Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen my handguns in a while, so I opened my handgun safe to make sure everyone was still happy.

Hello, PPS. Rack-click, Rack-click. Bye bye.

Hello, PPK/S. Rack-click, Rack-click. Wieder sehen.

Hi, little TPH. I'm just gonna fondle you for a minute. Back you go.

Wie gehts, Herr P.38. Rack-click. R---. Ra--.

Ra--Ra--Ra--Ra--Ra--Ra--!!!

:(

The slide will only go back about half an inch, but with a vigorous yank (maybe not the wisest move) it will go back about 85%, enough to turn down the takedown lever, but no further. Then I had to whack it on a footstool to get the slide back into the fully closed position.

Hammer cocks fine. Trigger release works fine. Safety decocker works fine.

Now I'm going to have to call around and find someone who knows their way around a P.38.

:mad:

Any clues to what's going on?

:confused:

Premium Member
Since you are able to get the slide back far enough to rotate the takedown lever are you able to remove the slide completely ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you are able to get the slide back far enough to rotate the takedown lever are you able to remove the slide completely ?
No, it needs to go back another quarter-inch (can't) for the slide lock to engage, and even with the takedown lever turned, it still needs to go back about another inch so that the slide can be picked up at the rear (disengaged from the rails) and moved forward and off the frame and barrel.

Put short, it's in a state of can't-be-disassembled.

Premium Member
even with the takedown lever turned, it still needs to go back about another inch so that the slide can be picked up at the rear (disengaged from the rails) and moved forward and off the frame and barrel.
Are you sure that you're not confusing P38 disassembly with that of the PP ? Once the takedown lever has been rotated into position the slide and barrel should just slide forward.

Is the hammer cocked when you move the slide forward ? The slide won't come off unless the hammer is decocked first. Try removing it with the saftey on "Safe".

If that doesn't work it could be that the firing pin locking lever or the hammer lowering lever are stuck or broken. Those are what prevent the slide from coming off if the hammer is cocked.

Premium Member
No, it needs to go back another quarter-inch (can't) for the slide lock to engage, and even with the takedown lever turned, it still needs to go back about another inch so that the slide can be picked up at the rear (disengaged from the rails) and moved forward and off the frame and barrel.

Put short, it's in a state of can't-be-disassembled.
It's been in the safe so long that you have forgotten how to take it apart.

M

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been in the safe so long that you have forgotten how to take it apart.

M
Reading your post and the preceeding one made me remember the proper disassembly.

So I immediately went upstairs to take a whack at getting the slide to move more than a teeny bit so that I cold flip the takedown lever and then move the slide, barrel/locking block forward and off the rails.

Then I had a Twilight Zone moment.

Then slide retracted back like butter and locked up on the slide release lever (had an empty mag in the grip).

Released the slide and it went into battery like normal.

Removed the slide/barrel, but couldn't see anything bent or damaged or obstructed.

Went back together just fine, and passed the function check.

I have no idea why it went from perfectly normal to completely abnormal and then back again.

Thanks y'all for getting the loose nut behind the pistol fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts