Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys, im new to the forum. I own an "original" Interarms P99 .40

So how far down can you safely strip one of these things, and what do most of you use to lubricate?

I normally strip all my mags, obviously I remove barrel and spring, I remove the firing pin mech and such, I spray the heck out of everything that I cant reach with a toothbrush and solvent, give everything a light coating of rem oil, and if im feeling really energetic I use mobil 1 synthetic autmotive grease on the places where the slide meets the frame

Also, a little off topic here but is it just me or do the S&W walthers absolutely suck compared to the Interarms walthers?

(my only basis for comparison is my Interarms P99 vs my S&W P22, the P22 has an insane ammount of wear on it)

Probably 700 rounds through my P22 and sometimes it just doesnt want to put lead down range straight, close to 2000 rounds through my P99 and it shoots right on target and is basically just broken in, really doesnt show much wear at all

thanks in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
As far as the cleaning issue goes.....you don't have to go nuts.  I just take off the slide, clean the underside of it as well as the extractor area, and re-grease the rails. I then clean the barrel, lube, and reassemble.  Probably once every two months I remove the striker assembly and clean it as well as soak the frame in Simple Green and relube.  It's a pistol.....you don't have to be able to eat off it.  

BTW......welcome to the board

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it just seems like the coatings are different, and when I looked at a new one I could see all kinds of differences... the new ones just seem really cheap to me

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think what you are seeing is Walther not taking as much time on certain process steps any more. The P99 has taken off in popularity, especially in Europe, so to speed up manufacturing, they've cut down on a few steps.

I too have noticed the difference in finish on the P99's. I don't think Walther is buffing them out as much as they use to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they use a different coating, i know where the slide rubs the wording side of the chamber I have small lines of wear

but on some of the new ones, the coating LITTERALLY flakes off. its not nearly as durable, a friend of mine probably has 400-500 rounds through his brand new P99 and it looks like mine probably will when I get to 3000 or maybe even 4000 rounds... he also takes care of his guns much better than I do

I dont know *shrug*

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is the date code on these P99s with the flaky finish?

Is there any way to track the month of manufacture from the serial number on the weapon? My date code is AD (2003) and I don't notice any undue wear. I have 900 rounds through mine and I have slight wear on the extractor area and the barrel hood, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
FastSS,

Is this P99 a .40? And does it have the German proof marks? (eagle over N). If you answered yes and then no, you've probably got one of the few S&W built P99's. And yes they probably use Melonite for a finish, rather than Tenifer. I've seen this "flaking" on the S&W SW99.

Devin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I answer yes and yes on mine, and I put 300 more rounds through it yesterday, although my groupings were absolutely terrible

Thankfully the target area is a 1 foot diameter circle, or I wouldnt have hit it at 20 feet

Normally I can put a hundred rounds through the 3 inch center ring at 20 feet, and put another hundred through the 4 inch inner two rings at 30 feet

send out a sil to 50 feet and put 5 good solid head shots and 5 good solid chest shots

I dont know, my shooting was off and my p99 was acting really weird, it felt normal, kicked a little to one side and sent half of the spent casings right back towards my face

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find that if I clean it too well, the trigger gets rough. Takes a hundred rounds or so to put another layer of that smooth, smoky soot back on the right spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts