Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used P99 ($450.00 including tax), and according to the manual, I'm supposed to only disassemble just to the barrel and recoil spring for cleaning.
Wouldn't in make sense to go further than that, or only after several thousand rounds, etc?
Do many of you take out the striker assembly, or beyond?
Also, how should I clean the bottom portion (polymer) with all those small metal parts? Would a good teflon spray do good in this area?
And...when I replace the recoil spring (after cleaning) it seems to be just a tad bit bent, when I place it back onto the slide (under slight pressure). Does this part wear quickly and need replacing often, or is this normal?

·
Registered
187 Posts
After range visits, I just take down to the major components to clean, as with any semi-auto pistol. The polymer frame and the "works" inside can be dunked in a bucket with water/Simple Green solution, and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Then dry thoroughly with a hair dryer, and lube.
I only do this maybe twice in a yr.
With the "normal" cleaning, I'll wipe out the frame internals.
You wil need to make the call on when to takedown the pistol further, striker,etc.
Inspect your polymer guide rod after 1000 rnds.
Mine had a lot of wear after 1500 rnds, so I replaced it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kbc @ Nov. 03 2003,10:32)]Inspect your polymer guide rod after 1000 rnds.
Mine had a lot of wear after 1500 rnds, so I replaced it.
To be perfectly honest I don't ever take it down farther than the barrel and spring. I wouldn't even know how to...

People tell me to keep an eye on the rod and spring, but to be honest, I'm not too sure what to look for. Everytime I look at it, it looks the same to me. Is there anything specific to keep an eye out for, or is just in general if it starts looking like crap? TIA...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I clean my gun after every range session. I take the striker mechanism out and clean it after 3000 to 4000 rounds. I've never replaced the recoil spring, although I have one on hand just in case. But I have one P99 with over 10,000 rounds and its still going strong.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Guide Rod Inspection:
With the slide locked back/open, the polymer guide rod can be inspected. The other tell-tale sign for mine was that cleaning materials were getting caught on the rod because it was chewed up a bit and the surface was rough.
(Cause: Too many +P rounds? Rough inside surfaces of the spring?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts