Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction:

I was 15 in 1970 but had been collecting Lugers and such for 3 years. My brother and I were friends with a Denver-area gun dealer, Chuck Musil-a veteran of the Red Ball express-he often picked us up and we helped out at his gun show tables-it was a great time!
My home was and again is Fort Collins, Colorado, and one day in a local gun shop ("House of Guns" on North College avenue-now long gone) I was found an odd P38 with what I only thought to be a commercial proof mark. I bought the pistol for around $125, at the time I recall nice P38s went for around $90.
A couple years later a magazine called "Guns of the World" had an article called "The Gray Ghost" and explained this was a scarce police pistol.
Years later I traded the pistol to Tom Millington outside of Chicago-he also showed me many of his collector treasures such as an Armee Pistol. I recall Tom said he found a lot of great guns at garage sales!
Years later I saw a photo of the pistol in volume 2 of Buxton's P38 book, credited to Tom.
A couple years ago sn 5759 sold for @$18k at RIA, they called it "The Holy Grail" of P38 collecting.

My inquiry:

I'm just curious if any member may now own pistol 5729 and/or know when Tom passed away. I heard that Leonardo Antaris of Historic Arms bought some guns from Tom's estate but he said not this one.
Also, I don't own the Buxton books, if a member could post a photo or scan regarding 5729 I would appreciate it!
I'll post a couple 4x6 photo scans of 5729.

Conclusion: I am happy with what I got in trade from Tom for my pistol. I don't care how much it went up in value since then. I don't miss the gun, only the people-including my parents-I have lost since way back then.

Best Wishes, Joe
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Automotive lighting Fruit Orange Automotive tail & brake light Red

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum.

P.38 S/N 5729 is on page 84 of Volume 2, Figures 5-91 and 5-92. Your pictures are better than what's in the book but I'm sure Warren was doing his best in 1984. I was still struggling with multiplication and playing with Legos so I shouldn't complain.

Here's his brief description: P.38 Police Issue, SVW45, Late Issue: eagle-F, includes FN codes

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

P.38 S/N 5729 is on page 84 of Volume 2, Figures 5-91 and 5-92. Your pictures are better than what's in the book but I'm sure Warren was doing his best in 1984. I was still struggling with multiplication and playing with Legos so I shouldn't complain.

Here's his brief description: P.38 Police Issue, SVW45, Late Issue: eagle-F, includes FN codes
Thank you very much! Joe

Registered
Yours is/was a beauty Joe.

In 1973 I had been collecting Nazi police pistols for two or three years. Another collector/dealer living in California advertised in Auto Mag that he had an svw45 E/F P38. The description was a heck of a lot worse than yours looks like. He got it from a returning vet from Viet Nam. It had made its way there from Germany. And it looked like it. Bore shot out so much you could drop a 9mm slug through it. Serial number gone, but the svw45 and the E/F were legible. But for $75 it filled my last empy P38 slot and as none had ever surfaced at that time, I felt beggars couldn' t be choosers. I still have it somewhere, as all the others are long gone. Compared to yours, I guess I got taken.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yours is/was a beauty Joe.

In 1973 I had been collecting Nazi police pistols for two or three years. Another collector/dealer living in California advertised in Auto Mag that he had an svw45 E/F P38. The description was a heck of a lot worse than yours looks like. He got it from a returning vet from Viet Nam. It had made its way there from Germany. And it looked like it. Bore shot out so much you could drop a 9mm slug through it. Serial number gone, but the svw45 and the E/F were legible. But for $75 it filled my last empy P38 slot and as none had ever surfaced at that time, I felt beggars couldn' t be choosers. I still have it somewhere, as all the others are long gone. Compared to yours, I guess I got taken.
Thank you Joe, when you dig yours up I would love to see some photos of it. Perhaps the current owner of my pistol will surface in time. I'll attach a couple photos below of 5759 from the RIA auction a few years ago, it brought over $18k. Best Wishes, Joe.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property Revolver Hood Grille Wood Gas Automotive lighting Wood Table Font Automotive tire Plank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts