Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SW99 with the DA/SA trigger but there is no decocker.I have not been able to figure out a way to put it in DA mode(decocked) with a loaded chamber.My question is,is it safe to carry it cocked(SA mode) with a round in the chamber? I have found out they were made for the New Jersey state police with changes that they wanted SW to make and then didn't want the pistol's.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sounds like you don't have a SW DA/SA.

If it is new, then your gun is the "0L" type, which is basically a quick action without a decocker for disassembly.

If I'm right, you needn't decock your SW99 at all, it is perfectly safe to carry around with a loaded chamber (think Glock or Springfield XD), no worries, just get a good holster.

-stunks

p.s.  reread your post, and it is possible you have a wierdo SW99 variant, but still, it is safe to carry around in SA, but do invest in a quality holster.

p.p.s.  if this is the case, then you really just have a SAO, strange.  There is NO way to decock this gun, right, then the only way to decock would be pulling the trigger, and with a cartridge in the chamber, that would be a bad idea.  Furthermore, the discharge of that round would cause the slide to cycle and load another round, and set the gun again for SAO fire!!!  Wierd.  Are you sure you don' t have a SW990L?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It say's SW99NJ on the slide.Also if you rack the slide(unloaded,safe direction)and pull the trigger, it will reset to DA mode.Unloaded,it is a regular DA/SA.If loaded,you can't access the DA mode.Strange to say the least........

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wierd stuff, looks like you've got a SAO on your hands.

If it is truly a DA/SA that has been modified, at least the first SA pull is the so-called anti-stress pull (long and light).

-stunks

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think you posted your question on AR15.com - someone there posted a long explanation about your variation in the Walther or S&W section (I forget, I read it last night) - check it out. I think it's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind having one, just for the collector's value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ShipWreck;I have been searching all over but I can't find the article you are talking about...............

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Go here:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/groupee....1100159
-----------------

Part of the discussion:

My understanding of the situation is that the NJSP, over the objections of Smith & Wesson, insisted on the elimination of the decocker. Smith & Wesson obliged but this led to a bizarre manual of arms. Starting with an empty pistol one could insert a loaded magazine, chammber a round, and top off the magazine. This would leave the pistol ready to go in double action mode. The problem came when one fired a shot. The pistol was now cocked, trigger in the rearward position, with no way to decock the pistol. This required removing the magazine and clearing the pistol, then pulling the trigger to return the pistol to full double action mode, then loading it all over again. Rather clumsy and awkward especially if one was involved in a shooting and had to holster quickly.

My understanding is that only after NJSP saw the folley of the operating system they requested against the objections of S&W did the pistols start to have their "functioning problems" leading to their replacement.

When someone asks why they just spent x number of dollars on new pistols that you want to replace right away it is much easier to blame functioning problems than to explain why you ignored the manufacturer's advice and ordered a pistol with a complicated manual of arms.

My understanding is that the guns function fine and are as servicable as any other as long as you don't mind dealing with the odd manual of arms.

Again, this is my understanding of the situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts