Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I'm considering a nice condition SW99 in 9mm with three mags, box and paperwork for $275. I'll try to get it for less, but at $275 what says the hive as to value? I already have three first gen Walther P99's in 9mm with the AS trigger, but an SW99 would be cool to have as well...if the price is right. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
Yep, excellent price, if the pistol is in good condition. 8ell, for all intents and purposes, its a rebranded P99....Walther made the frame and all the innards, while S&W made the slide and barrels......very similar to the Magnum Research arrangement.

I'd probably do a little whining and offer him $250 (while trying not to smile). If he turned that down, I'd whine some more and pay the $275. After I walked out the door, I'd have a BIG smile on my face.

Ya snooze, ya loose.....so go make that deal. :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sho nuff!!!!:D

DB YES.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
A great price if the pistol checks out. A different story if the Shoot Straight $339 for the 9mm still held.

Here's my latest track on the model:

Walther P99 AS Pistol in 9x19. Blue Book of Gun Values (39th Edition) indicates between $435 in 95% condition and $550 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 64 recorded prices for this model gun from $300 to $775 over a period of 4 Yrs 11 Mos ending July 5, 2018. The average price as of that date was $501. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. Adjusted to two magazines. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $629. The last 14 prices I have for this model since 5/20/2018 range from $350 to $775 averaging $488.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A great price if the pistol checks out. A different story if the Shoot Straight $339 for the 9mm still held.

Here's my latest track on the model:

Walther P99 AS Pistol in 9x19. Blue Book of Gun Values (39th Edition) indicates between $435 in 95% condition and $550 in 100% condition for this gun. I have 64 recorded prices for this model gun from $300 to $775 over a period of 4 Yrs 11 Mos ending July 5, 2018. The average price as of that date was $501. No refurbs, no refinishes, regular sights. Adjusted to two magazines. All represented as 95% or better. No distinction for import location or engineering revision, if any, no special editions, no distinctions for box, papers, tools. Current or last MSRP is $629. The last 14 prices I have for this model since 5/20/2018 range from $350 to $775 averaging $488.
Paid $519.93, shipped for my fullsized current production P99 in January. And $399.97 shipped for my MR9 last October (current price is the same, but shipping is now free rather than $20 extra).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback folks. My first P99 is a 1st gen in the olive drab frame in 9mm with the AS trigger that I inherited from my grandfather; I think he paid $500-ish for it new back in 2004. My second P99 is an early black frame 1st gen imported by Interarms and still sports it's original split trigger. I got into that one entirely in trade with items I had $250 or so into. My third one is another 1st gen in a black frame in 9mm with the AS trigger produced in 2004 that I bought used from a well respected dealer in 2014 for $300 - it had 1,200rds through it.

I also bought the SW99 that induced this thread. I ended up buying it for $240 cash. Condition is very good, I'd say 95%. It sports night sights which are dead, otherwise it's stock. Included three mags and the original matching box. It's missing the small and large backstraps and manual, the later of which S&W is sending me a copy of. I'd like to find a small backstrap for a reasonable price as the smaller straps tend to fit my hand best.

Neither P99s nor SW99s are highly sought after locally, so it's possible to find them often for excellent prices. Despite what appears to be a local trend, they seem to have a dedicated following elsewhere in the country, in particular P99s with SW99s less so if at all.

Pictures will be up soon. In the meantime these are my P99s. The OD P99 has since been retired; the later production 1st gen P99 now serves host duty for my suppressors.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I also bought the SW99 that induced this thread.
I've heard before that the SW99 barrels were thicker than the P99 barrels in the 9mm models. Hopefully someone with both can tell me if this is the case.

What I heard was that the slides for the 9mm and .40 SW99 slides had the same size hole at the end where the barrel slides through, and that S&W made the 9mm barrels thicker to fill up that space. I've also heard from an SW99 armorer that the SW99 and P99 barrels were heat treated differently as well.

Images like this seem to give this possibility some merit as far as I'm concerned:

As well as threads like this:

https://pistolsmith.com/smith-wesson-pistols/6389-sw99-barrel-swap.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard before that the SW99 barrels were thicker than the P99 barrels in the 9mm models. Hopefully someone with both can tell me if this is the case.

What I heard was that the slides for the 9mm and .40 SW99 slides had the same size hole at the end where the barrel slides through, and that S&W made the 9mm barrels thicker to fill up that space. I've also heard from an SW99 armorer that the SW99 and P99 barrels were heat treated differently as well.

Images like this seem to give this possibility some merit as far as I'm concerned:

As well as threads like this:

https://pistolsmith.com/smith-wesson-pistols/6389-sw99-barrel-swap.html
I can compare them side-by-side this weekend with a pair of calipers

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I appreciate it. I believe it was mentioned on this forum a little while back, but I never got a chance to ask anyone who actually owned a 9mm SW99 and a 9mm P99 at the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate it. I believe it was mentioned on this forum a little while back, but I never got a chance to ask anyone who actually owned a 9mm SW99 and a 9mm P99 at the time.
My 1st gen P99 and SW99 barrels have some dimensional differences. Namely:

Length (back of barrel hood and the end of the feed ramp to the muzzle): P99 - 3.99"; SW99 - 4.04"
Width (mid-section of barrel): P99 - .55"; SW99 - .52"
Width (muzzle): P99 - .55"; SW99 - .59"

I'm waiting on a small backstrap for my SW99. Once I receive that I'll do a comparison review of the SW99 vs. 1st gen P99. I have a variety of cheap steel, aluminum and brass cased 115gr ammo that I intend to run through the SW99. But so far my impression of the SW99 is very positive. More to come soon :)

P99 barrel top, SW99 barrel bottom:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I appreciate the measurements, and look forward to the comparison.

It appears as if the P99 was designed as a 9mm pistol and then redesigned for the .40 caliber, whereas the SW99 upper was designed for the .40 and then redesigned for the 9mm.

Is the breechface on the 9mm SW99 wide enough to fit a .40S&W round? Are the 9mm extractors the same between both pistols?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts