Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, as in a previous thread, I mentioned that I recently obtained my Virginia drivers license back in January. My 30 day period is about to be up (Friday of next week) and I have started calling local shops around my area to find out if they have the p99 I want to purchase in stock (new 9mm QA). I've called about three places here in the Richmond area (the only three recommended by the walther america website) Degoff's in Mechanicsville, Green Top in Glen Allen, and Gander Mountain...NONE of them have the p99 in stock. I am going on a camping/shooting trip next saturday and would love to have my p99 by then. What does everyone suggest I do; all of them will order it for me however I'm not sure how long it will take. Also, does anyone know if they will let me order/put a deposit down on it before my 30 day period has lapsed? i.e. can I order it and put down a deposit like tomorrow even though I haven't held my ID for 30 days or more, and then pick it up on the 22nd (the day my 30 day period actually becomes 30 days)? Also, would it be quicker if I ordered it online and had it shipped to one of those FFL dealers? Can anyone recommend a good online shop/dealer? Would anyone recommend purchasing a used p99? All suggestions and advice would be appreciated...time is running out! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
007p99,

Truthfully, your best bet would be to call them, and ask what they would suggest. I haven't dealt with the other two places, but Green Top seemed to be very friendly and helpful when I called them to have a gun transferred there. My main complaint is how much they charge for a transfer ($40!).

Oh yeah, and welcome to Virginia!:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
How long it takes to get it, is usually the next day.

At least for gunshops in Portland Oregon it is usually next day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BTW: They'll probably be happier to order one for you, then to just do a transfer.

It may be less expensive to buy locally (have them order it) then to order from an out of state person, pay shipping, and pay the transfer fee.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Most shops will not charge you an extra transfer fee if you order the gun from them. They only charge a transfer fee if you buy a gun from someone else as they are devoting their time to do the transer and without the fee, would be out any profit. I would just ask all three shops about ordering and compare prices. Once you've found the lowest price ... ask them about your license status. I doubt any of them would have a problem ordering the gun and holding it until you become legal if you are willing to pay a small deposit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I got my P99 at Clarks Brothers in Warrenton, but that was back in '04, and it was like their last one. It took me months to find one that was in VA that wasn't somewhere in the boonies (well, more in the boonies, and Warrenton is already pretty out there).

Green Top doesn't believe in Walthers, I took mine in the other day for a holster fitting and got the whole glock-this and glock-that spheel. The guy didn't even know it was a P99 he thought it was one of those S&W99s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts