Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so hopefully I got this in the correct place.

I changed my mag release last evening but I have an issue.

I have a new PPQ Subcompact model in 9mm. When the mag release is mounted on the left (default) side, the 15 round mag snaps right in, but when I switch it to the right (left hand) side, I have to slap it hard to get it to latch. The short 10 round mags snap in fine either way, and if I take the plastic sleeve off the 15 round mag it snaps in just as easily.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am speaking from the perspective of one who has a Gen 4 Glock in the houselhold, which also is designed to reverse the mag release. The magazines have a notch on each side for use with the mag catch mounted either to the left or the right, and I am guessing that your PPQ M2 Subcompact uses a similar concept.

You stated that the 10 and 15-round (with no sleeve) magazines both lock in with no problems, but the 15-rounder has problems with the sleeve on. It sounds to me as if either: 1) there is a minor variation in the notch on the left side of your 15-round magazine that causes it to have to be pressed in just a little farther before the catch engages it; or 2) the portion of the mag catch that engages the left-sided notch is a hair higher inside the mag well. The reason the 10-rounder and the sleeveless 15-rounder engage without force is because there is nothing outside the mag well limiting how far you can press them into the mag well. With the sleeve on, you have something that limits how far in you can press the magazine, and that seems to allow you to press it in just far enough for the catch to engage the notch on your magazine.

It would take some very careful measurement to determine which of the above-mentioned variations exists in either the magazine notch or the catch inside the weapon. Either way, you may find that continuing to load and unloaded the 15-rounder with the sleeve on will facilitate some wear that will make it easier to seat it. The other option might be to VERY carefully work on the upper edge of the magazine's notch with some very fine grit sand paper, wrapped around a Popsicle stick for control, to make it seat without so much force. Be careful if you do this, though. You don't want to accidentally cause the magazine to seat too low so that the bolt face (or breach block if you prefer that term) fails to properly contact the case head of the top round in your magazine when it cycles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Think1st. I was thinking along the same line. I'd thought of taking a tiny amount off the sleeve but I'm not going to do that. Sooner or later one of my sons will get this and they're all right handed.

I think loading and unloading the mag repeatedly is a good idea to try first, then maybe file a very little on the notch in the mag, but I really don't want to do that unless except as a last resort.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope loading and unloading it helps. The nice thing is that if it doesn't, and you have to take a smidgen off the magazine's left notch, it won't affect the side of the magazine your right-handed sons will be using when they switch the release back to the other side.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
I don't believe loading and unloading the mags is going to help this situation. Have you tried removing the slide and THEN inserting the magazine? You could even remove the spring and follower from the mag, put the base plate back on and, slide the sleeve down the mag and insert this into the frame (slide removed). With the mag inserted take a look at how close the top edge of the mag on the left side/rear is to the bottom of the ejector. It'll be close, but it shouldn't touch.

Modifying (meaning filing) the top edge of the latch hole on the left side of the mag would fix the 'stiff latch in' problem, but it'd might create another problem.

After mulling this over, two ideas came to mind. You could remove a little material from the top or bottom of the sleeve. That'd give you a sleeve, custom fit to work with this pistol and a 15 mag round when the button is set up on the right side for a left hand shooter. When you give the pistol to your son, buy another stock sleeve to go with it.

Or, you could remove the base plate from a dedicated 15 round mag, and slide the baseplate upside down on a piece of sand paper, removing just a little...probably wind out removing the little raised bumpers made into the baseplate. Put that plate back on the mag....put the sleeve on and slide er' into the magwell....keep taking a little off the baseplate until the mag can be inserted and it 'clicks' in like its supposed to.

It'll cost much less to replace the baseplate than the sleeve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much. Those are really good suggestions. I'll work on it tomorrow evening. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new here so hopefully I got this in the correct place.

I changed my mag release last evening but I have an issue.

I have a new PPQ Subcompact model in 9mm. When the mag release is mounted on the left (default) side, the 15 round mag snaps right in, but when I switch it to the right (left hand) side, I have to slap it hard to get it to latch. The short 10 round mags snap in fine either way, and if I take the plastic sleeve off the 15 round mag it snaps in just as easily.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I had this exact same problem. I wondered if I had the spring seated incorrectly. I took it to the range and got 32 rounds off (using 15-round magazine) and then had a recoil spring malfunction. Round #33 wouldn't chamber and was at an angle so clearing was difficult. The recoil spring appeared to have a couple coils stacked on each other and felt mushy. I left it for the range gunsmith to check and he said he reshaped the recoil spring and it should be good. We'll see.

Keep us updated on how you go about resolving this issue. My concern is that I don't know if the change in the mag release caused the recoil spring issue or if they are separate issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remove the mag button again. Carefully inspect the “tab” that engages the mag slot. It may have some “flashing” or just be out of spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys!

I've actually tried imaoldfart's idea of removing a little off the floor plate of my mag. I just barely shaved anything off the 4 buttons and it now snaps right in. I only did it last evening and haven't tried it yet but with the minute amount I took off, I think it will work fine. I also think it would still be fine if I switched it back to the left side.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it later this week. I think it's supposed to rain all week. I'll post how it works.

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Way to go MQ1. All you've got to do to test this mag in a full size Q is remove the slide and insert the mag. Push the mag up as far as it will go (meaning the base plate is solidly against the bottom of the frame). While holding it in that position, look to see if the mag is touching the ejector. If its clear, then you're good to go, you can use that mag in either pistol, as the most important thing is the magazinel latching in at the correct height, and that's determined/controlled by the top edge of the latch hole in the mag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way to go MQ1. All you've got to do to test this mag in a full size Q is remove the slide and insert the mag. Push the mag up as far as it will go (meaning the base plate is solidly against the bottom of the frame). While holding it in that position, look to see if the mag is touching the ejector. If its clear, then you're good to go, you can use that mag in either pistol, as the most important thing is the magazinel latching in at the correct height, and that's determined/controlled by the top edge of the latch hole in the mag.
Thanks OF. I already checked that. It's clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I first switched mine it did the same thing but it also made a strange thunking noise when pressing the button in without a magazine in. So I took the button back out and it looked to me like I did not have the spring set in properly. After redoing it my full mag seats much easier but still not quite as easy as the 10 rounders. Makes me think they may have over engineered the sleeve just a touch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts