Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a .40 P99, the Smith & Wesson version a couple of day ago. I did some homework prior to purchasing and received feedback from various dealers on the P99. I did notice a few difference between the Walther P99 prior to the S&W buy out versus the S&W P99 post buy out.

* S&W .40 version has 12 round mags vs. 10 round original while the 9mm has 16 vs. 12.

* S&W changed grooves on rear of slide vs. original. Sold as an enhancement for better gripping while racking.

* S&W changed the trigger guard by removing the small incline just below the trigger. Not sure what that was for any way, any one know? Looked pretty cool though.

* S&W makes the slide here in the US while the frame is still maked in Germany.

Are there any of other differences that I have not mentioned? Has the reliability and accuracy increased/decreased/same? I have not had the opportunity to shoot my new P99 as of yet. I will get that chance this Sunday! I can't wait.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The slide serrations and trigger guard changed on the walther changed in 2004 as well.   I know s&w sells 16rd 9mm mags also for the sw99.

I have no idea what you're talking about with "buyout."  S&W makes their own version of the P99 called the SW99.  They are also the main importer of the walther P99 in the US.  As an importer they stamp their name on the slide.  Thats as far as their involvement with the P99 goes. On a P99 the slide, barrel, and frame are all made in germany and will have the eagle over n proof mark.

·
Registered
63 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Boskie @ July 10 2006,5:04)]I just bought a .40 P99, the Smith & Wesson version a couple of day ago.  I did some homework prior to purchasing and received feedback from various dealers on the P99.   I did notice a few difference  between the Walther P99 prior to the S&W buy out versus the S&W P99 post buy out.

* S&W .40 version has 12 round mags vs. 10 round original while the 9mm has 16 vs. 12.

* S&W changed grooves on rear of slide vs. original.  Sold as an enhancement for better gripping while racking.

* S&W changed the trigger guard by removing the small incline just below the trigger. Not sure what that was for any way, any one know?  Looked pretty cool though.

* S&W makes the slide here in the US while the frame is still maked in Germany.

Are there any of other differences that I have not mentioned? Has the reliability and accuracy increased/decreased/same?  I have not had the opportunity to shoot my new P99 as of yet.  I will get that chance this Sunday!   I can't wait.
1.) The P99 in 9mm comes new with 15 rd magazines now. The 10 rounders were Ban-era. Same with the P99 in .40SW. They come in 12 rounders now. The 10 rounders were Ban-era. Yes, the SW still has 16 round mags. Some feel this is a problem, as the spring has too much pressure on it with the 16th round, which leads to a few problems. P99 dropped it to 15. And there was indeed no buy-out. Walther continues to produce firearms. The importer has changed over the years though (Interarms, to SW, etc etc)

2.) I feel no major difference in the slide serrations in the back part of the slide between the two. Maybe it's just me? I would like to see the front slide serrations on the P99 though. I feel that was a nice improvement that S&W added.

3.) Walther changed the trigger guard. It was supposed to be an added security feature, but to my knowledge, it just made it a bit more cumbersome during intense or fast-paced situations. I also heard that a majority of users didn't like it, as their trigger finger would get a bit jammed between that and the actual trigger. It was removed. S&W still keeps it. I haven't really found it to be either a pro or a con of the gun.

4.) Walther handguns are 100% German made. The stamping is simply done by S&W, who is one of the very very few who can import it to the US. However, both S&W frames and P99 frames are indeed German-made. The "eagle-over-n" stampings are proof of it's German-build, and they add this on the frame as well as all over the slide. Don't let something make you think the P99 is in any part MADE by S&W. Straight from Ulm, Germany to you

You'll get a huge range of opinion on quality on the two guns. Most feel that they're both great handguns. I've heard huge discussions about how Walther's tennifer finish is better over S&W's melonite finish on the barrel. I've heard that most people love S&W's customer service, but feel their guns are a bit lower on quality.

To me, it came down to wanting to own the original. The S&W is more or less a direct copy of the P99. I wanted a complete German made gun, and I felt that Walther knew what they were doing, as they had produced the P99 longer. I have never heard of a single bad comment about the P99's, but I have heard people complain about the SW's. So much of it just simple opinion.

Accuracy on my P99 (9mm) is phenomonal. I'm not even that great of a shot

Also, remember that there is a huge difference when it comes to the SW99's and the P99 variants. Most P99 users own the P99AS, due to it's true double/single action system. The SW99 is a DAO, which lends it to be a bit more Glock-like. This was THE major consideration to why I didn't purchase the SW99, and I am glad I did. The AS (Anti-Stress) trigger is certainly something to behold. Incredibly short, light, and smooth pull. I'll find the link to the P99's brochure if you'd like. It shows the difference in pull between the AS and the QA (which is DAO.)

Furthermore, the AS has a decocker, which is always great on any gun to me. I use it all the time, and it's a great way to carry if you don't feel comfortable carrying loaded. You can decock, then recock with less than a 8mm rack length on the slide. You can even do it one handed. Love it!

There are other small differences. The current S&W's don't have the extended magazine release, which I feel is a great improvement.

So, I would think that it would come down to money and what variant you want. If you want a true DA/SA pistol, Walther is the way to go. If you want the QA (Quick-Action) or a DAO type handgun, that's where the big debate starts between P99 and SW99.

At stores around here, the SW99 is always cheaper than a P99. The P99's are harder to come by as well. My local store had to shop around before they found a brand new one. So, it might depend on your money as well as how soon you need or want it.

I know that I'm quite eager to get my hands on the .45ACP version of the SW99. That is something I wish Walther would get rolling!  

Best of luck on whatever you purchase. I think either one of them are great handguns and will serve ya well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The original P99 slides had 27 thin, closely-spaced serrations. In 2004, the slide was changed to 9 wide serrations.

The purpose of the hump in the original trigger guard was to maintain the same distance between the tip of the trigger and the trigger guard throughout the entire stroke of the trigger.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Actually, holycrickey, the trigger on the SW99 is exactly the same as the P99 A/S - It is the SW990L that is similiar to the QA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^^

Well hot damn. Learn something new every day. My range only carried the SW990's in various calibers, as well as S&W's 2006 catalog only showing the 990's. Hmmm. I stand corrected!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the information. I choose the P99 because of its anti-stress trigger, decocker and the ability to re-strike without racking the slide. The interchangeable sights and backstraps are a strong plus as well. The price was a little higher than a I like but I think it's well worth the money. So far, I'm very happy with my decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts