Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD and am waiting for ATF to approve my AAC Ti-RANT suppressor. I could not find any sights that are high enough to see over the can, so I am having Dawson Precision make me custom height sights. They are charging me $10 over regular price per sight and about 4 weeks to make them. I decided that I wanted to stay with original sight picture (with 0.180" high front and 0.210" high rear sights). The AAC Ti-Rant is listed as 1.38" in diameter. Based on that, my calculations for custom sights are 0.300" high front and 0.330" high rear. I will post my measurements and calculations later, and hopefully an install video and review of the sights when I get them. I went with fiber optic front and black charger rear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love Dawson Precision.
Their fiber optics are IMO the best, but I only use tritium.
Their tritium style may not be the best out there for many, but on a service level, they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I like it.

Thanks for the information. Please update this thread when the front sight comes in. I'm interested in seeing it.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Hey, you'll be able to shoot over tall buildings with a single round. :D

If you were ever out canoeing and lost your paddle, you could probably use the muzzle of your PPQ. :eek:

Hey, I'm just having fun........

Dawson makes quality stuff, and those look great. Looking forward to seeing them installed along with the suppressor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sights installed

I have installed the sights and used a laser cartridge bore sight to align them. The laser dot appears in the same place in relation to the sights as the stock sights, which is what I wanted. At closer ranges, the laser hits about where the front dot is. At further ranges the laser hits right on the top edge of the front sight.

The sight picture was taken at arms length to better show the actual view of the sights. No sunlight when I took it, so the fiber wasn't glowing brightly. Also took a side-by-side picture with my Smith & Wesson M&P 9 C.O.R.E. that comes with tall sights for red dot sight cowitness.

You can see silver on the rear sight from using the aluminum tool that came with it to tap it in. Its softer than the steel sight, but silver does not wipe off. Maybe some oil will cause it to lift off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Looks great. Might try a little masking tape on the end of the drift tool or the side of the sight prior to whackin' on it.....eliminates the cleanup, other than maybe a little alcohol (No, not Jim Beam, although that might work too) to wipe off any sticky residue.

Good Job....now you just need a can, man!!!!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those look great. Did Dawson indicate if they're going to make this a regular-stock item or otherwise available for purchase? I might have to pick up a set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those look great. Did Dawson indicate if they're going to make this a regular-stock item or otherwise available for purchase? I might have to pick up a set.
The front sight shows up on their website as a regular fiber optic sight "Sight/Walther/Front/PPQ/Opt/.300T/.125W/Ramped/Tools Included **OUT OF STOCK OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS SHIP IN 1 TO 2 DAYS
050-735", so it would cost you $39 but it cost me $49 because it was a custom sight. It's great that they would use the same dimensions to offer to others. However, the rear sight is not shown under regular list of sights, so it would probably still be considered custom at this point and you would have to pay $10 more. If there is enough demand for these suppressor height sights I'm sure Dawson Precision will offer them on the regular list without a $10 custom charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Helpful

android,

I am glad you posted this. I just created an account to respond to your posts. I have just received my PPQ Navy and am scratching my head as to why this gun does not come with raised sights (or Walther does not even make them). It all seems a little silly to me. I am having trouble finding the sights I want. I am working on getting an octane suppressor and now need to find a company that is willing to make me raised sights. I would prefer to have them as night sights, but I would be happy just to get someone who is willing to help me out. I am glad I am not the only one who has wondered about this issue. Thank you for the extra knowledge about the sights for the PPQ. Yours looks great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry in advance for the necroposting...
I am interested in purchasing a set of suppressor height Tritium sights for my Walther PPQ M2 Navy. I'm moving in the direction adding the Vortex Viper through Bart, and like the idea of having the sights tall enough to view through the scope. Additionally, as the pistol is designed for suppressed use, it only makes good sense to have them.
I followed the lead to Dawson Precision, and noted that they now show a rear sight with a height of .330" tall as a standard option. The original poster advised matching it to a front sight with a height of .300", which Dawson also identifies in the description of their rear sight.
My concern revolves around the front sight. Their closest match to the front sight height of .300" is .345". The next smaller size is significantly smaller at .200".
I am not a fan of taking a file/stone to my sights, as I'm fairly(read very) OCD, particularly as it applies to my weapons. At least to the admittedly limited information I have, it seems the added height on the front sight would/should push my point of impact down. Am I overanalyzing this? Or after further review was it determined the added height was needed?
Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
LTGS, call Dawson and talk to em'. They can build you a custom height sight for a nominal additional fee. They can also assist you in determining the correct height. They're only a phone call away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
These look good and they work great for your purpose. But for me I think that the tall sights might interfere with drawing the gun from the holster. But they do look nice.

I'd love to have some good night sights on my PPQ M2 9 mm 4" barrel pistol.

But they would have to be streamlined and low profile so that they won't catch on my holster when I draw the gun out of the holster.

·
Registered
690 Posts
...The original poster advised matching it to a front sight with a height of .300", which Dawson also identifies in the description of their rear sight.
My concern revolves around the front sight. Their closest match to the front sight height of .300" is .345". The next smaller size is significantly smaller at .200"...
Good News! Dawson offers .300" front sights - I have one. Here is what I found out:

1. They only list on their site what they have in stock, ready to ship
2. If you want tritium, you can call them and they will reserve your size and ship it to you when it comes in
3. Trijicon puts in the tritium vials in their sights, so they have to wait on Trijicon's production schedule
4. Trijicon will replace the tritium vials at the end of their life cycle. (Currently about $20)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks guys. I sent them an email, but 'll give them a call, as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you give them a call, they can tell you when you could expect your size to come in while you are on the phone. I am very happy with Dawson.

·
Registered
99 Posts
android 04, you never reported back to confirm that the sight heights you ordered are tall enough to clear your Ti-Rant. I have a Ti-Rant also, so am curious as to what you found.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread: I just received my suppressor a few days ago, and never had thought about the need for higher sights. I'll give Dawson a call next week. My can is a YMH Sidewinder, it is 1.375" in diameter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts