Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy an SW99 in .45 for $400 with box, paperwork and two mags. I already have three 1st gen P99’s in 9mm with the AS trigger as well as an SW99 in 9mm. I think very highly of the SW99 and in some ways find it to be a better firearm than the P99’s of it’s era (rail type, front slide serrations), thus I’ve always kept an eye out for an SW99 in .45, however I’ve never handled let alone shot one because they are rather uncommon. Is it a disappointment; how does this frame handle .45 vs 9mm, etc.? Feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. If I am remembering correctly the 45acp version is a little bigger than the 9mm and .40 versions.
You're correct, I found an old American Rifleman article that details the SW99 .45's weight and dimensions:

Does anyone know whether the SW99 .45 takes a different recoil spring assembly & weight than the SW99/P99?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your feedback, especially those of you with an SW99 in .45. Super helpful. Where have you found replacement recoil spring assemblies? Finding ones for the standard P99 in 9mm was hard enough last I looked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well obviously I bought it hahaha. Condition is extremely good, just a bit of wear on the right muzzle end and a few light scratches. Seems to include everything except the manual and medium backstrap.

I’ll hunt down a few extra mags. How much do they typically go for? Also will hunt down a spare recoil spring assembly, although this one appears shot very little so I’ll probably be fine for a few hundred rounds to test it out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice pistol! That was a really good pick up.

I'd expect to pay $30 to 50 dollars for magazines on this gun. Potentially even higher because they really aren't readily available so one can really name their price to a certain extent. In any case I'd not pay more than $75 dollars or so as a hard ceiling, even for NIB pristine mags.

I PM'd you a link to a seller with one (no affiliation).
Thank you for your assistance. I’ll keep an eye out for a spare recoil spring assembly. Do you know whether S&W produces small batches of them from time to time? I’m wondering if worst case an uncaptured one from another make/model of the same weight could be used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks all. I found three additional (all new in original packaging) mags plus a manual. So I now have a complete setup with five mags. Also, the SW99 in 9mm vs. .45 do NOT use the dimensionally same backstraps, I compared them. The .45 backstraps are wider and taller.

I haven’t been able to shoot it yet but will report back once I do so. The gun appears fired very little but I’d still like to find an additional recoil spring assembly if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts