Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean even cheap Plano boxes like this one http://www.gunaccessories.com/Plano/ProtectorSeries.asp (1403-00) have a small eylet for adding a padlock. Not against burglary of course but to keep the kids out.

Right now I wrap my gun (unloaded, with empy mag, closed action) in a microfibre cloth that I tie down with a piece of rope. This goes inside a small carrybag that can be closed with a padlock. This I transfer between house, car and range. In the car I have a steel tool box that can be strapped to the car to prevent casual theft. At home I have a safe.

It would be nice to use the Walther case but I guess it's too large to fit in the safe anyway.

Does anyone store their gun with the slide locked open and the supplied cable lock? Seems like that wouldn't be great for the gun.

Anyway, still figuring out the best methods for me to store and transport my gun. Accessibility at home isn't an issue yet as my wife won't allow a loaded gun in the home. That'll change eventually but for now it was quite a victory that I have the gun at all so I'm taking it slow

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most, if not all handguns come in similar boxes. Manufacturers probaly think it is unnecessary(and would add to the final price) as most people don't carry their guns around in plastic boxes. There are a wide variety of lockable padded boxes out there for those that would need them. The gun also tends to slide around in the factory box if it is transported. Another option is a range bag.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adding a little ringlet would add to the price of the case? I doubt that
I'm talking about moulding a ring in both shells, not adding a lock to the case.

I think I saw that the Glock case can be locked with a small padlock. I'll ask to see one next time I'm at a dealer. I don't have enough experience to know about other manufacturers.

I'm interested to hear how people transport their guns. The padded cases from Uncle Mikes for example seem handy and cheap ($10).

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
-Get a range bag.  You can put the gun and all your gear in it and be done with it.  Bagmaster makes a good assortment of range bags.  The one thing I like about Bagmaster is they make other stuff, i.e. luggage and camera gear bags, so their range bags don’t broadcast that you’re carrying a gun.  

-I’ve had one for about six years and it has held up very well.

Regarding the case thing-  Just one look at the hinges and plastic latches tells you that it’s not designed for any serious use over time.  Besides, even if you were to mold a hole for a metal lock, you'd still only have the minimal protection of a plastic case.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently using a bag I used for carry-on for some time. Nicely incognito. That would be a requirement for sure. I saw a nice range bag from Uncle Mike's but it was black with red 'Gun ...' lettering on it. No thank you :) I was looking at those heavy duty tool bags from Craftsman. Stick some cheapo tools in the outside pockets as cammo.

Yes, the case provides minimal protection only, I understand that. A Range bag provides even less (knife through fabric or ripped open zipper) but it's more durable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
On the plastic boxes we a talking 1/8th inch plastic. Or as Breaker Dave said the hinges are a weak link. One knife pass and it's open. It depends on the buyer but most of us would rather have a nice gun instead of paying more for a better rinky dink box.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I never meant that a range bag would provide any meaningful security.  I was saying that the plastic case one gets with a gun has minimal security value and if you wanted something for transporting (not security), a range bag is an improvement over the case you got with the gun.

I agree completely with the desire to stay away from the tactical black bag.  -If one is dealing with a para-militarystyle rifle, a person's choices are so limited that one is virtually stuck with something that screams, "Gun!"  Since you're dealing with a pistol, you're free from that limitation.  

-For years, I used a backpack and later an old gym bag as a range bag, but I had to have all of the guns in some sort of gun rug or case because neither bag was organized well on the inside.  When I decided to step up to my current range bag, the two side pouches have room for two guns and padded sleeves for each.  I know there are more elaborate bags then my 4 gun model, but it fit my needs well. Additionally, I have space for holsters, mag pouches, mags, hearing protection, shooting glasses, a few tools, and a lot of ammo.  I like how the space has been divided and that I can rearrange how it is divided.

Of course, if you have something different that you enjoy, by all means stick with it...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use my hip.
Sometimes I like to mix things up a little and switch from a IWB holster to an OWB holster.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BreakerDave, which model bag do you have? I only have 1 gun at the moment but that may change

I got a few of these little bags:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32282

for my cleaning supplies and ammo. They also had small nylon bags that don't appear on the site. The smaller one holds my gun, the larger one gun books and magazines.

P88: does your range allow you to walk in with a holstered weapon? The ones I go to that's not allowed. Must be unloaded and bagged.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nocturnal,

Yes, they do allow me to walk in with a holstered weapon. I have been to ranges that don't, but I don't frequent them very often.

I feel that if I'm going to be carrying concealed, why should I not be allowed to carry on a gun range of all places.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Wow, I have to admit that it's been so long since I bought a range bag, I had not realized how expensive a good one has become.  The range bag I have is basically an older version of this one.

Range bag

-I bought mine from one of Bagmaster's distributors and it was $60-$80, but that was six (now closing in on seven) years ago.  Like I said, it has held up very well and at this point I've basically paid $10 a year to have it.

Regarding ranges and carrying holstered, that really depends on location and how the business decides to run things.  I live in Vegas and I can carry in a loaded pistol holstered; however, when I lived in San Diego the local ranges had a general prohibition about anyone carrying loaded pistols holstered unless they were uniformed officers.  -I'm sure plainclothes detectives were fine, but the idea was the general public could not regardless of whether they had a CCW.  I'd often see Border Patrol, Customs personnel and off-duty officers, just bring in their duty rig, but it was hanging off the person's shoulder and not around his or her waist.  I have found some of the ranges in southern states to be inconsistent on it because policy varies with ownership.

-This was years ago in S.D., but one retired Deputy-Sheriff almost got himself shot going into one of the ranges because he had a gun in his waistband and he was carrying a loaded .12 Gauge in a quasi-tactical manner.  The situation was resolved quickly but the retired deputy's feelings were hurt that one of the employees didn't immediately recognize him as former law enforcement.  -Yeah, good luck on that one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a rolling toolbox that has locks for both ends if I really want to lock it. I keep my pistols in rugs in that. I can fit three or so pistols, mag pouches, holsters, mag bags (usually 8 spare mags per firearm), speedloaders, cleaning kits, tools, eyes & ears, targets, pasters, staple gun, timer, range book, and a minimal amount of ammunition in the box (at least 100 rounds per caliber so if I want to just run out and shoot a bit I can just take the box, most times I also usually cary an ammo can in a regular duffle bag with 500 rounds per gun). It's got a nice removable tray that is quite handy for sorting out the smaller stuff. It also doubles quite well as a seat for long matches, and no one but the folks at the range have a clue what I've got in there - since it is the same as toolbox that I use for my tools that I take in to my lab and folks are used to seeing me lug that around.

It cost me a whopping $25.00 at Home Depot on sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts