Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this limited edition PPK/s on the TALO Distributors web site and ordered one. Mine has a cute serial number, just 1's and 2's, the stainless finish is quite pretty and real wood grips give it a sophisticated look that is lacking in the other PPK/s we own. I live in Alaska... All the rifles an pistols in the safe are for competition, defense, or putting food on the table. I expect this "First Edition" will be a safe queen. Something my grandkids will like.

Looking over the different threads here it seems people have been waiting a long time for new production of various models. Seems strange there is no mention of this TALO model. What am I missing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one, picked it up at my local store a month or two ago. It's a gorgeous gun and a real pleasure to shoot with the right ammo. I've gotten a decent number of compliments on it. In a world full of plastic guns, it certainly sticks out. I run a box of ammo through it just about every week. It always finds its way into the range bag somehow.;)

It isn't all great though, mine has been a bit problematic on the reliability front. It is extremely picky with ammo and has an issue with the slide lock popping up under recoil with a loaded magazine. I emailed Walther a couple weeks ago about it but haven't heard back yet, not a good sign for customer service. It also requires frequent cleaning. With ammo it likes, the first 50 rounds run just fine but it starts going down hill fast after that. I suspect that's the nature of a tightly toleranced gun using direct blowback. On the bright side, it's easy to clean even if it does get filthy fast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't had a chance to throw lots of different ammo into mine; only S&B FMJ so far. I have some Winchester white box and Hornady CD on hand which I'd planned to use this weekend until plans went awry. Oh well.

However, so far, 100% reliable, unlike BB's and someone else on the "this new version is happening" thread (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/113550-fort-smith-ppk-ships-december-14.html) whose handle I don't recall. As with that other thread, my opinion is that if reliability were a big problem you'd have lots of posts here, videos, reviews, and other indications -- and there aren't. That's not at all to suggest that the issues BB raised are at all invalid.

Notes:
- The beavertail is the long one which suits me fine as I've experienced no slide bite.
- The feed ramp is very smooth. Between that and a fair number of reviews citing no issues with a wide variety of ammo (I like the "what's for dinner" section if you search for "new production walther ppk/s shooting impressions" on the Tube; 10 different JHP rounds) I'm not expecting any serious issues. Will post if any occur.
- Unlike the pre-production models reviewed on YouTube, the slide and beavertail are polished and not sharp.
- Recoil, in my opinion and with an ammo sample of one type, is light. Still managed to wear a bit on the right thumb web, nothing serious.
- My DA group (fire, release hammer, do another DA shot, repeat) was the same diameter as my SA group. It's smooooth and readily partially-pulled or staged or whatever suits you.
- On that note, it's very accurate and I'm out of practice. I need more spare time. More later on that.
- Unlike prior versions, the trigger guard takedown lever doesn't stage sideways. I (after ensuring safe, which everyone does anyway!) use two fingers of the right hand to hold it open, pull slide with left, done.
- As far as I know the only differences between "First Edition" and the rest will be a) the cocobolo grips and b) the words "First Edition" on the slide.

As far as fit for purpose:

After some test rentals and some rounds with my G19 lately, I've become convinced that *for me* I'm inclining against polymer frames and striker pistols. Don't read that wrong; my G19 has never had a single issue over 20 years and is accurate, and I rented a Sig 365 that was similar.

However, it's really really hard to inadvertently fire a DA firearm, and between the PPK/S and the Cougar I'm finding sustained fire from metal frames much more comfortable for me. For carry purposes, since I don't expect to be able to do hours upon hours of range and practice time, 4-5 pounds between safe holstering or draw and bang is not for me. Seeing the PPK/S do well in DA is a big plus.

Secondly as an arm for self-defense I have no qualms with .380. I am not looking to exceed the FBI specs. 5-10 years ago if you'd asked I would've said "don't bother" but the modern rounds seem to be good. I am not asking for nor expecting the round to magically become a .45 or to grow to 9x19 upon drinking ent draughts. (To the original post, I haven't been to Alaska but it features more large things and larger open spaces than here)

I guess that brings up the other point of the original post; as a thing to own it's a joy. Classic lines (no obviously not a true "Bond" .32 PPK), well-made, beautiful grips.

·
Super Moderator
7,361 Posts
I just got one with only 0s and 1s in the serial number. It's the digital edition...... ;)
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am confused...…. I paid $769 for my PPK/s First Edition and they are still available from Talo Distributors....So why are people BIDDING them to $1400?

Something else confusing. " To commemorate the return of the PPK family, and the beginning of Walther’s US-based manufacturing.... " So, all the PPK/s made in Houlten, Maine was what? Practice? LOL

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding on lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Something else confusing. " To commemorate the return of the PPK family, and the beginning of Walther’s US-based manufacturing.... " So, all the PPK/s made in Houlten, Maine was what? Practice? LOL

Those Houlton jobs were stamped 'Under License of'. These won't be, because they're technically Walther products rather than S&W products made under license from Walther.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts