Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for my next handgun purchase and I'm in the market for a new 9 mm. I already have a Sig P228, Glock 17 and Ruger KP89D. My next likely candidates are either a Beretta 92G-SD, a Springfield XD or a Walther/S&W 99.

Since this is the Walther forum, I figured you could give me lots of reasons to make it a Walther. I'm specifically interested in:
- Reliability
- Accuracy
- Cost and availability of accessories, including hi cap mags, sights and holsters for concealed carry
- DA/SA vs. the QA trigger. (I understand that all new models will be QA-only? Any complaints/problems with that?)
- Sensitivity to ammo (I like to use WWB 115-gr for practice and JHP for home defense)
- Can anyone tell me how well the interchangeable backstraps work? (I like large grips -- everything I get ends up with Hogue rubber finger-groove grips installed.)
- Any other issues I don't know about yet

Thanks for the help!
Jim

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most of this info can be gleaned by reading over the sight.
You have to decide what caliber you want. The 9mm has easy to find hicaps. Several places make nightsights. Lots of holsters. Backstraps are nice. I have medium size hands but use the smalls. There is also a derma grip you can put over it. I think it is a really good bang for the buck and very high quality. Some trouble with magazine floorplates in the .40's. Other than that very reliable. Very accurate. Trigger is a matter of preferance and what you are used to.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My friend owns a Springfield XD and he thinks the p99 is superior in many ways. A walther is only about 150(max more expensive) then the XD. Since your in the navy I assume you have shot berreta's you know there less then great reliabilty on average. All your other choices are good but the walther is damned accurate rugged as hell and i have never had it jammed.

The backstrap switch out is great for any hand size. Its very ambidextrious. The mag release is hard to accidently do anything to. Even though you can easily work it. Its tons better then the push button mag release of others.

The gun has eaten all the ammo i have put in it.

look do your research on all the guns your thinking about and compare. Each group will say they have the best. Decide for yourself and I bet if you shoot all three and hold each you will see the superiority of the Walther.

As for QA DA etc maybe thats better to ask as a seperate question. You also might find out what each means and ask yourself which suits what you are going to do with your new Walther if you choose to buy one.

I love my P99 but everyone has a different taste. Just get a 2004 version.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info....

I have some experience with Berettas, but I've found that reliability is directly related to the magazines. The government bought cheap mags and we pay the price. Factory or Mec-Gar mags tend to be much more reliable, especially in less-than-friendly environments (like the desert). You'll find lots of soldiers and Marines have bought their own Mec-Gar mags for their Service-issue pistols.

I'm a bit dismayed that I can't seem to find a source for reasonably-priced hi capacity magazines. The best I've seen is Earl's -- and they want $40 a piece. That leads me to think that all of the Walther-specific accessories will be high priced (compared to Sig, Glock, Ruger, Beretta, etc.)

As far as QA vs. AS, I understand what the QA does. I just wanted to see if anyone has any issues with the new set up. I'd like a chance to shoot both -- but I wanted to see how hard I need to look for an AS configuration.

Hopefully I can try out the Walther, Springfield and S&W for myself!

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had an XD-9 and hated the trigger after only one trip to the range. I traded it on a P99 and there after bought another because I liked it so much.

The fit of the P99 is perfect for me; I have larger hands but prefer the small grip backstrap. Very accurate and dependable. I have a number of Walthers and they are outstanding in regard to their fit and finish.

BTW, in addition to the Walthers, I have one of every CZ pistol made and my usual carry pistol have been a CZ-100 9mm or a PCR--I think they are oustanding for their combination of cost, accuracy and reliability., far above the Berettas and the S&W pistols.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cigarman, do you have a .32 CZ-70 as well?  I had one many years and gave it away.  It became so unreliable that it didn't make any sense to keep it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
DONT BUY FROM EARLS. They are very expensive. There mags coming out on the market right now for the walther that work just fine that are not thousands of dollars. From the time I bought my walther till now prices on all acsories have dropped.

Also there are no safety grips or trigger safetys that make the walther unpleasent to shoot. if you were new i wouldnt suggest this but even basic navy training is more then enough to safely handle a safetiless firearm. Not to mention you have a glock.

The night sites are the same price as well.

I have spent seveal a day at the armory cleaning Berreta, my friend is prior army, works at a nuke plant and uses one there. Reliability and function by both are expernises are not just due to magazines. Neither one us hate the gun its just low on our list.

P.S. the Smith and Wession is not a walther. I had some training by a few big gun nuts, one being a former Russian spetsnaz. They do a lot of one handed work and the walther is far better and easier to do this. Never know when your gonna fuck up a hand.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cigarman @ Feb. 08 2005,9:20)]I had an XD-9 and hated the trigger after only one trip to the range.

The fit of the P99 is perfect for me; I have larger hands but prefer the small grip backstrap.  Very accurate and dependable.  I have a number of Walthers and they are outstanding in regard to their fit and finish.

BTW, in addition to the Walthers, I have one of every CZ pistol made and my usual carry pistol have been a CZ-100 9mm or a PCR--I think they are oustanding for their combination of cost, accuracy and reliability., far above the Berettas and the S&W pistols.
I really want to try out all of the guns. The idea of the changeable backstrap appeals to me, as well as the fact that the Walther has some semblance of finger grooves. I like those on my Glock a lot.

I tried a CZ-75B before I made my last purchase and ended up going with the Ruger KP89D. I shot them side-by-side at the range and found the Ruger was more comfortable and more accurate for me. (So much of choosing a gun comes down to what "feels" right).

I'm worried that a Walther may be hard to find for rent at a range....I may have to solicit my local clubs and see if anybody has one I can try out!

Thanks for the info!
Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I stopped by the gun shop and held the P99. It felt REALLY good...I wish I could have shot it right there! By contrast, the Springfield XD just wasn't comfortable at all -- the grip safety rubbed my hand the wrong way and it just felt bad.

Has anyone bought a P99 from CDNN? They have new "surplus" guns in stock for $470. I called them today and the guy wasn't sure, but it sounds like they are probably 2003 models. Can anyone tell me how significant the changes were between the 2003 and 2004 versions of the P99? Is it worth an extra $50 or $60 to get a 2004?

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have only seen posts of peoples 2004 models and the trigger guard looks to be the difference mine is 2003.If I had to choose I like the 03 better.the best price I have seen the LEO marked 15rd mags is 35 from the factory.when you get a p99 and you will because you have now touched one!you will love it at the range!great feel ,accurate, its like a fork...pick it up and it works.I would bet my A$$ on it any day.
I have tried those cheesy promags and had to do dremeling to get them to lock in and function correctly,they are STRICTLY range only, NOT for carry and not worth it.just order them from walther/SW.
you picked one up now youre hooked same happened to me had to have one

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ Feb. 10 2005,6:22)]Can anyone tell me how significant the changes were between the 2003 and 2004 versions of the P99? Is it worth an extra $50 or $60 to get a 2004?
I answered my own question....Dr Lunde's FAQ page describes the changes in detail. Sounds like the trigger guard and the Picatinny-style rail are the most significant changes. I don't have a light yet, but having a "standard" rail vice a proprietary is a big selling point to me.

I still want to find one to shoot, but the 2004 P99AS is quickly moving to the top of my list!

·
Registered
28 Posts
the one thing I really like about my "03 9mm is it is RIGHT on.other pistols I have or had either I had to learn the weapon or its accuracy wasn't there,this baby ,you point shoot and it is dead on.accuracy is excellent.I like that you can get a threaded barrel or an extended ported one for a decent price and mags are 35 bucks.you can even get a stainless recoil reducer if you wanna eliminate the flexible guide rod it comes with.I also like the Tennifer protection it has, its not a surface treatment but it goes deeper into the metal, so if you wear off the black it still has corrosion protection.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[b said:
Quote[/b] (p-99quality @ Feb. 11 2005,10:18)]I like that you can get a threaded barrel or an extended ported one for a decent price and mags are 35 bucks.
I guess I'm spoiled by my Glock/Sig/Ruger experience -- standard capacity mags for those guns run $20 or less. So paying $35 or $40 each is a bit of sticker shock for me!

Any comments on the titanium finish? CDNN carries the titanium and the military finish - -not the standard black. I've read that the titanium wasn't as durable...anyone with any horror stories about slide wear?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got the all black 9mm P99 QA. Here are some reasons to buy it.

I cant say for sure for anyone else, but the P99 is inherently more accurate than any other pistol I've shot, simply because of the comfortable way that it fits in your hand.

Germans very rarely make bad guns or cars.

James Bond. He uses the 03 model though I believe.

I happen to be really annoyed by the double action trigger, but the QA trigger is really nice. Feels like a glock, only a little heavier. Around 7 pounds.

I've put well over 1000 rounds through my gun in the last two months, a good portion of which were +P Speer Gold Dots. Its still shooting perfectly, and I've never had a misfire. I've seen other people limp wrist it if they're used to steel pistols, but that doesnt count. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a good thread. I'm looking into getting a P99 also. I know I don't want the DAO, but I'm debating between the QA and the AS triggers. I have only found one shop around here has them and haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I can find new or lightly used ones online for ~$500, locally for around $600. I see you've mentioned CDNN; I assume that's cdnninvestments.com, but I don't see pistols for sale on their site. Do any of you have links to (relatively) inexpensive retailers online?
Sorry to be intruding on the thread. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Check out http://www.ak-47man.com . I bought my P99 there. Excellent personal service (order by phone). Mine was around $500 CC price. I wish the QA came with a decocker to put it in DA mode, that would really make it a nifty gun IMO. Of course the whole point of QA is consistent trigger pull no matter what. I like the AS trigger but I've found the SA follow up trigger to be a bit light every now and then. Shot the ceiling at the range once.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[b said:
Quote[/b] (nyarlotep @ Feb. 15 2005,6:19)]This is a good thread. I'm looking into getting a P99 also. I know I don't want the DAO, but I'm debating between the QA and the AS triggers. I have only found one shop around here has them and haven't had a chance to check them out yet. I can find new or lightly used ones online for ~$500, locally for around $600. I see you've mentioned CDNN; I assume that's cdnninvestments.com, but I don't see pistols for sale on their site. Do any of you have links to (relatively) inexpensive retailers online?
Sorry to be intruding on the thread. Any help is appreciated.
CDNN only deals with firearms through their catalog and by phone. They won't even answer an email about a gun!

Go to their web site (www.cdnninvestments.com) and look for the link to download the catalog. (It's a 12.7 MB PDF file -- slow if you're not on broadband!)

CDNN only has the 2003 models (old rail, old slide serrations, "hump" in the trigger guard). They come with 2 10-rd mags. They have the P99 9mm QA in military (green) and DA/SA P99 9mm in the old titanium slide (starting in 2004 they only come in black).

OnPoint Firearms has the 2004 P99 AS 9 mm for $507 + $28 S/H -- but they're currently out of stock. They do have some QAs in stock in green and .40 S&W.

Personally, I don't like the single-action only of the QA. If I have the pistol decocked, it's nice to be able to fire with a double action pull. I'll stick with the AS -- before they stop making them!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Feb. 15 2005,7:02)]Check out http://www.ak-47man.com . I bought my P99 there. Excellent personal service (order by phone). Mine was around $500 CC price.
Wow...thanks for the info. Those are the best prices I've seen by about $25. I'm going to call them today and see how long it would take to get me a P99 AS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ Feb. 07 2005,9:33)]I'm getting ready for my next handgun purchase and I'm in the market for a new 9 mm. I already have a Sig P228, Glock 17 and Ruger KP89D. My next likely candidates are either a Beretta 92G-SD, a Springfield XD or a Walther/S&W 99.

Since this is the Walther forum, I figured you could give me lots of reasons to make it a Walther. I'm specifically interested in:
- Reliability
- Accuracy
- Cost and availability of accessories, including hi cap mags, sights and holsters for concealed carry
- DA/SA vs. the QA trigger. (I understand that all new models will be QA-only? Any complaints/problems with that?)
- Sensitivity to ammo (I like to use WWB 115-gr for practice and JHP for home defense)
- Can anyone tell me how well the interchangeable backstraps work? (I like large grips -- everything I get ends up with Hogue rubber finger-groove grips installed.)
- Any other issues I don't know about yet

Thanks for the help!
Jim
High Cap mags - http://topglock.com/catalog/sunset.htm

Holsters - http://www.whog.org/holsters/delfatti.htm or http://secure.fobusholster.net/Merchan....de=WA99

Night sights - http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Product....ht.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts