Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in adding a suppressor to my p99. From what i understand i just need to change my barrel for a threaded one, correct? I found a threaded barrel for 230 and i was gonna buy it and then i found one for 237 on ebay that said that a WBK was needed to sell. So i want to know if buying either part requires something special, some sort of document or permit. I am not in the US. My email is
[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Threaded barrels are easy to acquire, at least in the U.S., Germany, and many parts of Europe. Try this site for threaded barrels and suppressors: www.kaehny.de

It's mostly in German, but it has enough English in which you can place an order.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Guys, be careful what you recommend. Remember that accessories such as you're talking about are illegal in many parts of the US.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The AWB has nothing to do with suppressors.  They are controlled, under Federal law, like fully automatic weapons.  As long as your state and local governments don't prohibit possession by private citizens (or you because you've been a problem for them), you can have a suppressor.

Of course, you'll also need to have the money (for the $200 non-refundable tax stamp from the BATF), pass the background check, and meet the requirements regarding adequate storage (a gun safe).

One thing to consider is that law enforcement has the authority to make an administrative search of your premises if you get a suppressor or other controlled device.  They don't need a warrant. I haven't heard of the authorities really abusing this, but it does mean your front door is always open to them.

-By the way, if you do not have it on your premises because "you left it with a friend," you're toast.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
BreakerDave wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One thing to consider is that law enforcement has the authority to make an administrative search of your premises if you get a suppressor or other controlled device. They don't need a warrant. I haven't heard of the authorities really abusing this, but it does mean your front door is always open to them.
I don't know who told you that but unless you are a Class 3 dealer, this is not true. An INDIVIDUAL Form 4 holder is not subject to such "administrative searches" as far as I know.

Can you please provide a cite of the relevant ATF regulation or section of the code for this?

James

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I was told that by a couple of Class 3 dealers back when I lived in MD.  I do not have the cite, but I seem to recall the explanation having to do with the government's interest in keeping track of controlled devices and retaining a right of inspection to ensure the device is where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I believe they are wrong. You can read the ATF sight FAQ on NFA 34 and you can also read this good FAQ:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs....faq.txt

Unscheduled and warrantless inspections only apply to Class 3 dealers and SOT holders.

NFA owners only need to have their FORM 4's available for inspection should they be challenged while using or transporting their NFA items.

I was certainly concerned about this before I got my first Title II firearm, so I checked this aspect out.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a AWC Titanium Abraxas and a TROS Diplomat II (awaiting Form4).

The TROS will be set up so it can be used with both of the P99 threaded barrels (1x13mm LH and 1.5x13mm LH).

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts