Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to do this before and life happened. but it began today.

let me start by saying that I am a diehard walther fan and rowland fan too. so it only makes sense to put them together. have been talking to thomas at 460 rowland about doing just that. he never said anything to me about the bore axis, just that he had trouble making a previous q45 run reliably. of course that was with both 45 acp and 460 rowland.

today I ordered a threaded barrel for the conversion. I also ordered what I believe will be the magic bullet. a custom dpm heavy recoil reduction system with a selection of springs. not for recoil reduction, but for the ability to adjust the spring tension in two ways. I am only asking him to make it run the rowland ammo. that should make the whole project much less challenging since rowland has always advertised their conversions to shoot both types of ammo. I will have the threaded barrel for the rowland conversion AND a stock 4.25 barrel, I can swap barrels and recoil assemblies in the unlikely event I want to shoot 45 acp.

when the parts come in, the whole deal will go to thomas to see if he can make it run. if anyone can make it run, he can. not to mention that he doen't like to be defeated either. updates to follow....

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I'm also curious about having a custom barrel made in order to do a .400 CorBon hybrid.

If Walther would make a Q5" in .45....why hell yes. Shut up and takes my monies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. would love to have been able to start out with a longer barrel to bump the muzzle velocity on up. not to mention that the 5" PPQ just looks badass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got the threaded barrel in last week and the custom dpm recoil reduction system came today....and now it looks like 460 rowland is closed as no one is answering the phone today. darn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got an email from thomas this morning. they are up and running. dropped my q45 of at my ffl dealer today. it will be on it's way to rowland tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed that thomas can make it run. stay tuned for what could be the most powerful ppq on the planet. or maybe not.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heard back from thomas @ 460 rowland today...

"It runs like a dream ... well, it has more muzzle flip than other guns but that is because of the barrel is mounted higher or further away from the shooter's hand than other guns.

I am having the barrel engraved and will get it out to you next week."

so next week I should be in possession of the first wather ppq in .460 rowland. new post and pics to follow when I get it in my grubby paws.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
So off the top of your head, would this guy do something in another caliber? Or just the .460?

I've got some money to burn... ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, sorry. just 460 rowland as it uses the same actual bullets as 45 acp. they ream the chamber in the factory threaded barrel for the slightly long cartridge and add a compensator to modify cycle timing. and sometimes a different recoil spring is used. no custom fab work is needed. just some very basic machining and a couple of off the shelf parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any possibility of an update on this project? I know the Walthers aren't supposed to even run +P ammo because of excessive wear. I'd imagine running 460 rowland will severely reduce the lifespan of your PPQ and probably void the warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the ppq does not have enough chamber support to run full power 460 rowland. the compensator greatly reduces the force that the slide and frame see from recoil. I could have watered the ammo down to 45 super levels and it would have lived a long and healthy life. but what fun would that be? I parted the gun out and bought a fnx tactical and converted it to 460 rowland. problem solved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow super fast response! I guess part of my thinking was a bit of jealousy my USP 45 brothers get to shoot 45 Super out of the box. Glad to hear you're enjoying the FNX Tac. That was definitely high on my list, but at more than 2x the price of a PPQ 45 SD, I couldn't justify it (yet).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
keep your eye on gundeals. I have seen the fnx tac pop up for $850-$950 every month or two.

I asked thomas at 460 rowland about a conversion for a hk. he said the hk lacked the proper chamber support for 460 rowland also....even with a custom barrel. he really tried to make the hk work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts