·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Nope..

Where did you pick it up from?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks like a used gun in need of a clean & lube.

·
Premium Member
8,650 Posts
Looks like the guide rod wasn't properly placed. Both the damage to the frame and the barrel scratches lead me to think that this could have been the culprit.
The circular mark on the slide is just brass markings and can be cleaned right off. The dings on the frame also look cosmetic (FOR THE MOMENT) but make sure the guide rod is seated. I think that should cure the problem presupposing the guide rod itself isn't damaged.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Looks like the guide rod wasn't properly placed. Both the damage to the frame and the barrel scratches lead me to think that this could have been the culprit.
The circular mark on the slide is just brass markings and can be cleaned right off. The dings on the frame also look cosmetic (FOR THE MOMENT) but make sure the guide rod is seated. I think that should cure the problem presupposing the guide rod itself isn't damaged.
How many times have you witnessed your guide rod and recoil spring not seating? I feel one would really have to try extra hard to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked this up from a local shop in Clarkston, MI (Accurate Firearms).
I took it to them after I first saw this and they re-assured me it's NEW.

Ugh...this sucks.
The barrel now looks like this (After 50 rounds through it)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Doesn't look new to my eyes..

I would take it back and protest, try to work out some type of deal.

Do they have a range there?

Appears that gun has had more than a few boxes cycled through-- did you get a decent price/package?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I picked this up from a local shop in Clarkston, MI (Accurate Firearms).
I took it to them after I first saw this and they re-assured me it's NEW.

Ugh...this sucks.
The barrel now looks like this (After 50 rounds through it)
I would contact Walther and find out the shipping history of your handgun. If it's new then it sure got worked a lot in shipping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with others . New PPQ has no wear on its barrel.The wear that I see on the picture can be after shooting hew hundred rounds from the pistol . When I got my PPQ 9mm magazines where slightly dirty (red plastic had some black gunk on it) but slide nor barrel had any wear. Try to get some-kind of discount or better yet exchange the gun .

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I agree with others . New PPQ has no wear on its barrel.The wear that I see on the picture can be after shooting hew hundred rounds from the pistol . When I got my PPQ 9mm magazines where slightly dirty (red plastic had some black gunk on it) but slide nor barrel had any wear. Try to get some-kind of discount or better yet exchange the gun .
Nothing but my money back would I except. That gun was sold as new and it was over priced being it is a used Walther.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seen a slight amount of wear in my PPQ M2 9mm after the first time I shot it. It looked similar to the amount of wear on top of the barrel that you are showing. It looks like the recoil spring is rubbing there. I am watching it carefully. It didn't rub anywhere else like yours did.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would honestly try to get an exchange or something. That looks more used than my sold as used PPS did. I was looking at a P99 they had at the GR gun show. Now I will be very vigilant at their tables.

·
Premium Member
8,650 Posts
How many times have you witnessed your guide rod and recoil spring not seating? I feel one would really have to try extra hard to do it.
Mine? Never, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen and those marks on the frame sure look like the guide rod was scraping there.

I'm not married to this opinion but for the life of me I'm not coming up with another explanation.

Well maybe some misguided dremel magic???:eek:

And yes this sure doesn't look like a new Q. But even after +10,000 rounds my barrel and frame look pristine compared to this Q.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think people are taking advantage of the shortage of new PPQs. And they are cashing in their old high milage Qs and making a killing. It just takes a second to remove the slide from frame, and inspect the parts. If a store won't allow this process, i would walk out quickly.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
If someone shot this pistol a lot, I would expect to see more wear on the barrel where it contacted the slide on its way rearward and forward. I don't see this in the pictures. The wear/damage I'm seeing wouldn't come from a high round count.

The wear on the frame shouldn't be there, but I bet the pistol is in fact new. It looks like the recoil spring is sitting too low, and is scratching the frame around the locking block while moving forwards and rearwards. The scratches on the dust cover look as if they came from the slide, on the side of the circular area on the front where the front of the recoil spring sits.

What are those white specs on the inside of the slide? Are they material from the coating on the recoil spring, or are they pieces of polymer from the frame?

Either get in contact with Walther and send the pistol in, or return the pistol. Something looks wrong with that pistol.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
^^

I don't believe this was/is a "NIB PPQ"

not saying thousands of rounds, but its been more than factory fired-- which is why I asked about a range at the shop

...what about the breech face?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Balance always seems to have a good grip on almost issues that have popped up on the Q thus far and his knowledge in firearms period shines through... And.....

I totally agree, and I was looking for the post that it was indeed IMO a newer Q with the guide rod and spring out of spec riding low etc, if its not, the guide rod, something in that area is misaligned and causing those issues, you should contact Walther. The barrel or something or all is rubbing around in bad ways. What you should see in a new Q IMO is nice clean signs of wear, like on contact points, you know when everything is getting comfortable. Your Q looks like it has bad depression and is irritable as hell. Again contact Walther send in gun and I'm sure the prognosis is out of spec something.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts