Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After other Forum members made me aware of the Truglo hybrid Tritium/Fiber Optic sights, I bought a set of TFX for my Q.
Then I read, and read, and read everything I could find about installing the rear sight. The front is a no-brainer, but the rear had me stressing.
The rear sight slot in the slide measured 10.39mm, but the TFX sight measured 10.50mm. I realize there has to be an interference fit, but it seemed like quite a bit.

I called Truglo and asked them how tight it should be. They didn't have an exact number, but said they'd never heard of a fit problem. Even so, they kindly offered to install the sight if I'd send in the slide.

Before doing so, I thought I'd check with the crew at the shooting range I frequent to see if they would put it on for me.
Having already removed the OE rear sight, I showed up at the range shortly after they opened to have Jeff install it. He wasn't in yet. Damn.

I reinstalled the OE sight then shot 100 rounds with the TFX front and the OE rear.
As I'm about to leave, Jeff arrives.
Me: 'Can you install this rear sight, and do you have time to do it?'
Jeff: "Yeah, hang on, shouldn't be a problem."

He takes the slide and sight, walks to the end of the counter, and before I realize what's happening, picks up a little nylon-tipped hammer and taps the sight 4 or 5 times moving it into position, looks at the end of the slide and says "try that, I think it's straight..."

I'm humbled. And embarrassed. All my visions of an exotic sight press being used are crushed.

He says: "Put the gun back together and shoot it, and I'll adjust it."

So I go back in and shoot ten rounds from about 20 feet, slow fire, about once per two seconds. This is what I got:

Ummm... close enough.
Moral of the story: Fixed rear sights go on a PPQ a lot easier than it looks.

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Glad yours installed easily with the nylon tipped punch. It is sure refreshing to hear that every so often the stars align and everything goes smoothly...
BTW I think your smith did a bang up job of eyeball zeroing! That is an art.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have installed fixed rear sights on both on my Qs. The hardest part was the filing necessary on the sights I got. One I didn't quite file enough so it took some time tapping it into place and getting it centered. The other I filed too much and it was a challenge to get it centered because it moved too much when I tried to tap it. I haven't tested the second one yet since I have installed the sight so I don't know if I got it right.

I'd be happy to have a target look like yours. Guess I have some work to do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep, that's all it takes is a little brute force. I installed mine on my P99 a couple days ago and was being all careful and it wouldn't budge. I realized a few sharp blows is much better than a bunch of soft blows. In reality it went in piece of cake once I stopped trying to be all gentle with it. It's kind of like driving a nail into wood...you can sit there and tap it gently for hours and nothing will happen because you aren't overcoming the friction but if you give it a couple good blows, the nails goes right in. Same with metal against metal when installing sights.

I have a whole workshop of tools at my hangar where I build aircraft but I did the whole install in my garage with a countertop, tshirt for some cushion between slide and counter, a wooden dowel (handle from one of those cheap foam brushes from HD or Lowes) and a hammer. Just lay the gun on it's right side, insert the sight on left side and give it a few wacks. Absolutely zero marks on the sight or slide. I thought my vise would be necessary but it's not as you really don't have to use that much force, just a couple sharp blows. Once it's fully inserted it's quite snug but not overly tight so it's very easy to move it back and forth to dial it in with much lighter taps. It's the initial couple blows where you have to be a little more convincing to get it started.

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
The other I filed too much and it was a challenge to get it centered because it moved too much when I tried to tap it.
This is why I avoid filing except as a very last resort.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
The other I filed too much and it was a challenge to get it centered because it moved too much when I tried to tap it.
When doing a little custom fitting, as in filing, LESS is better. In other words, take about 3 strokes and then check it. Similar to making love.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When doing a little custom fitting, as in filing, LESS is better. In other words, take about 3 strokes and then check it. Similar to making love.
Yeah lesson learned. But it's good now. I did have to make a slight change to it after the first setting. But it seems good now. Part of the problem I found was it wasn't filed straight. So one corner would hang up and the other would be a bit loose. Because once I got it to a certain point of tapping it in it would move at just a slight tap. Maybe the third time will be the charm. The hardest part was trying to figure out if it was centered using a pair of calipers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts