Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was bored so I did a tear down of my P99 to inspect the internals and came across something a little unsettling. There are gouges (2) in my striker lug on the inside face. I could see light polished marks as normal, but there are jagged gouges. Should I be concerned? It hasn't failed me. If I have to buy a new one I will. Can't find much information on it so I decided to post about it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,264 Posts
I don't believe those are gouges. I believe they are a result of the manufacturing technique....more like imperfections.....the kind that don't really hurt anything. I've seen similar marks/imperfections in more than one striker and these pistols just keep on keepin' on.

I'd say 'No Worries'.....BUT, I'm no gunsmith.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it still fires fine and nothing mates to that surface from what I can tell.
I just went through pictures from my Wolff spring tests and see the same marks and never noticed it then. You're probably right that they've always been there. I just don't understand how their tooling could have done that.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It is normal.

Both my P99 and my PPQ have these marks, and the striker from my P99 has been going strong for the past 15 years.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
To be completely honest, I'm not 100% certain if they are, or if they are MIM.

I've been following these pistols (the P99 especially) for years now, and the amount of broken strikers that have been reported is extremely low. Off the top of my head, I can only recall one instance where I heard of a striker breaking on a P99, and it was the small tab on the top of the striker that impacts the decocking button.

EDIT: After looking at the strikers again, I'm leaning more towards them being MIM parts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone with someone at Walther Arms (probably would have been a good place to start). He looked through a bag of strikers and said most of them had tooling marks in different places and that mine happens to be one that had more markings. Said there's nothing to worry about and that's just how they're made. Still seems strange, but I suppose I have enough answers. It doesn't really look like MIM. There are swirls and lines on some surfaces. That could just be a result of facing and polishing though. The inside of that lug must not be considered worthy of cleaning up. Understandable. It doesn't contact anything or get seen hardly ever.

·
Premium Member
14,264 Posts
Yep, I've actually seen quite a few strikers with some sort of imperfection here or there. The ones that bother me are on the shoulder, underneath the spring. You've got to remove the spring to see these. And if they're bad enough they can have a very negative impact on the smoothness, or lack there of, of the Double Action trigger pull....I'm referring to P99's and SW99's. I've reprofiled and polished a few of these things and had VERY good results in smoothing out the DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My QA is as smooth as silk and breaks crisp. Don't know why other people say it's not and why there's that "un-suck" thread on it. I guess if it ain't broke don't fit it. At least if anyone else notices this and wants to know about it, this thread will be here for them :) ... if they know how to search, that is.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a 2007 QA (date code AH). I've never seen an AS striker in person, just Bing. I found a picture of a rusty one and it's pretty different compared to mine.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's a 2007 QA (date code AH). ...I found a picture of a rusty one and it's pretty different compared to mine.
That was the reason I asked. My early 99 AS striker is precisely and very cleanly milled from a forging and looks quite different from yours, which --forgive me-- is practically crude by comparison. That's certainly not a MIM part (which are precisely molded and need no further finishing), but instead looks like a badly-machined investment casting, cleaned up with a coarse file. What on earth happened to Walther's vaunted quality?

However, if it works satisfactorily the gouge is not a cause for concern.

M

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I took these pictures for another thread on this topic over a year ago. You can clearly see the imperfections on the strikers. The PPQ striker is the one with the silver spring while the P99 striker is the one with the red spring.

I didn't feel like taking the striker assemblies apart, but you can see the imperfections under the springs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts