Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I only know about leather holsters. In my experience, Desantis makes affordable holsters and ships very quickly. FIST makes very good and affordable holsters, but you will wait a few weeks. Brigade Gunleather makes excellent holsters, but you will wait four months or more to receive one. I've just ordered a holster from El Paso Saddlery, but this is my maiden voyage with them, and I don't know how quickly they ship or how good their workmanship is.

I'm sure others here will be better informed than I am.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Foubs makes affordable, high quality holsters but they aren't leather (don't know if you care about material). If you want high quality leather, check out Mitch Rosen.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a Mitch Rosen for my PPK/s, but it's IWB and therefore not all that pretty to look at. It certainly is put together well though.

For my P99, I have a Galco OWB (Fletch) that is a quality holster. Durable to date (about a year old), finish is nice, stiching is straight, and formed to the handgun as it should be.

Both of these are leather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like Blade-Tech holsters. They're Kydex, well made, and very quick to draw from. I've got a Fobus for my P99 to hold me over, but I don't like it at all and it'll be retired as soon as the Blade-Tech arrives. My husband prefers the Uncle Mike's Kydex Holster to the Blade-Tech simply because of the price point, but he won't even both to use the Fobus.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Before getting a holster, you have to figure out what you'll be using it for i.e. open carry, concealed carry, range use...  After you determine use, you have to decide how much you can afford...

No offense to the guys who own Fobus, but I think they're about the poorest quality, mass produced holsters I've ever seen.  I know people who have torn belt loops or ripped the holster against its rivets while drawing their pistols.  -IMHO, they're barely fit for range use...  If you want a good Kydex holster there are a half dozen quality manufacturers out there.  In addition to the ones listed above, I'd add Comp-tac, SideArmor, and Predator...

If you want leather, there are many quality manufaturers out there including large companies like Galco and small shops like Andy Arratoonian's Horseshoe Leather in the UK.  -What you should get largely depends on the features you value or are looking for.  You can get anything from a minimalist belt slide holster to the more robust pancake holster (with or without thumbbreak) to the new "Snap On- Snap Off" series of holsters that have loops with snaps so they can be attached to a belt already being worn by the user.  I believe all the big guys are starting to offer this...  I know I've seen variants from Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, and Galco.

-Think about what's important to you in a holster and then make a checklist to start ruling holsters in or out.  Once you have a short list, it'll be pretty easy to figure out what is the right one for your needs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]-Think about what's important to you in a holster and then make a checklist to start ruling holsters in or out. Once you have a short list, it'll be pretty easy to figure out what is the right one for your needs
That's pretty much how I make all my significant purchases. You should see my Excel sheets on gun safes, PocketPCs, MP3 players and other gear. Interestingly I came to the P99 more from an emotional direction although in my head I also followed a decision tree that led to a few candidates.

I hope to pull the trigger on a 2004 P99 AS tomorrow. Pun intended

1 - 8 of 8 Posts