Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to hijack another recent thread on this forum regarding the P99's ability to shoot +P ammo, so I started this new one.

I'd be interested in hearing from users who keep their P99 ready for self-defense/home-defense regarding:

1) What specific ammo/load do you use?

2) How often do you practice with it and how many rounds do you use during a practice session?

3) How many rounds did you use initially to verify your weapon's ability to run that load?

As always, thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Without a doubt the below named forum is the best source for information concerning terminal ballistics. "Terminal Ballistics Forum". I can't remember if you have to sign up for membership just to read the posts ---- but if you do it is well worth the effort. Testing is always ongoing on the various bullets that are made available to us. Dr. Roberts [ DOC GKR ] is a world renoun ballistics expert and runs this section for the "Tactical Forums". He lists all the famous brand name ammo along with their performance results. Remember you are looking for a minimum of 12" of penetration for the round to be considered a top performer. This distance takes into account any side angle shots you may have to take on the target.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/

To answer "some" of your questions outright --

500 rounds without failures, is the generally accepted round count for trusting a weapon for self defense useage. Many will shoot for higher numbers if they carry CCW and depend on their weapon as part of a job -- say 1,000 rounds is not unreasonable. A single pistol course can have the shooter burn a 1,000 rounds in one day ! My students will use, on average, 200 rounds every 40 minutes of range practice time shooting their "drills".

Practicing with the same ammo you will fight with is highly recommended and should be part of every range visit -- if you are serious about being "good" when the stress levels are through the roof.
Stress on the practice range is your friend.........and you should seek to add it whenever possible. Some simple ways to do this is entering structured competitions, shoot while being observed by friends or family, and placing time limits on a routine to stretch your abilities. Practicing next to a guy shooting a .44 magnum on an indoor range. You won't believe how distracting that can be while practicing your shooting drills. ;)

I know using the self defense ammo can get expensive -- but some things have a price that you just can't avoid. One note: Using Blazer ammo [ AL ] with gold dot bullets can reduce some of the cost --- CCI loads these aluminum cased rounds pretty hot, so for practicing it is great.

Hope this gets the discussion started............

JF.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I didn't want to hijack another recent thread on this forum regarding the P99's ability to shoot +P ammo, so I started this new one.

I'd be interested in hearing from users who keep their P99 ready for self-defense/home-defense regarding:

1) What specific ammo/load do you use?

2) How often do you practice with it and how many rounds do you use during a practice session?

3) How many rounds did you use initially to verify your weapon's ability to run that load?

As always, thanks.
I practice with CCI Blazer 115 gr 9mm. I used to carry 124 grain Hydrashok. Now I use WInchester 147gr JHP. I read some reviews, and they test as well as higher priced ammo (U get 2x as many per box).

I typically shoot 200 rounds of 9mm per session. Sometimes all thru 1 gun, sometimes thru 2-3 guns per trip.

As for reliability - If I can get thru 200 rounds w/o a jam, and a few hollow points, then I am satisfied. Obviously, I continue to test on subsequent trips.

This is what I've shot thru my P99 so far - I got it on 6-29-06....

P99

06-29-06---165 Rounds (15 Hollow Points)
07-22-06---160 Rounds (5 Hollow Points)
08-06-06---150 Rounds (5 Hollow Points)
08-12-06---200 Rounds
08-26-06---200 Rounds
09-09-06---215 Rounds
10-15-06---114 Rounds
10-28-06---158 Rounds (7 Hollow Points)
12-03-06---084 Rounds
12-15-06---066 Rounds
01-13-07---200 Rounds
02-24-07---123 Rounds
03-02-07---050 Rounds
03-10-07---048 Rounds

TOTAL – 1933 Rounds

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do about 300 rounds a month.

I shoot just about only WWB. This also is what I carry in the weapon for SD. I deeply believe that I should carry what I train with.

WWB is what I can afford to train with. So it is what is in my magazine this very minute.

I know some would argue that 9mm FMJ is not sufficient for SD. It is just better than my other option. 22Lr

For Home defense I would use my PS90.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I train with wwb; carry Federal Hydra-Shok 125 grain jhp. I put about 300 rounds of the Federal ammo through my P99 to ensure that it functions well with the pistol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I only buy re-loads from the range i shoot at...never had a problem...all the leo's here, buy the same ammo as well. I have 1000+ rounds through my P99!. I trust it with my life!:)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I go through a couple to a few thousand a year. No idea on the exact breakdown.

I use cci blazer for practice and winchester ranger ra9t for defense. The P99 has never failed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I do about 300 rounds a month.

I shoot just about only WWB. This also is what I carry in the weapon for SD. I deeply believe that I should carry what I train with.

WWB is what I can afford to train with. So it is what is in my magazine this very minute.

I know some would argue that 9mm FMJ is not sufficient for SD. It is just better than my other option. 22Lr

For Home defense I would use my PS90.
It's nuts to carry FMJ for self defense. Sure it's better than throwing rocks but you're asking for trouble. FMJ rounds, especially speedy zippers like the 9mm penetrate way to far for shootings with other people or property around. SD shootings will likely land you in hot water anyway if you only kill the perp. If you also damage property or wound/kill bystanders you're likely to end up in jail and financially ruined.

There is absolutely no reason not to carry JHP ammo. No one in their right mind shoots only their carry ammo. You do not need to shoot 1000 rounds of your carry ammo to have confidence your gun likes that ammo. Get a few boxes of different JHP ammo and shoot it. Guess what, your Walther will like it all. Pick one type, it can be the cheapest you can find or something exotic. Shoot a bit more. Now load your mags and carry. Practice with WWB, I do too. Use the same magazines for your practice as you use for carry (ie unload and reload). Cycle your carry ammo if you like. Some folks don't keep it longer than a half a year but quality ammo, properly cared for will go 'bang' years and years later.

Sorry for the strong response but what you're doing is irresponsible and can affect gun laws if you ever have to shoot in anger. Please reconsider. Don't trust me but ask shooting buddies you know and trust.

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is absolutely no reason not to carry JHP ammo
I am not trying to jump anybody........... but we must all remember that when giving our advice ........this forum goes world-wide and to every State.

There is a very good reason NOT to carry JHP ammo. The LAW

There are still many places in the US that considers JHP a very bad thing [ NJ I think ?? ] and have passed laws against carrying it. Heck, there were a lot of Police agencies that were not allowed to carry JHP ammo ......... I am not sure if that is still the case ?

The are countries [Italy for one ] that will lock you up for a very long time for even possessing a JHP bullet ......don't even have to have the gun that will fire it!

To argue the other side of the coin and play devils advocate -- having JHP ammo does not mean your bullet will not over penetrate. Shot placement is everything. Guys that shoot gelatin blocks all day long, sometimes forget how diverse the structure of the human body is. I have seen bullets do very strange things when shot into the chest of a person..........and have come to realize these strange occurrences are more the "norm" than the freak happening.

One example: Get a call of a disturbance in a bar. Upon arrival I am told a person came into the Bar and shot a "blank gun" off at a customer. I ask the customer if he was alright and did he know the shooter. The guy is "drunk" and tells me to get Lost ! EMT arrives a few minutes later.........and I force the guy to accept medical help and get checked out. The EMT hands me the guys shirt.....as the guy was shot at in the chest area. I saw some papers in the guy's front shirt pocket and remove them. I very nice "clean" hole was found through all the papers. When the guy sees the evidence, he all of a sudden screams he is in pain. The bullet entered the chest right on top of the left nipple........ x-rays showed the bullet took a 90 degree turn...crossed the chest under the breast bone but in front of the heart and stopped just under the skin at the right side rib cage. Minor surgery to remove the 38 caliber slug from under the skin. Witnesses claim the shooter was no more than 3 feet from the victim and directly in front of him at the time he fired.

Unbelieveable........... but true !

JF.

·
Patron
212 Posts
I am not trying to jump anybody........... but we must all remember that when giving our advice ........this forum goes world-wide and to every State.

There is a very good reason NOT to carry JHP ammo. The LAW

There are still many places in the US that considers JHP a very bad thing [ NJ I think ?? ] and have passed laws against carrying it. Heck, there were a lot of Police agencies that were not allowed to carry JHP ammo ......... I am not sure if that is still the case ?

The are countries [Italy for one ] that will lock you up for a very long time for even possessing a JHP bullet ......don't even have to have the gun that will fire it!

To argue the other side of the coin and play devils advocate -- having JHP ammo does not mean your bullet will not over penetrate. Shot placement is everything. Guys that shoot gelatin blocks all day long, sometimes forget how diverse the structure of the human body is. I have seen bullets do very strange things when shot into the chest of a person..........and have come to realize these strange occurrences are more the "norm" than the freak happening.

One example: Get a call of a disturbance in a bar. Upon arrival I am told a person came into the Bar and shot a "blank gun" off at a customer. I ask the customer if he was alright and did he know the shooter. The guy is "drunk" and tells me to get Lost ! EMT arrives a few minutes later.........and I force the guy to accept medical help and get checked out. The EMT hands me the guys shirt.....as the guy was shot at in the chest area. I saw some papers in the guy's front shirt pocket and remove them. I very nice "clean" hole was found through all the papers. When the guy sees the evidence, he all of a sudden screams he is in pain. The bullet entered the chest right on top of the left nipple........ x-rays showed the bullet took a 90 degree turn...crossed the chest under the breast bone but in front of the heart and stopped just under the skin at the right side rib cage. Minor surgery to remove the 38 caliber slug from under the skin. Witnesses claim the shooter was no more than 3 feet from the victim and directly in front of him at the time he fired.

Unbelieveable........... but true !

JF.
YIKES!!!!!! :eek: That was a 9mm FMJ???

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have tried sevral different ammo brands through all three of my walthers.

9mm
+Currently carry Black Talons (SXT SRT something like that Ranger Talon0
+Spear Gold Dot
+Hydroshock
+-Corbon
-Almigmation of other compaines atempts.(8-9 different off brands)

40 cal
+Spear Gold Dot
+Hydroshock
+Corbon
so far thats all I have had a chance to get through the gun.

In all honestly The Four top ones have proven themselves very reliable and have the magic 13" penetration and proper expansion. 10-8forums is probably the perdominate group that has industry science on the subject from varied resourses.

Also a side note. 115 grain +p 9mm has the same basic balistics as the 357 SIG 115 grain round. Note that differeing effects come when you mess with the 357 SIG grain, and I personally think it performs better at heavier weights. However the 115 grain +p is outstanding on penetration and expansion in the above noted rounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts