Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprinco.com sells steel guide rods and recoil reducers for the P99.  Anyone own one of these?  Are there any advantages to having a steel guide rod over the polymer one?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd like to know about this, too. A metal guide rod in the recoil assembly spring unit has been a problem in the Glock 19, 23, and 32, particularly, the 23. These model Glocks and their barrel and recoil spring assembly parts are roughly the same as the P99. The Glock armourers I have talked to recommend staying away from the metal guide rods.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a factory replacement metal guide rod from S&W/WaltherUSA in my P99, its worked perfectly for around 2k rounds, it just makes an annoying squeak when you manually cycle the slide.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As I understand it, the metal rod on the Glock is more susceptible to breaking than the fluted plastic rod.  It breaks with little, if any, warning and locks up the pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A metal rod breaking more often than the plastic one?
That just doesn't sound right....

I do have a tungsten recoil rod on my G34, and it's worked flawlessly for 7k rounds. Also the weight it gives to the front of the gun is a nice side-effect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The problem has occurred with the compact models, the 19, 23, and 32, mostly the 23. I have not heard of any problems in full size models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts