Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Walked into my local LGS to look at AR parts and there it was.
Just came in and was so new it did even have a tag on it.
The black finish certainly seems like Tennifer or maybe a smooth nitride. Quite satisfactory.
And my stainless now has a brother.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Walked into my local LGS to look at AR parts and there it was.
Just came in and was so new it did even have a tag on it.
The black finish certainly seems like Tennifer or maybe a smooth nitride. Quite satisfactory.
And my stainless now has a brother.

Congrats Duke! Well done. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mags are black with a stainless follower.
Pics of that and slide removed attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good plan!!
Certainly in the next day or two. I hope.
Stupid R/L keeps rearing it’s peskiness into my life.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fifty rounds of “rapid fire” at the 7 yard line.
On rounds #1 and #2 the subsequent rounds failed to seat in the chamber all the way. I suspect that was me limp wristing as I just got done shooting a scoped rifle with a modified trigger.
After adjusting myself mentally the next 48 were flawless.
Eagle brand FMJ- think 95g?

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The initial pictures really didn’t do it justice. In the flesh the black finish is just fine and sure as heck reminds me of Tennifer thought it reportedly isn’t.
But I’m a PPK fan anyway so...

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The initial pictures really didn’t do it justice. In the flesh the black finish is just fine and sure as heck reminds me of Tennifer thought it reportedly isn’t.
But I’m a PPK fan anyway so...
It may be melonite, which if I understand it, is the US approved equivalent of Tennifer. If so, it should prove to be a very practical and corrosion resistant finish. If you are planning on carrying the gun, melonite on stainless steel is a very practical choice.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Does it have a chamber loaded indicator? The 22 LR I bought does not.
Yes, the new PPK/S centerfire pistols have them as a standard feature. No .22LR versions will because of the danger of the LCI hitting the rimfire primer like a second firing pin. The .22LR P38's don't have them either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cheap is whats selling these days.
Cheap, as in production methods, not necessarily quality.

These so called, "spray-on", finishes are now popular with most major gun manufacturers these days. In their hypothetical flow charts you would probably find spray-on finishes categorized under the heading of efficiency, subsection a) cost effectiveness, which in turn, would be listed under the heading of, progress.

Part of my interest in guns is that I enjoy the look and feel of a nicely blued, well-made gun as much as I enjoy shooting them, but I'm afraid the aesthetic aspect of gun production has given way to efficiency and speed of production.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Frankly, while I admit to to being petty enough to buy or not buy guns on looks alone, sometimes practicality and functionality has its own beauty too - at least to me. The AR series is an example of this for long guns. It’s made for business.

I may be the sole voice in the wilderness here but I like the black finish, and this PPK. just fine. In fact - dare I say it? - I think I’m glad it’s not blued.
It radiates a “I’m ready for anything” vibe without worrying about dings, dongs, and other environmental factors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the opportunity to handle a new black PPK/S on Saturday and I must say I'm less than impressed. The flat black doesn't look great on a classically styled pistol that costs close to $800. Although I can appreciate the durability and functionality of the melonite, I'm glad I bought the stainless. The stainless looks absolutely gorgeous. I will not bash those who like the black though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree with Duke. I think the black is beautiful as well. Not sure what caliber Duke has, but my 22LR is a shooter and a half. I would not want to be on the business end of it. 28 out of 30 rapid fire within the 10 ring at 10 yards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is the German-made Ft. Smith PPK/S 22 and the Ft. Smith PPK/S 380 the same black finish? They sure don't look like it. I think my .22 has a bit more shine to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts