Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a used sw99 in .45 and have some problems with it. I sent earl’s repair service an email about it to see what he had to say about it. Here is his response-

“The 100% German Walther Modell P99 spare parts are in stock, as is everything on our website: www.carlwalther.com . Please send your pistol to our Virginia location listed below and we can repair your pistol for you. Please advise.

Sincerely, Earl

Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
2414 Pulaski-Giles Turnpike
Route #100
Pearisburg, VA. 24134
540-921-0184
540-921-0183 fax“

Before i attempt to put a firearm in the mail, i thought i would see what people here had to say. Also, i was surprised by his response since this is a sw99 and not a p99 (even though its all walther p99 inside).

Here is a copy of the email i sent him-

“I recently bought a used sw99 in .45. I had never seen a dirtier gun than this when it came into my ffl. The recoil felt gritty when pulling back the slide. I noticed with the trigger in the short sa mode, the slide could only be pulled back 1/2”. I cleaned everything with an old toothbrush and then went through everything i could reach with alcohol on a patch. The barrel only required 2-3 patches which was surprising. Afterwards, dabbing all the slide contact points and slide rail with ballistol. I replaced the recoil spring assembly with a new factory assembly. Putting it all back together, the gun functioned much smoother but it was still getting hung up when retracting the slide when in sa action mode. Pushing the decocker would allow the slide to function properly. Also, the slide functions normally in as mode (long single action pull). At this point i noticed if i dry fire the gun, holding the trigger down, and rack the slide, the gun would go into double action mode, with no resetting of the striker or trigger. This happens about 2 out of 5 times of attempt. I am not “riding“ the slide and my fingers are clear of the decocker. I have a mr9 and p99c so i know how the gun should function and all internals look the same. I have stripped the slide and cleaned everything there and it is still operating the same. I am wondering if someone may have messed with the trigger bar or something in there that had created this issue.

I dont know if i need to replace some of the internal parts and which parts to replace. I am not sure if those are compatible with p99 parts (being .45). Do you know what could be causing this and how i can go about fixing it? And if you have the parts needed.”

Ive tried to provide plenty of detail, anticipating any questions that may come up. Any and all thoughts are welcome

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm surprised that Earl is willing to do anything with the SW series since it's not a German firearm.
For instance he doesn't do much with the Smith and Wesson PPk's etc.

If you received it that dirty it might need to have a deep cleaning.
I would spray the frame with simple green and soak it in a container with water and diluted simple green.

I'd also look at completely stripping the slide and making sure the firing pin channel and extractor are scrubbed clean.

It's really not that difficult, there are some P99 disassembly videos on YouTube that show how to do it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Me thinks you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Earl can absolutely diagnose and fix your pistol. Send it to him.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Me thinks you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Earl can absolutely diagnose and fix your pistol. Send it to him.
No doubt Earl is great I'm sure he can fix it if the SW99 just needed a good deep cleaning but I'm sure parts will be an issue for him since Smith and Wesson made the slide and Walther Germany made the frame, but they never made a P99 in 45 (I drool at the thought of one ) and I'm not aware of interchangeable frame parts from the P99 to the SW99 in 45 ACP.

When I bought mine 5 years ago Smith and Wesson still had some parts, but they might have depleted their supply.

To the OP- where did you get a factory recoil spring? I wouldn't mind having a spare.

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Reading the post again, I'm thinking there's something amiss in the sear assembly (could still be dirty) or maybe some ware/damage to the striker foot, as the single action sear should catch and hold the striker when the slide is brought all the way to the rear and then back forward. If the single action sear doesn't catch the striker, that'd mean the trigger certainly won't be in SA mode, and you'd wind up in DA mode. Is it dirt, excessive ware, or damage to the sear or striker??????

Earl has the expertise to diagnose and fix. As for Earl having the parts, IDK.....he may have some squirreled away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i did disassemble the slide and clean everything in there. It was easier than i thought it was going to be.

Walther did make all the components inside the frame and holding it next to the mr9, the parts look the same. At least it looks like the size of the Sw99 45 frame doesnt translate to larger components. From what ive heard, smith only made the (bare) slide and barrel. Even all other parts in the slide are made by walther (decocker, striker, springs) not sure about the extractor though. Surely, earl knows which parts are compatible and what isnt.

Im just reluctant to put the gun in the mail especially if its something i can fix. I think ill try out some compressed air in it and maybe the simple green. If that doesnt fix it, ill ship it off.

Thanks for all the responses

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Yep, and based on your statement 'I had never seen a dirtier gun ', I'f it were mine, I'd be removing the sear housing assembly, then, disassembling the sear housing and give everything a good cleaning and inspection, then reassemble and see how she acts. BUT, if that's beyond something you feel comfortable doing, then just send it to Earl.

Yes, Smith and Wesson made the frames and barrels and Walther made/supplied everything else.

Here's mine. Actually, they were mine, until I sold all but one. Yep, they've all got 'long' paddles too....so does my MR9. :giggle:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking thats exactly what i am going to do. Ive taken out all that on my glock 42, it was kinda a pain to get back together but it is pretty small. This shouldn't be too Difficult.

I have the same mr9, i hate the front sight set screw issue, love everything else about it. The gun seems to melt in my hand. Those longer paddles is a nice mod. Not only access to the paddle being just below the finger, but the added length gives it more leverage. I have gotten pretty use to the shorter paddles though so its probably not a route ill be going. But nice work!

·
Premium Member
13,610 Posts
Okay, they you might find this helpful. Go to the link and download the P99 AS parts diagram https://www.carl-walther.com/fileadmin/uploads/media/partsdrawings/P99_AS_268_84_50_l.pdf

When you pull the sear housing assembly out, be careful as one of the pins in the sear housing can simply fall out. The single action sear spring has a long and a short leg. I don't remember which leg goes on top, so when you remove it take a good look to see how it sits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i got the whole sear housing assembly out with this help:

Nice tip about the spring long leg and short leg, old fart. Getting that spring was the only part that i fought with, at least until i got my 4 month old to stop crying and i got a chance to figure out what i was trying to do. I did find some hidden carbon and debris inder the sear lever spring.

Got everything cleaned and back together and it is still having the same problem. All the parts looked good, maybe wear on a part or a spring? I think this is getting mailed to earl. Im guessing i dont need to go through an ffl?

So i did notice something, when i pull the trigger and hold the trigger tight to the wall, rack the slide, the trigger and striker dont reset as i have already mentioned. But, if i pull the trigger, ease up on the trigger in the slightest amount after it hits the wall, rack the slide, the trigger and striker reset. With the recoil of an actual round, id say it would cause the trigger to come off the wall enough to reset. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's time to send to Earl, I was hoping you wouldn't need to send it out but based on your issues it's best to have a professional look at it.

You don't need an FFL to send it but I'd give him a call to see if he had specific instructions on how to send it in.

Please update us when you get it back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got a used sw99 in .45 and have some problems with it. I sent earl’s repair service an email about it to see what he had to say about it. Here is his response-

“The 100% German Walther Modell P99 spare parts are in stock, as is everything on our website: www.carlwalther.com . Please send your pistol to our Virginia location listed below and we can repair your pistol for you. Please advise.

Sincerely, Earl

Earl's Repair Service, Inc.
2414 Pulaski-Giles Turnpike
Route #100
Pearisburg, VA. 24134
540-921-0184
540-921-0183 fax“

Before i attempt to put a firearm in the mail, i thought i would see what people here had to say. Also, i was surprised by his response since this is a sw99 and not a p99 (even though its all walther p99 inside).

Here is a copy of the email i sent him-

“I recently bought a used sw99 in .45. I had never seen a dirtier gun than this when it came into my ffl. The recoil felt gritty when pulling back the slide. I noticed with the trigger in the short sa mode, the slide could only be pulled back 1/2”. I cleaned everything with an old toothbrush and then went through everything i could reach with alcohol on a patch. The barrel only required 2-3 patches which was surprising. Afterwards, dabbing all the slide contact points and slide rail with ballistol. I replaced the recoil spring assembly with a new factory assembly. Putting it all back together, the gun functioned much smoother but it was still getting hung up when retracting the slide when in sa action mode. Pushing the decocker would allow the slide to function properly. Also, the slide functions normally in as mode (long single action pull). At this point i noticed if i dry fire the gun, holding the trigger down, and rack the slide, the gun would go into double action mode, with no resetting of the striker or trigger. This happens about 2 out of 5 times of attempt. I am not “riding“ the slide and my fingers are clear of the decocker. I have a mr9 and p99c so i know how the gun should function and all internals look the same. I have stripped the slide and cleaned everything there and it is still operating the same. I am wondering if someone may have messed with the trigger bar or something in there that had created this issue.

I dont know if i need to replace some of the internal parts and which parts to replace. I am not sure if those are compatible with p99 parts (being .45). Do you know what could be causing this and how i can go about fixing it? And if you have the parts needed.”

Ive tried to provide plenty of detail, anticipating any questions that may come up. Any and all thoughts are welcome
I am having the same exact problem with my SW99 .45acp as you are, I should have read your post a little closer because I sent Earl a similar email with this problem yesterday. When I purchsed mine it had showed very little ware on it. It was in such great condition it could have been sold as new. The only thing that have replaced on it was the guide rod and went with a stainless rod and I don't think that would creat a problem. Have you had any luck resolving the issue.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I still think the OP's issue is magazine spring tension since less rounds don't cause the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have it packaged in a box and i need to send it to earl. Just been working 50-70 hrs the last couple weeks.

This happens without the magazine being in the gun so it cant be magazine related. I think its just worn somewhere, maybe bad trigger job attempt. The trigger seems like it might travel too far back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts