On the frame, behind the trigger guard on the ejection side of the pistol, I find the serial number followed by an S, and just to the right of it is the Eagle over N proof mark again. If I remove the grips, on a section of the frame, I find a stamp of the number '1614315'.

Any thoughts? Based on some of the information in this thread, I thought I would at least turn up a Manurhin logo or proof mark or a made in France or something.

Thanks!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts