Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was looking at brass bulging just now I noticed that the striker impact is not a smooth dimple. It's almost like it hit and was then pulled away sideways. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Seems to me that this could be caused by a worn firing pin return spring. Looks as if the casing is being ejected before the pin is retracted.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a AE (2004) QA chambered in .40 cal. and it does the very same thing. The primers have a secondary impact mark like the one above and the brass seems to bulge quite a bit, is this normal? I don't recall seeing this bulging or extra mark on the primer on the M9s, is it a walther thing?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ Jan. 31 2005,2:47)]Seems to me that this could be caused by a worn firing pin return spring. Looks as if the casing is being ejected before the pin is retracted.

Just a thought...
Bhegh, that sounds scary. Less than 1000 rounds. Better call S&W and see if they know anything.

2nd: I posted a few days ago that my .40 brass bulges as well (Wolf thread). I don't like it much but havent' heard of any issues because of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Load is too hot (if reloads) or firing pin is not retracting fast enough. Take it apart, clean and lube, try it again. If reloading, back off .1-.2 grains.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No reloads. Just plain 180 Grain S&W plinking ammo. Getting close to 1000 rounds. Never removed/cleaned the striker unit as the manual says it's not needed.

Boy oh boy another problem. Great.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mine do the same thing. Have been doing so since 1998. No problems at all. Same thing with the brass buldging. Its a thing with the .40 caliber. Take a look at a case after a Glock has fired a .40. Thats a buldge! I haven't looked at a case fired from an M9. Was the M9 a .40 or 9mm?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nocturnal, yes my issue M9 like all others is chambered in 9 mm. I hadn't considered there being a huge difference between .40 and a 9 mm case.
So what I have put together from the board members is that .40 cal cases bulge, and the secondary striker mark is normal?

Should I call S&W anyway?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to Walther. The gentleman said that indeed the striker is not retracting as quickly as they like but that it's normal and should not cause any extra wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts