Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm another nice job on the hardchrome....

looks good ShipWreck

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not the barrel - On the decocker and extractor - Yea, they did that again.

I didn't worry about the barrel - Any finish will always show some wear where the barrel and slide meet. Otherwise, the barrel is fine. But, yea, those two spots are nice

·
Registered
189 Posts
Awright, ShipWreck... your photos have inspired me to the point of taking action. I sent my SW99 .45 along to Tripp for the same treatment BUT with a "brush flats" option too (based on seeing some of Lunde's photos of that on HKs...hoping it is more on the 'subtle' side than 'pimp'.) They will have it in their hands today, so the 10 day egg timer is ticking.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kewl. Be sure to post those pics.

IMHO, the looks in person increased tremendously. I really like my SW99 - right now, it is my fav pistol. I do pretty well with it at the range.

1 thing to be aware of - When I got my P99 compact back, it worked fine right away - The SW99 wouldn't lock back after the last round in the mag. I tried oiling and cleaning the slide stop, but it still did it. I finally sprayed some CLP on the extractor and that small part on the bottom of the slide that you can depress. After doing that, it worked fine. I think with the new finish, there was zero lubricant on some of the internal parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, yes... and no. I did get it back within 10 days of sending it to them. They even did an expedite to get it to me sooner (Friday 2/24) than it should have taken. That's the good news. The not so good news is that I noticed a couple of "imperfections" and sent it back to them the following Monday without ever putting it on my frame or dropping the barrel into it.

I noticed a small "swipe" of an area on the flat of the slide just below the extractor that appeared to be where the "brushed" finish (or polish) didn't get done and still showed matte (satin.) It carried a little bit into the rear serrations. On the underside of the slide just in front of the decocker (plunger opening), there is what looks like an "air bubble" that popped or perhaps was where a pin to hold the slide up while it was being hard chromed. I didn't get a good picture that shows the "swipe" (you had to be at the right angle and in the right light) but here are a few I took before putting it back into the box:

The pics don't do justice to the "brushed flats" work either. The brushed flats option does not produce an ultra-mirror finish... it's a bit more subtle than that... and looks pretty nice IMHO.

I was bummed to send it back, and it was nice of them to do an expedite without me specifically asking them to, really it was, but I had my expectations a little higher. I am confident they will get it back to me done right.

I expect it to show up very soon. They would have had it in their hands for the second time on Feb 28, 2006 at 1:15 PM (so says FedEx tracking.) When I get it back...again... I will be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can someone please provide details/links to who is doing this custom finishing? What other services do they offer? Can I have a better black finish applied to my slide and can they re-laser etch the details back onto the slide?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mambro @ Mar. 08 2006,4:51)]Well, yes... and no. I did get it back within 10 days of sending it to them. They even did an expedite to get it to me sooner (Friday 2/24) than it should have taken. That's the good news. The not so good news is that I noticed a couple of "imperfections" and sent it back to them the following Monday without ever putting it on my frame or dropping the barrel into it.

I noticed a small "swipe" of an area on the flat of the slide just below the extractor that appeared to be where the "brushed" finish (or polish) didn't get done and still showed matte (satin.) It carried a little bit into the rear serrations. On the underside of the slide just in front of the decocker (plunger opening), there is what looks like an "air bubble" that popped or perhaps was where a pin to hold the slide up while it was being hard chromed. I didn't get a good picture that shows the "swipe" (you had to be at the right angle and in the right light) but here are a few I took before putting it back into the box:

The pics don't do justice to the "brushed flats" work either. The brushed flats option does not produce an ultra-mirror finish... it's a bit more subtle than that... and looks pretty nice IMHO.  

I was bummed to send it back, and it was nice of them to do an expedite without me specifically asking them to, really it was, but I had my expectations a little higher. I am confident they will get it back to me done right.

I expect it to show up very soon. They would have had it in their hands for the second time on Feb 28, 2006 at 1:15 PM (so says FedEx tracking.) When I get it back...again... I will be sure to post some pics.

Well, I am sorry to hear that. It sounds like their quality has gone down recently. I am VERY happy w/ my 2 slides. But I sent in a TRP 1911 to have the frame chromed and the entire slide covered in his cobra coat. They did a horrible job. Many of the small parts on the frame had copper colored marks, and the cobra coat came out terrible. Some of the parts did not fit well either.

I sent it back a 2nd time, and it came back fitting ok, and the chrome was fine, but the cobra coat still was not good. I was very irritated. I was gonna send it back a 3rd time, but I ended up trading it for a USP and some $.

I had assumed that they could do just slides decently, but I said I would never send them a complete gun again. Now, with  your story, I do not think I would use Tripp again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tripp recieved my P99 a couple of days ago and we had a great talk about what I wanted done except for when there was some confusion as too what and where the slide stop/release was. Not sure why. These posts make me nervous. I hope all goes well for yours and mine. I'm now concerned about the cobra coat and I'm considering canceling that part since it's not neccesary.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the SW99 .45 slide I sent them I requested the Cobra Coat on the decocker and extractor in black like ShipWreck's. I do not anticipate a problem with those pieces and they appeared to be fine (nice coating) when I sent the slide back. I would expect to have to lube it (per ShipWreck's findings) for reliable operation. The parts would have to be bone dry to get coated. I have no idea if Tripp puts any lube on the pieces when things get put back together.

Nitrex, what work are you having done since it sounds like you sent them your whole P99. Was that just to have them do the slide stop/release lever too?

I too am hoping for success the 2nd time around. I know my SW99 is not a fancy show piece and not nearly as pretty as some of Lunde's gear that Tripp has worked on (
), but I would hope the same degree of quality work and attention to detail would be done on everything that comes in and out of their facility. It does not take long for word-of-mouth (or keyboard) to spread. I'm going to remain positive on it and let the group know what happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mambro, I did send the whole pistol. I'm having the slide matte hard chromed and the decocker and slide stop cobra coated. As for the rest, I intend to keep it a secret until I can post pics. I believe shipwreck knows, but I hope he helps me out here. If it comes back like I want, it may be the beginning of a very expensive habit. Some will love it and some will hate it.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahaha :p

Well, I would have done the slide stop too, but I didn't know how to take it off, and sending the entire gun in is too expensive.

The cobra coat on those tiny two items came out fine for me on both slides. It was just the entire 1911 slide I was having done in cobra coat, and they kept screwing up such a large piece.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts