Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is using, has used heavy for caliber subsonic ammo in their PPS 9mm?

What did you use? opinion, review?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most 147gr I shoot is for suppressed. 147gr standard pressure although not all marketed as "subsonic" should remain in the same lanes. There is a long youtube series called ammo quest on the best 9mm for the shorter barrels. They measure the FBI standards with 3-3.5" barrels. Federal HST 147, and 147+p (not subsonic) did real well. HST 150 gr was not out during that series but it was noted a slightly higher grain HST would had perfected it slightly more
I carry the 150gr HST now. I went with it to keep muzzle flip down if things get salty.

For range ammo- cheaper the better. My PPS hated Blazer aluminum cases.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most 147gr I shoot is for suppressed. 147gr standard pressure although not all marketed as "subsonic" should remain in the same lanes. There is a long youtube series called ammo quest on the best 9mm for the shorter barrels. They measure the FBI standards with 3-3.5" barrels. Federal HST 147, and 147+p (not subsonic) did real well. HST 150 gr was not out during that series but it was noted a slightly higher grain HST would had perfected it slightly more
I carry the 150gr HST now. I went with it to keep muzzle flip down if things get salty.

For range ammo- cheaper the better. My PPS hated Blazer aluminum cases.
currently, range ammo for me is either federal AE 124gr or Aquila 124gr FMJ.. they both pretty well for me.. As a defensive round I use Hornady 124gr XTP or Sig Elite 124gr V Crown.. both shoot well, consistent.. just thought about 147/150 in HST.. and thought i would try it, if it didnt hurt the PPS in anyway.. thanks for the heads up, i will watch the video.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Videos are a long series. Seems I just discovered they put out the 150gr HST results, just viewed it
. The follow up video after that cuts to the winners of the entire series. Spoiler alert Winchester Defend 147gr was the winner of the tests.

These 150gr are designed and marketed for shorter barreled CCW types. They are fine in any pistol.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've been primarily carrying 147 gr HSTs in my PPSM2 since I got it over 4 years ago. It performs well and I've never had an issue. I carry it in all my 9mm guns. If I am out I go to 147 gr Gold Dots or Hi Shoks which I keep a supply of as well.

Reactions: Frank_Castle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been primarily carrying 147 gr HSTs in my PPSM2 since I got it over 4 years ago. It performs well and I've never had an issue. I carry it in all my 9mm guns. If I am out I go to 147 gr Gold Dots or Hi Shoks which I keep a supply of as well.
good to know.. i picked up several boxes of HST 150gr. and will try them out this week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts