Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my local gun shop is getting 2 all German P99's in tomorrow or Monday, one chambered in .40 and one in 9mm.

I have decided that my next gun WILL be a P99, I am just really torn as to what caliber to get. At first I was really leaning towards 9mm because of the option of hicap mags and lower weight / recoil. The option of a threaded barrel and suppressor really doesn't matter to me since I doubt that I will ever go for that lol. When I really think about it the hicap mags are not THAT much of a motivator since I really hope that I would never get into a situation where I would need to fire more than 10 rounds. I also already have a 9mm Ruger P95.

The thing that makes me hesitate about the .40 option is that I've heard that the slide is wider / beefier on that caliber (how much?) and since I've never shot a .40, how extreme is the recoil going to be? I've shot my friend's .45 1911 and that wasn't too much to handle, so how would a .40 compare? The weapon is to be used primarily for home protection, and maybe later for CCW once I get my permit, so that will give you some idea what I'm looking for. I've also heard bad things from some people about the .40 cartridge itself, things like it leading to malfunctions and cracked slides, etc...

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 40 s&w p99 millitary and i cant recommand enought that gun. I have shoot both the p99 9mm and the .40 and the difference is minimal. The 40 have a proven track record and for any pro 9mm you will found sommeone to chear for the 40. The 40 got more punch and will be better for your application plus since the 10 round legal limit better get a gun that will compensate the lack of capacity by more stopping power

·
Registered
382 Posts
hmm. well i prefer 9mm myself because i do have the high cap mags...........when they first introduced the 40 call p99, theyre where alot of problems.,
you gotta look at what caliber the gun was designed for.
for example, the P99 was designed for 9mm, whereas , say, the Hk usp was designed for 40 cal.
I have never heard of any terminal problem from a 9MM p99.........ALL of the problems i have heard coming from ANY p99 ........its with the 40s..........
as far as the frame being bigger.....no, the only cosmetic difference is the 9mm has a "slope" on the barrel hood on the slide whereas the 40 does not, meaning there is more metal on the 40 around this area....

My suggestion,....go with the 9mm.......MANY self defense ammo options....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still leaning towards the .40 at this point.. I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with Walther's warranty / service dept.. For example if the gun did end up malfunctioning, would they give me the run around about fixing / replacing it, or are they pretty good about that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW David S I appreciate your input, it has made me think about getting the 9mm version again..

How many problems have been reported about the .40 P99? I haven't heard all that many reports of P99's failing, have I just not been looking?

·
Registered
231 Posts
You won’t find many reports of them failing because they rarely do. Most of the teething problems were worked out long ago. The slide lock problem on the .40 was a simple magazine follower change. The FTF on the 9mm because people were using too light of a load for break in.

You may find my thoughts and what I own contradictory but here it is anyway. I own 1 P99 in .40, one HK USP .40C and just picked up a 9mm P99.

I prefer 9mm. I am more accurate with that round and like stated above you can find a 9mm home defense round with similar ballistics to a .40.

I think the rule of thumb isn't caliber, it's shot placement. A .22 can stop someone dead in their tracks if placed well.

I am slowly reverting back to 9mm.

Remember these are just my opinions / experiences, YMMV

·
Registered
382 Posts
hahah sounds like a good idea...........
of course, when i bought my first one, there was no choice........heres another thing you might want to consider............what would Bond carry? 9mm........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, I bought a 9mm today at the gun show, in the end, the 9mm just felt better balanced in my hand, and the only .40 they had was the military version which I don't like and they also wanted more money for it..

Spent 660 bucks all told, including tax, transfer, and 300 rounds of 9mm target ammo and 40 Hydra-Shoks.. I am happy with what I paid, I'm sure that I could have gotten a better deal if I had really looked around, but I like instant gratification. I pick it up on Thursday, can't wait.

BTW: WOW what a nice gun this is to hold, very lightweight, well balanced, and comfortable.. Much better feel than my Ruger which I still like. I can't wait to shoot it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I second the congrats, and look foward to seeing a "WTS Ruger P95" ad soon

Unless someone has logged many rnds, or is set financially, or reloads I think the cost of practice should be important in "which caliber" choices.

You go to walmart with $110 and you walk out with 1000 rounds. Now your set for the weekend.

But if you go the 40 route, you'll walk out of walmart with less than 500 ..... Now you'll need to go back on Sunday

1 - 11 of 11 Posts