Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve got a SS PPKS-1 that took a trip to my GS for trigger work. Right after, Walther CS took the slide in for rear site repair since when I bought it, the top 1/3 was broken off. Trigger is much smoother, she’s beautifully accurate and such a sweet shooter. Felt recoil is so much more pleasant and definitely will NOT be a carry piece. You’ve got photos from my recent posts.

Facts about the gun:
Stainlesss
Houlton ME Post-recall serial (MGMike)
Extended beaver tail

My GS who polished the trigger also replaced the main spring with a lighter one. Out of 100 rounds (Armscor & Fiocchi) had 3 FTF. Dimples on the primer cap so I’m thinking light strikes, based on previous posts on the topic. I called him to report it and asked if we should return it to factory spring strength. He said “That, or use a lighter firing pin spring.” He also added that before we look at doing that he wanted me to try a couple boxes of Federal and/or Winchester. He mentioned that European ammo uses harder primer and thought US-mfg ammo might perform better.

Questions/commentary from the team here re:
1) lighter firing pin spring and how that might help?
2) US vs Euro ammo hard primer?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The Walther design is not amenable to having springs swapped out. Keep everything at factory weights. Springs are balanced to keep the pistol functional and from beating itself to death.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Doc, is it the double action trigger that is the issue? A heavier mainspring won't affect the single action much.
I'd return to the full power mainspring rather than having to be picky about ammo; the imports seem to have a better rep for reliability here as well.
The .32s are just sweethearts to shoot; I reload .32s, so I can shoot mine a bunch.
Moon

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Moon! Putting it through the paces I’ll decock it sometimes and shoot DA or just let it do it’s thing and do SA randomly. Seems to not matter. I went to the range again today with it and picked up a box of Remington and I’ll say it didn’t experience as much, out of 50 fired 2 were LS/dimpled primer. I reloaded them in a subsequent mag and they fired.

Do you know what the GS May have been referring to re using a lighter firing pin spring? I’m not sure I’m following the mechanics. Not to say I’d go down that road either, but just trying to follow logic.

For this one, she’s just going to be a safe queen with occasional trips to the range.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Doc, your GS is trying to solve the light strikes by softening the firing pin return spring, thus making it easier to drive the FP forward when struck (less hard due to the weakened mainspring) by the hammer.
If you are getting misfires even with the domestic ammo (with presumably softer primers), the straightforward fix is to revert to the original mainspring. Your smith's fix might work, but it might also increase the chance of a slamfire when the slide stops and the firing pin keeps going, due to the weaker FP spring.
The double action of a PP series is what it is; it's an early design, and there just isn't much leverage for a good double action pull.
Range queen or not, I hate it when a good gun acts up, especially one as fun to shoot as your .32.

Moon

Reactions: WiseguyDS
1 - 5 of 5 Posts