Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Tanner gun show in Denver, CO last weekend.

Most of the usual booths were there this time around (although I didn't see a couple of the usual mag vendors).

At one of the booths that focuses on selling new guns I found an oddball among their offerings.. A Walther PPS Classic in .40Cal

Marked at $450. It was a little rough looking with a few deep scratches. BB proof code and stamped imported by S&W.

I ask the lady, "is this a used pistol" to which she responds "nope, these are all new".

I tell her, "Really now? Because this pistol has been discontinued for years and the proof marks indicate it's a decade old, not to mention the conditon"

She shrugged... Had no idea what a german proof mark even was, much less what it meant.

Anyways, I already knew it was used but was frustrated she wouldn't admit it. Asked them if they'd go down on price and they wouldn't budge a dollar... so it didn't go home with me. Had it been LNIB I'd probably have bitten, but this sucker had some cosmetic issues that would be hard to overlook at the $450 price point.

I also saw a S&W SW99C in .40cal at this show. Thing was dirty as hell and seemed like it had seen a fair amount of use. No significant blemishes but just looked very, very used.. Marked at $400... folks at the booth unwilling to budge on price... didn't go home with me.

Ended up going home and looking at guns online. Had been looking for an M9A3 for a while when I found this new thing... M9A4 they're calling it... and it's optics ready! A modern P-38 anyone?

Ordered it. Now I have to decide whether my new RMR goes on my PDP or my M4... or if I need another RMR :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gun shows I've been to in Kansas are mostly overpriced junk. I only go just for the entertainment, and that's not very often anymore.

The best find I happened across a few years ago was a couple new Walther PPK/S .22 magazines for $20 each. Packaging was dusty but there they were. I thought the springs might be rusty but they turned out just fine.

When they can be found (at least at the time) they were at least $45 each. Now I see Walther has them for $35 + shipping.

-------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I, too, mostly hit the gun shows just for entertainment value and to chat pistols, politics and bs with other like minded folks.

Agreed that most of the stuff at gunshows is rather overpriced. Every once in a while you come across a find and haggle down to a fair deal. I've never gotten a 'steal' though... not once... ever!

Best find was I got a LNIB PPS Classic in 9mm a couple years ago at the Tanner gun show for $375. Haggled him down from $425. Older guy who wasn't a dealer but an an enthusiast with his own table of mostly collectables. Considering the M2's were going for about $299-350 it didn't really feel like a 'deal' but I told myself... this thing is discontinued, LNIB examples don't show up every day, grab it cause you ain't gonna see another one of these for a bit... and you know what? I haven't seen another PPS Classic for sale in person since! (although obviously they are available online. Although if you go on gunbroker the only one listed for sale right now is $425 and looks used and abused.)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Yikes. $425 for used and abused??!! I traded mine in at the height of the buying craze and got $300 for it. Figured it was fair, as it was discontinued, and the shop already had one. I am sure that guy made bank on it with all this going on. But $425, and looked like used hard and put away wet..... wow.....

I got a steal on an AR right after Obungo got elected and threatened to take everything away. They were going for $1000+, and I walked out with a skin and bones Wyndham Weaponry WW15 for $725 including tax, tag, and background checks. Was pretty happy with that. Still have that AR to this day, constantly swapping parts and uppers, etc.

Older stuff, like a Luger?? Sometimes I see them for a "reasonable" rate, but most of them are just like you guys said, shooting for the moon no pun intended. And they won't budge because THEY think that is what the pistol is worth, not the market value. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Older stuff, like a Luger?? Sometimes I see them for a "reasonable" rate, but most of them are just like you guys said, shooting for the moon
I've watched Luger prices increase in price over the last two or three years. Now, a 9mm shooter will start at around $1,700. The best value for someone looking to buy in 2021 would be the Swiss models in 7,65mm.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I, too, have seen them sky rocket in price. I just don’t get it, aside from supply/demand argument. Which is still a somewhat valid point. I kick myself in the backside day in and day out for not “pulling the trigger” on one a few years back. They sure are a fun pistol to shoot.

That is what I would be after, too, is a shooter. These things are machines, to be used.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Oh man, every variety, too!! Hot and spicy kick to just the mild stuff you can gnaw on all day. RA1, they had jerky sticks, they were like mini bologna sticks. I bought two packs, one didn’t survive the walk around the show, the other one was consumed on the ride home.

The sauces… I bought some BBQ jars from the guy I bought the AR from. Southern Twang I think was the name of the stuff. Miserable as all get-out when I exhausted my jars.

Told my wife I did the grocery shopping already. Brought home the empty wrappers from the jerky and half a dozen jars of some dude’s BBQ recipe. The look on her face was beyond priceless. I will never forget it for the rest of my days.

Now I want to find some gun shows to go to. Thanks, OP….. thanks……

·
Registered
149 Posts
I attended a local gun auction. In the listing was a "Colt Gold Cup Match" pistol. I finally got a chance to inspect the pistol and found that it was a Umarex .22. I decided that I'd bid up to $300 on it but was very soon overbid. It finally sold for $750. I don't think the bidder looked at it or at least did not know that it was not a real Colt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts