Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy an SW99 in .45 for $400 with box, paperwork and two mags. I already have three 1st gen P99’s in 9mm with the AS trigger as well as an SW99 in 9mm. I think very highly of the SW99 and in some ways find it to be a better firearm than the P99’s of it’s era (rail type, front slide serrations), thus I’ve always kept an eye out for an SW99 in .45, however I’ve never handled let alone shot one because they are rather uncommon. Is it a disappointment; how does this frame handle .45 vs 9mm, etc.? Feedback is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You and I are in the same position. I own 4 P99s in each caliber except 45ACP (9, 40, 357sig) and have been on the lookout for an SW99 in 45. The one time I handled one it was just as sweet as all the other 45s. Never heard anyone complain about frame issues with the 45 as its softer shooting than either the 40 or 357sig. If it were me, and the inspection was positive and the price reasonable, I'd go for it. A big plus is that yours has 2 mags, whichh are incredibly hard to come by.

·
Administrator
3,631 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy an SW99 in .45 for $400 with box, paperwork and two mags. I already have three 1st gen P99’s in 9mm with the AS trigger as well as an SW99 in 9mm. I think very highly of the SW99 and in some ways find it to be a better firearm than the P99’s of it’s era (rail type, front slide serrations), thus I’ve always kept an eye out for an SW99 in .45, however I’ve never handled let alone shot one because they are rather uncommon. Is it a disappointment; how does this frame handle .45 vs 9mm, etc.? Feedback is much appreciated.

I had one when they first came out but stupidly sold it after a few years.

It was a good gun that handled and shot like a larger P99.

I had no problems with it.

It's a gun I regret selling.

The .45acp is not a high pressure round and I've not heard of it causing problems for the SW99.

I have no idea what the spare parts situation is for these guns now but that is something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a SW9945.

I like it. I used it as a bedside gun for quite some time.

9 shot capacity is kind of 'meh' but otherwise it is an excellent pistol. Mine has had flawless reliability, although I haven't shot it a ton.

If you're a fan of the SW99 and a fan of 45ACP then you simply can't go wrong... although as mentioned parts are kind of hard to find. I ended up purchasing a 'parts kit' (IE Slide plus small parts) .

For $400 with box, papers and mag I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. If I am remembering correctly the 45acp version is a little bigger than the 9mm and .40 versions.
You're correct, I found an old American Rifleman article that details the SW99 .45's weight and dimensions:

Does anyone know whether the SW99 .45 takes a different recoil spring assembly & weight than the SW99/P99?

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
It is larger. The .45 model must be larger due to the fact that the .45 cartridge is longer than 9mm/.40 cartridges, which means the magazine must be longer front to back, which means that the magwell must be longer front to back. It also means that the slide must have more travel to reliably feed and eject rounds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The grip and slide are both a little longer. The dimensions and feel are a little different, the SW99 .45 a little more blocky. The recoil spring/guide rod is longer.
I'd get it at that price, if you like the idea of a p99 in .45 - they're a little uncommon. Mags are a little hard to find and can be pricey. Mine has been 100%
Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Line

Audio equipment Gadget Wood Wire Cable

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thank you all for your prompt feedback. Is the .45 SW99 dimensionally larger than it’s 9mm SW99/P99 counterparts?
Yes. The SW99 is slightly larger in both the grip and slide.

I find it still comfortable and not so much bigger as to cause issues.

I believe in the bottom left of this photo I have a SW99-9mm and a SW99-45

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice collection Angry Hippo. Now you just need to put some real sights on that PDP! ;)
No kidding! In my initial review of the pistol my greatest disappointment was the sights. Otherwise an excellent pistol.

I need to take a new family portrait, though. I've since added another P99c 9mm and a SW99 Compact in 40SW.

I'm still hunting for a Melonite PPK from Ft Smith but considering a vintage .32 might be an acceptable substitute.

·
Administrator
3,631 Posts
No kidding! In my initial review of the pistol my greatest disappointment was the sights. Otherwise an excellent pistol.

I need to take a new family portrait, though. I've since added another P99c 9mm and a SW99 Compact in 40SW.

I'm still hunting for a Melonite PPK from Ft Smith but considering a vintage .32 might be an acceptable substitute.
The stock sights are best viewed as disposable dovetail protectors.

I know you know that. I'm just teasing you. I'm sure you'll get around to replacing the stock sights at some point.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your feedback, especially those of you with an SW99 in .45. Super helpful. Where have you found replacement recoil spring assemblies? Finding ones for the standard P99 in 9mm was hard enough last I looked.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback, especially those of you with an SW99 in .45. Super helpful. Where have you found replacement recoil spring assemblies? Finding ones for the standard P99 in 9mm was hard enough last I looked.
I believe I found mine on e-bay. Weren't cheap.

I found my 'parts kit' on gunbroker. The 'parts kit' was essentially a SW99 that for some reason had to have the frame destroyed/discarded so they put the slide and all the small parts in a baggie. Probably turned in during a gun buy-back or perhaps police confiscation. Potentially a broken frame, but not so likely on these guns.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The stock sights are best viewed as disposable dovetail protectors.

I know you know that. I'm just teasing you. I'm sure you'll get around to replacing the stock sights at some point.

Believe it or not I'll probably keep the stock sights. I purchased my PDP not necessarily as a 'collectable' but to add to the collection. I shot it twice and... well, that has been it. When it sits next to a Q4 SF, P99 the PDP- as good as it is - it just doesn't get brought out very much. Heck, even the Q4 hasn't seen much trigger time because at heart I'm a DA/SA kind of guy. Might be because the first pistol I ever handled was an M9.

Plus - Maybe, just maybe, my PDP will be one of the rare "original no lug optic cut" versions that becomes highly desirable in 30 years. Best to keep it stock. ;) :rolleyes::LOL:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well obviously I bought it hahaha. Condition is extremely good, just a bit of wear on the right muzzle end and a few light scratches. Seems to include everything except the manual and medium backstrap.

I’ll hunt down a few extra mags. How much do they typically go for? Also will hunt down a spare recoil spring assembly, although this one appears shot very little so I’ll probably be fine for a few hundred rounds to test it out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well obviously I bought it hahaha. Condition is extremely good, just a bit of wear on the right muzzle end and a few light scratches. Seems to include everything except the manual and medium backstrap.

I’ll hunt down a few extra mags. How much do they typically go for? Also will hunt down a spare recoil spring assembly, although this one appears shot very little so I’ll probably be fine for a few hundred rounds to test it out.

Nice pistol! That was a really good pick up.

I'd expect to pay $30 to 50 dollars for magazines on this gun. Potentially even higher because they really aren't readily available so one can really name their price to a certain extent. In any case I'd not pay more than $75 dollars or so as a hard ceiling, even for NIB pristine mags.

I PM'd you a link to a seller with one (no affiliation).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice pistol! That was a really good pick up.

I'd expect to pay $30 to 50 dollars for magazines on this gun. Potentially even higher because they really aren't readily available so one can really name their price to a certain extent. In any case I'd not pay more than $75 dollars or so as a hard ceiling, even for NIB pristine mags.

I PM'd you a link to a seller with one (no affiliation).
Thank you for your assistance. I’ll keep an eye out for a spare recoil spring assembly. Do you know whether S&W produces small batches of them from time to time? I’m wondering if worst case an uncaptured one from another make/model of the same weight could be used.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts