Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that Steyr's recoil is less than the P99... making it more accurate for after shots... any idea.... thanks. Though I am sold with the P99... but I can only own one... hope I can have both...

·
Registered
232 Posts
About the only thing more accurate than the P99 would be a target pistol. As far as less recoil, any handgun with a lower bore axis will have lower percieved recoil, The Glock 19 for example. The big thing that turned me off from the Styer, personally, was the potential lack of available parts in the long run.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have both in 40 cal.
I like both enough that I will qualifying with each as a duty weapon this year.

The Steyr is a bit heavier and has a much lower bore access. The walther is lighter and can easily be felt in comparison. The Steyr has a bit longer sight radius and slide length.

The perceived recoil of the Steyr is much less and I can make double and triple taps a lot faster with the Steyr.

The grip on the Walther is way way superior and as such it "seems" to be more accurate. Of course the AS trigger is great. The Steyr has a Glock like trigger though it is considerably better (cripness, reset, take up). The walther rails are molded into the plastic. On the steyr everything including the rails is built on a sub frame assembly that is attached to the ploymer frame, sort of like an open bottom bathtub. Essentially the Steyr is the minimum amount of steel needed to make a functioning weapon, then polymer for you to hold onto, very highly modular design. This what makes the trigger so much better than a glock. The reset is fast, the reach of the trigger is shorter than a Glock

Steyr is slowly but surely getting it's act together and will have parts and service in house in the USA . My understanding is it will be by the end of the year.

Right now if you want a 9mm get one of the M9's through CDNN (40's all sold out). At the current price it is a screaming deal. Once they are gone the new MA1 series will be closer (slightly less) than a Glock.

I really really like the Steyr and my walther also. I just endorse the Steyr because at the current pricing there is nothing that can compete. You can always get the Walther later as S&W as the importer is a large operation and availability will be there.

of course there is a certain "Panache" that comes with the Walther, after all if it's good enough for "James 007 Bond" it should be good enough for anyone. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd go with the Walther. I have owned two Steyr M9s. Both had several failures to extract and several failures to go into battery. Both also liked to bounce brass off the top of my head. The last M9 that I owned had 23 stoppages in about 3500 rounds. My P99 QA has had one in about 2500 rounds.

In its latest catalog, CDNN is selling the P99 DAO for $340 and the P99 QA for $400. I suspect that these guns are not the latest version of the P99, however.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think Madecov summed it up nicely. Most of the problems that owners have experienced were related to fouling of the extractor channel. The tolerances on a Steyr are much tighter than a Glock...they are a combat pistol but they are designed for the "Glock Torture Test". Regular cleaning and a detailed stripping from time to time seems to have cleared up most of the problems that we've heard reported on the Steyr Club forum.

I wouldn't get rid of my P99 for a Steyr...but if I had an opportunity to buy one at the current prices, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's a very comfortable pistol that will quickly work its way onto your list of favorites!

Jim

·
Registered
328 Posts
The MA1 is exactly the same pistol. Only the polyner frame was changed.
well, not exactly. The extractor plunger is now rounded instead of having a bevel. This seems to have been done in order to make assembly easier in that there is no longer a proper orientation of the plunger.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My $400 CDNN P99 QA was an 03 frame but it was definatley brand new. It loostened up alot from use over the first 300 or so rounds. I've got almost 2000 through it now with no complaints. Only thing I've done to it was swap over the 4lb Wolff Glock striker spring which dropped the trigger pull to 2/3 stock. Made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cawdor @ Aug. 01 2005,16:05)]Neither regular cleaning nor a new extractor solved the problems with my last M9.
I guess I just really have to pay $200 more extra for the P99! That's the last option I've got here then.  But I guess its worth it.  I really like the M9 though and what I am actually concern about is the availability of parts in case it will require service.  Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cawdor @ Aug. 01 2005,16:05)]Neither regular cleaning nor a new extractor solved the problems with my last M9.
You wrote that a new extractor didnt fix the problem.... was that a free replacement... didn't they replace or fix it for free.  It should carry a lifetime warranty to go with it, right?    

1 - 11 of 11 Posts