Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manurhin Catalog & PP Sport

Firstly, thank you very much, Searcher, for the information. I’ll try that path and will let you know what happens.
I imagine the forum participants like to see photos, so I’ll start to post a few. It’s probably better to post the pictures in the corresponding thread, right?
What good is having a collection if you can’t show it? Specially for me, living in a country, and city, in which collecting, shooting or simply owning firearms is an almost clandestine activity. You guys can’t imagine how much I envy you Americans regarding gun activities (I envy many other aspects, too - you guys are ok). If you don’t know how things work at these latitudes, and are interested, just let me know.
Here I’ll post the photos of my “authentic”, meaning “non-Manurhin” PP Sport and the little owner’s manual (in Spanish) that I’d forgotten I had.
Not much, but may interest someone…

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Manurhin PP

The Manurhin PP I have is serial number 26667 and is defaced by having the Walther marks removed from the slide and grips, but is in overall very good condition. From the serial number, I'm believing that it was made prior to 1961. I've emailed Walther to ask and here's a link to some pictures of it...

https://picasaweb.google.com/azasadny/WaltherPP#

·
Registered
66 Posts
Date of manufacture query

I have sent two emails to Walther, asking them about my pistol, but no reply received yet...

It's April 2016 and I never received any info from Walther about my pistol. I just bought a PPK/S from a friend, so I'll post pics and info here as soon as I pick it up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I forgot the "S" suffix so 2560XXS
Just for record keeping, I also have a Interarms Walther PPK/s, serial 252570S with a small "Made in France" and Manurhin logo on the butt and St.Etienne proof barrel.

I presume this was manufactured at Manurhin in early '80s?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Coming in late on this thread....but this question comes to mind---> when we say serial numbers ran "X" to "Y" from (say) 1956 to 1983...... someone then points out that the number in question "Should" therefore be a "__" build date...from the range given.

Question?--> are we assuming rather consistent yearly production numbers?....or is production up-and-down based on the economy and different number of sales per year?

I think one can be "off" considerably if there isn't consistent year-after-year production.

Speaking both Manurhin and Ulm as part of this question.....

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
There is some documentation available to the fact that Walther production was relatively stable: approximately 10,000 units per year for both the PP and PPK models. Can't speak to the Manurhin production, however. The safest way to get an exact determination on post-war pistols is to write to Walther/Germany and supply the folks there with the serial number and model. The chances are good that you'll get a response back within five days or so.

Email: CONTACT NOW : CARL WALTHER, GmbH : ALL-BIZ.INFO: Germany

or, more simply ...

[email protected]

·
Registered
455 Posts
Reference sources say Manurhin PP production (at least for 22LRs that I asked about in another thread) range from serial # 10002 ( 3/1954) to over 54,000 in fall of 1985. On this basis alone....you are tight....the build "average" was 1414/year in this subgroup.

It will be interesting what Walther says. I sent an email. I also contacted the French "proof-house" if they have any records...you see the "Banc E'preuve" certificates shown with a lot of Manurhin guns...and I found the email link and am trying them too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I never did hear back from Walther about my Manurhin. We took it to the range on Friday and my wife loved the gun. It was easier for her to handle than her Ruger LCP and she did very well with the Manurhin PP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Manurhin PP is serial number 26667 and I've sent several emails to Walther asking them (kindly) if they could provide the date of manufacture, but i haven't heard anything back in almost a year. Any guesses on what year this gun was made? Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Where can I get mags for the Manurhin PP 22LR?
I would routinely check the online auction houses, eBay, post a WTB ad on this forum, ask at every gun show you attend, post a note in your local gun shop, etc. You don't stumble on them every day. Triple K makes a mag that fits, and sometimes it even works (I have such a critter that I use for range time). But it's nothing like the real thing, baby.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's some good info. I have a Manurhin PP 22 Cal and it is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. Accurate bulls eye shooter at 60'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post, since I am a very new Walther owner (about 12 hours now).

My Walther PPK/S .380 is marked "made in France" on the bottom of the receiver...and on the other side of the magazine slot you can just make out a small Manurhin logo. Of course it has the Interarms logo as well as the Walther banner, etc. I think the ejector port cover indicates St. Etienne (forgive my spelling).

The serial number on the receiver has the S suffix, the same number on the slide does not.

the serial # is 2539xx S

After reading through this very interesting thread, I have concluded that it must have been made around 1980 or so. If anybody can help me pin that down a bit, I'd be grateful.

I purchased it partly because Walthers are "cool" and partly because I needed a smaller carry gun that could fit in a pocket wityhout notice.

I may fire off an email to Walther and ask them for the exact year of manufacture just for giggles.

However, I am curious about lightening up the trigger spring so I can pull it more easily. I have some nerve damage in my hands and have lost some strength in my right hand...not the end of the world, but it certainly does have a stiff pull in double action mode. I'm sure I will find that sort of info in a different thread, so I will be off now.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Nice to have you with us, Tiger; welcome aboard. You might want to post a new thread in the PP/PPK/TP section of the forum with a photo or two of your pistol; you are likely to get more comments there than you will tucked away in this thread. In the meantime, be sure to check out this:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/20941-value-year-made-what-do-i-have-please-start-here-first.html

A number of links inside that one should help you ID your pistol even more, plush help with posting photos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Serial number request answer from Walther

I have a .380 Manurhin with no Walther markings (S# 2604xx) and I can guess it was made in '84 - '85 but not sure. I emailed Walther ([email protected]) and here's the answer:

When and where was my Walther weapon produced?

As this kind of investigation is very time-consuming and for that reason very expensive, we are unfortunately only able to provide these information to law enforcement agencies free of charge. For answering to inquiries of private individuals we have unfortunately to charge a service fee.

Please find hereafter some general information which will help you to identify your weapon in an easy way.

For all weapons produced prior to the end of WW II in ZELLA-MEHLIS, we do not have any records as the factory there was totally destroyed and all documents got lost in the chaos of war. In the case you own a PP or PPK with letters “P” or “K” at the end of serial number it is a pistol produced prior to 1945. Weapons produced after WW II were manufactured in ULM-DONAU.

Concerning pistols produced by MANURHIN in France and sold under the name MANURHIN we do not have any records, too, and cannot help you with the identification. The same situation we have with the US-made stainless pistols model PP, PPK or PPK/S.

Since 1958 all German weapons had been marked with the German proof marks and in addition with the last two numbers of the year of proof i.e. 67 = 1967. Since 1968 the year of proof is coded by two letters. This code can be translated in the following manner:

A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, K=9. In order to avoid any confusion, there is only an “I” and not a “J”. Hence, a weapon marked with the code “HK” was proofed by a German proof house in 1979.

In the case the above information are not clear enough to determine the age of your Walther weapon, feel free to use the enclosed form. However, unfortunately we have then to charge you the aforementioned service fee. Please take into consideration that we are only allowed to provide the name of the first owner of your weapon to law enforcement agencies.
Note: There was no form attached so I don't know the charge.
I fully restored this pistol and now waiting for the wood grips. I will post "before / after" pictures when done.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where did you get the wood grips. If it's a company I haven't looked at I would like to see what they have. Welcome to Waltherforums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ceb: Your PPK/S .380 Manurhin fits in the known serial range of 238581 to 329527S guns that were produced in France between October 1969 and March of 1984. Given that, your gun was likely made in 1970 or early 1971.

According to Dieter Marschall's fine book "Walther Pistols Models 1 Through P99," the notes of Manurhin or Walther in the "manufacturer's" column refer only to the actual manufacturer and not to whatever may be found on the slide legend. "That is to say, all Model PPs made before number 700,001 and all model PPKs made before number 800,001, and all small caliber versions of Mods. PP/PPK and PPK/S, were manufactured at Manurhin, even if they carry the 'Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do' slide legend." The S suffix designated the PPK/S models.

The Marschall book is an excellent reference for Walther owners and collectors. You can pick it up online at Ucross Books in Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Thank you for the excellent information. A couple of questions if you don't mind: the ser # on my PPK/S 9MM Kurz is 2323xxS and therefore is a tad bit earlier than the aforementioned 238581. What would that tell you about where and when it was made? And secondly, on the right hand side of mine, just above the trigger, between the antler and the eagle over an "N", are the letters HI. Can you tell me what they mean? Thank you so much!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts