Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that my Taran Tactical +5 base pads will work w/ an overdrive magwell from Taylor Freelance? (Links to products)

To be clear, I have the extended base pads now, want to order a magwell, but not if it won’t fit.

If no one knows, I’ll have to buy more base pads (for every mag I own) from Taylor, which I’d like to avoid if I can just buy one magwell.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,537 Posts
I'm thinkin' this shouldn't be much of a problem....you might get an idea by reading thru this thread Makin' Chips Fly.

Now, more to the point, I've got a few TF overdrive magwell flares. I bought one red one a year or so ago and recently bought a few more in red and blue. While working with all the mags in the link above I noticed that the red magwell flares were a little different....nothing that would jump out at you, just some tiny changes to the CNC program to alter the inside surfaces/contour. So, I had one red magwell flare that worked perfectly with all my modded mags (I'm assuming this was the newer one) and one that would not allow some of the mags to be fully inserted. So, I determined where the interference was and began a tedious process of a little grinding, using a burr and sanding roll, reinstall and check to see if I'd solved the problem. I must have installed/removed that magwell flare 5 or 6 times, each time doing a little more skulpting. Finally, I had a winner. So, to make it look a little better, I taped up the magwell flare and sprayed a little flat black over the exposed aluminum on the inside where I'd been working.

All I'm saying is, I think the Tarran Tactical base will be a simple fix. It may fit without any mods, or you might have to do a little skulpting on the inside of the flare where the interference is.

Here's some pictures of the TF overdrive magwell showing the amount of clearance on the front side, and I suspect that's where you might have a inference issue between the TF magwell and the TT base plate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Taylor Freelance magwell with Springer Precision basepads. I had to modify the basepads to fit. Sanded some metal off the top at a 45 degree angle. Not sure about the TTI basepads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts